Migration up from GMT400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CTX-SLPR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Howdy,

I must migrated up from GMT400, both in terms of the forum and vehicle. We've had a 1998 K2500 Suburban since 2015 but it's maintenance was growing both beyond my own skills and my time to invest having gone back to grad school for a PhD in Nuclear Engineering in my 40's. We just got a 2013 Yukon XL RWD with 107k miles a few weeks ago and I enjoy the ability to double check ideas and otherwise discuss my vehicles so I've moved up here.

oBfW5e6mY4DIhWQY2gJbmz8=w1219-h914-s-no?authuser=0.jpg
k3JbbhnTnq3gGjlM3sfT4CQ=w1219-h914-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

So far all I've done is swap out those stupid, especially for a RWD, Goodyear Wrangler Ultraterrain with Kevlar for Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 3. Despite both being LT load range E all terrains, the Duelers are a massive improvement for onroad comfort and feel. The Wranglers ended up on my K2500, well worth the $265 for Firestone to swap them between the wheels.

Short list of items that need addressing
* Front seat rear height adjustment leadscrew is stripped, the backend of the seat won't go up or down so need to replace or upgrade
* Dash is cracked, because aren't they all? Now to be fair the private ownership 2500 I looked at was in good shape but it's one of only two of over a dozen GMT900s I checked out without a cracked or capped dash
* Roof paint is roached; the base coat is still there but the clear is gone and it's rough to the touch so need to sand it down and respray. Debating a cream color since black on black will be rough in the Central Texas sun but I need to repaint another car black down the line so maybe I just practice on the roof...

See y'all around

OP
OP
C

CTX-SLPR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

How many miles on the K2500 and what engine is in it?
204k miles on the Vortec 454. It is a vandalism recovery rebuilt title though. Was perfect for someone with a tight budget and good mechanical skills and time but now I'm on a less tight budget but without the time to keep after it's 25yr old needs.

The main issue that really makes it get away from my skills is basically all of the fixed glass needs to be resealed either due to sealant decay (rear glass) or that combined with rust (front windshield). I did stop the leaks with aluminum tape but I don't have the time to deal with getting the glass pulled, fixing the channels, paint it, and then get the glass reinstalled.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts