Tahoe idle oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the problem is indeed a leaking O-ring or other internal leak, and it doesn't get into the single digits, then it's fine. You're still well above the bare minimum in pressure and it's still up when revved/driving.
Great to hear, thanks. I'll still get it done asap but at least I know it's okay for the immediate future.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That oil pressure at idle should be just fine I would think.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I get my front differential off, wouldn't I technically be safe to drive still if I kept my cv axles on with the axle nut and bungee cord the other side so they're not flopping around? Just so I can get part of the job done while waiting for parts but can still have my vehicle to drive.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was reading an older thread on forum maybe you have read. I have 2017 with 26000 miles and it carries 24 25 lb. at hot idle.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was reading an older thread on forum maybe you have read. I have 2017 with 26000 miles and it carries 24 25 lb. at hot idle.

Your engine has a variable displacement oil pump. It reduces pumping efforts to reduce engine load when the extra volume and pressure isn't needed. But this does show that ~24 psi oil pressure at idle is "fine" as far as bearings, etc.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I get my front differential off, wouldn't I technically be safe to drive still if I kept my cv axles on with the axle nut and bungee cord the other side so they're not flopping around? Just so I can get part of the job done while waiting for parts but can still have my vehicle to drive.
Here is video you can check out that was done without lift.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your engine has a variable displacement oil pump. It reduces pumping efforts to reduce engine load when the extra volume and pressure isn't needed. But this does show that ~24 psi oil pressure at idle is "fine" as far as bearings, etc.
Thanks

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what do you guys think about this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J2PDeweese