Service dog - how can I leave the engine running when I'm not in the car for longer than 20 minutes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ReaperHWK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spend a lot of time at the hospital, sometimes (like when I'm getting a MRI or PetScan), I don't take the dog in with me.
Everywhere else, she goes with me.
I’d still bring the dog. Maybe you can get him a cool lead vest if he sits with you in the X-ray room. If I was a Dr I wouldn’t care if you had the dog there…. I’d see what accommodation they can give you. Maybe the dog can sit in an adjacent room and wait?

OP
OP
D

DaveL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry but I wouldn't leave my dog in an unattended vehicle for any length of time! Too many things can go wrong! If it is truly a service dog...take it with you!

Padraig
If I wanted a lecture, I would go to church.
I have had stage 4 cancer twice, a spine infection, my esophogus replaced with myh intestines, I can't speak, IU nearly faint when I get up, I have no balance, I'm on drugs all the time, I go to the hospital nearly every day for something and that is just the beginning of my health problems.
If you want to walk in my shoes for a week, then you can start with the lecturing, otherwise, keep your opinion to yourself unless you want to talk about vehicles.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had stage 4 cancer twice, a spine infection, my esophogus replaced with myh intestines, I can't speak, IU nearly faint when I get up, I have no balance, I'm on drugs all the time, I go to the hospital nearly every day for something and that is just the beginning of my health problems.
If you want to walk in my shoes for a week, then you can start with the lecturing, otherwise, keep your opinion to yourself unless you want to talk about vehicles.
This happens all the time with service dogs, like your supposed to educate people who are ignorant to what they do and what they are for. Many seem to think they are only seeing eye dogs so how can you be without your seeing eye dog?? Just ignorance and opinionated idiots. Yes its truly a service dog that is trained. Yes you love him and dont need to torture him with poor environments when not truly needed for a little bit. Some of the animosity comes from scammers with emotional support animals brought onto planes torturing people for no good reason. Emotional support dogs are usually a scam and I agree. Service dogs are heroes and well trained.

My brother in-laws service dog detects his low sugar. If he is with his wife (my sister) they dont always bring the dog into a crazy, loud, crowded restaurant just because they can. My sister is checking and with him. BTW people hate seeing a dog in a restaurant, so many with service dogs when not needed 100% leave them in the car running just like K9 officers do.

There are alarms if car shuts off available, temp sensors ect. Personally my car and dog are never out of my sightline when we run in for a quick bite. My dog and truck are never out of my sightline as i am too concerned with theft of my truck and dog.
But when I get gas at a rest stop and run in to urinate....I dont feel compelled to have my beautiful dog lay or sit on a piss floor...its just unnecessary for my condition.

Its a big hassle with ignorant idiots at many places with the I am scared of dogs, that dog shouldnt be in here, its unsanitary, I am allergic to dogs, Im calling the Police I dont believe thats a service dog!!!! So there are many reasons if you can to leave your dog for a short bit. Even 100% legit and legal with federal laws ADA, it can be a hassle....and it shouldnt be. Its a federal law.

But I will agree much is from the "emotional" support scam dogs, barking, lunging, and untrained that people think of............

Back to the how do you bypass the shutoff regardless of the reason??.....

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score

We all have our problems in life, and you are by no means unique, or have a corner on the market on personal problems. I've had metastatic cancer for 12 years, but you won't ever see me posting my personal issues/challenges on this Forum to make a point, particularly as a response to a fellow Forum member who expressed an opinion that I do not agree with.

Perhaps, this Forum is not for you.

OP
OP
D

DaveL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We all have our problems in life, and you are by no means unique, or have a corner on the market on personal problems. I've had metastatic cancer for 12 years, but you won't ever see me posting my personal issues/challenges on this Forum to make a point, particularly as a response to a fellow Forum member who expressed an opinion that I do not agree with.

Perhaps, this Forum is not for you.
I never complain, when you spend all your time at the hospital, there is always someone that has bigger problems than you have.
The problem that I have with a couple of these posts is I ask a question about a vehicle and I get snide remarks and opinions on what I should and should not do with my service dog and if my dog is really a service dog.
I agree with you, we all have problems and we should all treat each other respectfully and as long as you are not disturbing someone else with your behavior, we should leave each other alone. But if you start giving me your opinions on something that is not related to the topic and frankly is none of your business, I think I can reply and tell the people that I could give 2 farts about what they have to say.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that ford has a very good upfitter PDF and there are tons of options available. I would think GM has the same. A lot of times there's a 'hidden' wire loom behind a kick panel that opens the doors to all things not CAFE related to actually make a vehicle work the way the END USER wants. I'll poke around and see what I can find........

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never complain, when you spend all your time at the hospital, there is always someone that has bigger problems than you have.
The problem that I have with a couple of these posts is I ask a question about a vehicle and I get snide remarks and opinions on what I should and should not do with my service dog and if my dog is really a service dog.
I agree with you, we all have problems and we should all treat each other respectfully and as long as you are not disturbing someone else with your behavior, we should leave each other alone. But if you start giving me your opinions on something that is not related to the topic and frankly is none of your business, I think I can reply and tell the people that I could give 2 farts about what they have to say.
You are absolutely free to reply in any manner that you choose. It's a free country. We are are also totally free to ignore you.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that ford has a very good upfitter PDF and there are tons of options available. I would think GM has the same. A lot of times there's a 'hidden' wire loom behind a kick panel that opens the doors to all things not CAFE related to actually make a vehicle work the way the END USER wants. I'll poke around and see what I can find........
GM Upfitter guide is here - TONS of great information related to the electrical architecture of the vehicle - and it's free!

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just hold down the start/stop engine button when you start the car until you see the message saying "auto shutdown disabled."
Just tried this on my 2021 Yukon Denali 6.2L - it didn't work. Nothing happened at all, no messages.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan