Service dog - how can I leave the engine running when I'm not in the car for longer than 20 minutes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just tried this on my 2021 Yukon Denali 6.2L - it didn't work. Nothing happened at all, no messages.
When you first hit the starter button.......hold it after it starts till the message appears. It take a bit. Dont hit the button and come off, stay on the button till it appears. It does not keep it running, it just gets you a longer timeout. The real fix is a TSB at the dealer at your expense. GM does have a fix for a full disable.

HMMMMM. I just went outside to check the amount of time for you. It didnt work! Mind you I have done this many times. Like 50 times in one month going cross country in a 2021 Suburban.
Maybe an over the air update got rid of it??? I'll report back with what i find

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DaveL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. What does the TSB change?

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It disables the time out feature GM added. It will run till you run out of fuel. You sign a waiver and acknowledge you assume liability of disabling it. You also pay the dealer to do it, its not free.

OP
OP
D

DaveL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It disables the time out feature GM added. It will run till you run out of fuel. You sign a waiver and acknowledge you assume liability of disabling it. You also pay the dealer to do it, its not free.
Follow up question for you, do you know if that service bulletin also applies to the Traverse/Acadia? I'm also looking at the 2024 Acadia.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe this came up with the new 2020 globl B architecture and these TSBs came out regarding. This one is for the pickups. The Police package does not have this feature. I had a 2021 suburban and have a 2021 Sierra which do time out. Which is why I looked into this. The newer trucks may not have this feature?? Many had an issue with it which is why they came out with a fix. I would inquire at service department.
That new Arcadia looked very nice till I saw it only came with a 4 cylinder. GM and a new 4 cyl is a dealbreaker.

Badge

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you’ve exhausted factory options, here’s something that would work. This is a costly option but I have an older Yukon Denali XL that has 3G service (OnStar therefore stopped) so I upgraded the remote start to the Compustar Drone mobile App. Of course, you can start it from anywhere via phone and program how long it runs. Mine is set to 45 min and you can restart it as many times as desired. The fob also tells you the battery voltage and temp inside the vehicle. My use is to warm it up for the wife before loading after Mayo trips, etc. so similar use to your scenario. Of course, it’s not the best for fuel consumption or engine exhaust idling forever, but it’s about priorities. You can also keep the car running if you push “remote start” while the key is still installed and vehicle running. This lets you remove the fob to take with you but keeps the wife (or dog) warm in a running vehicle.

tenthirty2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have driven many police and fire department vehicles that have engine idlers installed. Check your area for a local squad car upfitter and they can get you a cost on installing one. They shut the car off if you step on the brake and there is no “key” detected. Not sure how reasonable the cost is but if it were me I would have a professional install it to ensure it was done correctly. Your other option, which maybe considerably more expensive, is to install a k9 system like they have for police K-9s. These systems monitor temps inside the vehicle and take an action based on the temp. An idler is probably the least expensive option. Contact a local upfitter and they can give you some options.
Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts