Service dog - how can I leave the engine running when I'm not in the car for longer than 20 minutes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaveL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I want to buy a 2022 Yukon or Tahoe.
I have a service dog and sometimes I need to leave the dog in the car whilel I'm at an appointment.
I have been looking all over the place for an answer including calling GM. GM said "in order to protect the environment, it is not possible to have the vehicle idle for more that 20 minutes and we do not support leaving an animal in the car". I think I was being read something a lawyer wrote.

The question is, can I change any settings in the conmputer to leave it running without it turning off?

Ford has forscan and I know the F150 can be updated to turn on something called secure idle. I was also told that through the interface, you can update the remote start idle time to be zero so it won't turn off.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm now looking at an Expedition or a Navigator but I would really prefer a Yukon or Tahoe.

ReaperHWK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ummm. You have a service dog, take the dog with you to the appt. All places are legally obligated to let service animals in.

Isn't it supposed to be doing you a service?

I know a few service dogs, they just walk in and lay there and don't make a peep......

OP
OP
D

DaveL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I spend a lot of time at the hospital, sometimes (like when I'm getting a MRI or PetScan), I don't take the dog in with me.
Everywhere else, she goes with me.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to buy a 2022 Yukon or Tahoe.
I have a service dog and sometimes I need to leave the dog in the car whilel I'm at an appointment.
I have been looking all over the place for an answer including calling GM. GM said "in order to protect the environment, it is not possible to have the vehicle idle for more that 20 minutes and we do not support leaving an animal in the car". I think I was being read something a lawyer wrote.

The question is, can I change any settings in the conmputer to leave it running without it turning off?

Ford has forscan and I know the F150 can be updated to turn on something called secure idle. I was also told that through the interface, you can update the remote start idle time to be zero so it won't turn off.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm now looking at an Expedition or a Navigator but I would really prefer a Yukon or Tahoe.
Previous generations had a feature that could be activated called the "immobilizer". This prevented the transmission from being shifted out of park in certain conditions.

You might find something similar in the GM Upfitter's website for your truck. I'm sure GM accommodates police cars with K-9 units.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holding the start button till you see the message is the best you can do, and it only gets you 30 minutes. We went cross country and I set the timer on my iPhone whenever we left the dog. It just not fair to the dog sometimes the environment he has to sit in, I do the same thing and leave him in car . GM does have a service bulletin regarding disabling this feature. Has to be done at dealer at your expense. I intend to do it soon. It was 175 dollars for the software and dealer time if I remember. So dealer can disable it.

Padraig

Reaction score
Sorry but I wouldn't leave my dog in an unattended vehicle for any length of time! Too many things can go wrong! If it is truly a service dog...take it with you!

Padraig

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I leave my 2 dogs in my truck all the time, but I'm rarely away for more than 30 minutes at a time. Truck on in the hot weather, and truck off in the cold weather (the Shepherds' coats are no problem in the cold).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts