Stability System Disabled/Engine Power Reduced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

NotJLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today was the day, but I could not get the old throttle body off. The bottom nut was way overtightened, and I goobered it up trying to loosen it.

To try to save the day, and not make my effort fruitless, I decided to replace the old throttle body sensor with the one on the brand new throttle body. But, instead of having four screws, it was fastened on the new throttle body with three screws and a rivet.

These are things you never anticipate, but it seems like it's always something.

Thankfully, the old sensor went back on and The Beast is running, at least for now.
Speaking of things you never anticipate, auto repair shops refusing to do work with customer-provided parts is one. Being nasty about it is another.

Fortunately, my go-to guy is not totally swamped, and is working me in today.

Unfortunately, my wife overheard him say that when this happened to another guy, and then to him on his GM vehicle, he replaced all three things with AC-Delco. So, there are the throttle pedal sensors on the pedal assembly and the throttle body, and then there is an actuator. When my wife heard that she questioned me as to why I was going cheap, and not doing all three.

Well, since that's the first time I heard about "all three", I could have used that reason, but, instead, I'm thinking if I just don't do anything, and let her do everything, then she would not have to waste all that energy questioning what I do.

This also means that replacing the throttle body may not solve the problem.

OP
OP
N

NotJLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of things you never anticipate, auto repair shops refusing to do work with customer-provided parts is one. Being nasty about it is another.

Fortunately, my go-to guy is not totally swamped, and is working me in today.

Unfortunately, my wife overheard him say that when this happened to another guy, and then to him on his GM vehicle, he replaced all three things with AC-Delco. So, there are the throttle pedal sensors on the pedal assembly and the throttle body, and then there is an actuator. When my wife heard that she questioned me as to why I was going cheap, and not doing all three.

Well, since that's the first time I heard about "all three", I could have used that reason, but, instead, I'm thinking if I just don't do anything, and let her do everything, then she would not have to waste all that energy questioning what I do.

This also means that replacing the throttle body may not solve the problem.
A little of everything, to get caught up. . . .

I've been reluctant to say anything about our new throttle body because you know what happens when you do that!!!!!, but we've gone around 2500 miles with no problem, knocking on wood.

We're also back up north and I had our local shop replace the disconnected air ride with a Bilstein conversion kit. I bought it online and they had no problem putting it on. They did one for our other Escalade the same way.

Anyone know what the ESV in Escalade ESV stands for?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little of everything, to get caught up. . . .

I've been reluctant to say anything about our new throttle body because you know what happens when you do that!!!!!, but we've gone around 2500 miles with no problem, knocking on wood.

We're also back up north and I had our local shop replace the disconnected air ride with a Bilstein conversion kit. I bought it online and they had no problem putting it on. They did one for our other Escalade the same way.

Anyone know what the ESV in Escalade ESV stands for?
Escalade Stretch Vehicle. Basically the same as a Tahoe vs a Suburban OR Yukon vs a Yukon XL.

OP
OP
N

NotJLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, ESV is Escalade Stretch Vehicle.

Now, what does EXT stand for?
- - - - - -
Tossing it in here, if anyone wants to replace their long-failed "air ride" suspension, I heartily endorse the Bilstein rear conversion Kit. I've done an '03 Escalade and an '04 Escalade ESV, and my mechanic had no problem switching them out.

It's nice to replace something that is more than worthless, no longer doing it's job.

The kits are $300-$350, and my mechanic charged $300 labor.

OP
OP
N

NotJLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, ESV is Escalade Stretch Vehicle. Escalade EXT is a pickup. Are you saying it stands for "extended"?

OP
OP
N

NotJLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is probably the most dangerous thing that's ever happened to us in a vehicle, & I can't believe a car manufacturer would actually incorporate a feature like this.

Feature? Huh?

In hectic Florida traffic our new-to-us, one-owner, 100K mile, 2004 Escalade ESV went into Stability System Disabled/Engine Power Reduced mode, with the TC warning light also on. This is our second Escalade of that generation, 6.0 L, AWD, and we've never had that before.

We have been driving this platform Yukon/Escalade/Tahoe for 300,000 miles, and this is a shocking first for us.

60 MPH to 40 MPH without warning!!!!! Other drivers flipping us off, us crossing our fingers and limping, left-turning across two lanes of oncoming 60 MPH traffic. The car behind us, assuming we would be moving normal speed, almost got creamed.

We've driven this car about 1800 miles, last week 1200 miles from Missouri to Florida.

It could have been worse; we were within 5 miles of home, and made it. But, this is crazy dangerous!!!!!
I see this has been going on for more than a year, and I think it involves more than the codes suggest. Back then, when it started last Winter, I replaced the throttle pedal sensor and the throttle body with an OEM one. I had not gotten a reduced power or associated warning since.

Then, a couple weeks ago the driver's seat settings were gone, probably from an accidental bumping of those door panel buttons. When I reset them, I also moved the throttle pedal a little closer. The reduced power, stability assist, traction control crap started again. I think the easy-exit button got pushed by accident, too. I hate that.

I'm thinking there was nothing wrong with the throttle pedal sensor and/or the throttle body, that something else was causing them to not be in sync. I might have moved the throttle pedal back then, when The Beast was new-to-us, setting the driver's seat.

OP
OP
N

NotJLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've asked NHTSA if they have ever looked into GM's Limp Mode technology. It's a hidden danger . . . lurking.

OP
OP
N

NotJLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a f-ed up technology!!!!!!

I've put a new OEM throttle body on and replaced the throttle pedal sensor, but my Escalade still will not run. I check the codes and erase them, but they are still there. We are, literally, stranded.

& I'm not in the mood to f around with something that is totally stupid.

I wish I could replace non-working throttle technology like I replaced the non-working air ride with conventional suspension.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2