Replace , cap or cover GMT900 dash...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bondservant2

Reaction score
After a year of searching I finally found the "right" Suburban 2500 for our family vacation vehicle. A one-owner 2011 Suburban LT w/LT3. 128k-mile Texas truck in very good condition. It does have a pretty badly cracked dash so the question is to replace, cap or just cover the existing dash..? I was quoted $1100 for a factory replacement - which isn't terrible I guess. But if it's just going to crack again I don't want to do that.
What have you folks done for this issue...? Also is the cracked dash a safety issue in any way...?

Thanks in advance for your replies.....

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they all crack, it has not been determined to be any kind of safety issue, there is a updated dash design and I would advise adding additional supports in key area's then it should be fine, did the $1100 quote include install? because if not that price is absurd

OP
OP
B

bondservant2

Reaction score
they all crack, it has not been determined to be any kind of safety issue, there is a updated dash design and I would advise adding additional supports in key area's then it should be fine, did the $1100 quote include install? because if not that price is absurd

Price quoted was installed....

Last edited:

Stingraysktm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm interested in this as well. I just bought a 2014 Tahoe that has a cracked dash. I got it from a chevy dealer and they agreed to install a cap on it, I'm waiting to get it back and see how it looks.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are some caps out there that cover everything including around the nav and glove box so no seems show. There was just a thread on it but I can’t remember where they got it. Ugh

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a year of searching I finally found the "right" Suburban 2500 for our family vacation vehicle. A one-owner 2011 Suburban LT w/LT3. 128k-mile Texas truck in very good condition. It does have a pretty badly cracked dash so the question is to replace, cap or just cover the existing dash..? I was quoted $1100 for a factory replacement - which isn't terrible I guess. But if it's just going to crack again I don't want to do that.
What have you folks done for this issue...? Also is the cracked dash a safety issue in any way...?

Thanks in advance for your replies.....

Any photos of the 2500 yet?

They've been popping out of the wood work around me lately. Saw two today, three yesterday and my daughter called me from work and said one was in her drive thru!

If it were me, I'd replace the dash with a new one. They cost about $400-500 and there are good videos on how to do it yourself by dealership technicians. Then I would cover it with a dash mat. Mine is not cracked and is covered by a dash mat.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed a new one in my 08 Silverado. About $450 for the dash itself but also the flat panel in front that goes next to the windshield was so brittle that it broke when removing it in order to remove the dash. That was another $300. The covers can look OK for most people I guess but they're not for me, plus if you ever need to remove your instrument cluster or the dash itself to get to , say, a hvac actuator or something else that's in there, that cover has to be replaced again since it's glued down.

2010gmcyukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re probably right but the link brings you back to this thread

cfmistry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me the stick-on cap is a no brainer. It takes 10 minutes to install, costs 1/3 as much as the replacement dash (1/4-5 if you are including labor), and looks 90% as good. Not as good as the original, but damn close. Even if you have to rip the dash apart and buy a new cover, it's less than half the cost of a new dash.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne