Replace 5.3 l59 with this....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RobsFreeland

RobsFreeland

Old wild land firefighter
Reaction score
Well now I have to drop support for transfer case. I got the y pipe out. Figure I could get in back in. NOT. Forgot I sawed off the ends which gave me clearance to get it out. No biggie do that tomorrow. Spent most of today just getting the driver side header done. Didn’t have room. Had to remove tire and inner fender well. Boom it’s right there. Still had to futz to get em all in. Had to feed header from below couldn’t drop down from above. It’s in. I had to lay across engine to get at bolts. Got my cardio in today.

OP
OP
RobsFreeland

RobsFreeland

Reaction score
I agree with this.

I agree with this, as well.

This is why these engines need a catch can!

No. They need to be separate since they're separate directions of flow. But, I'd be more concerned as to why you have so much oil on that side of the intake and in that fresh air intake tube. Do you constantly drive it hard? As @wsteele mentioned, check you PCV system. Yours, being a 2011, should have the updated valve cover. But, running crappy oil or not changing it frequently enough (running dirty oil) could clog up small passages such as that small orifice in the valve cover that acts as the PCV "valve". I'd pull that driver's side cover off to (1) have a decent idea of the condition of the inside of your engine and (2) to clean the cover and PCV orifice thoroughly. I'd try to blow through it to see how difficult it is before and after cleaning to gauge if there was any improvement. Clean the TB and that fresh air inlet hose, too.

Although it’s a different year I wonder if this applies to a 2004 5.3 flex also? I have no Psv valve and I hooked up both lines to one catch can. Passenger and driver hooked together.

OP
OP
RobsFreeland

RobsFreeland

Reaction score
View attachment 56630
See the link in the original post for pics on Speed Engineering website. The hose plumbing is very simple. Both valve cover vents go to one side of the catch can. I used the IN side closest to the engine. The passenger side vent tube is above the valve cover and pointing toward the front and the driver side is at the rear of the valve cover pointing up.

The OUT side of the catch can goes to two connections on the intake manifold. The passenger side connection is just behind the throttle body and the driver side is top center of the intake.

The passenger side connections are very short. I routed the driver side hoses in the space under the throttle body and above the water pump.

All the above is for a 2005 LQ9 using a 2004 5.3 flex fuel intake manifold. Others may slightly differ.

The catch can does not have IN and OUT marked, so you can do whatever you like. I got the hose & 3/8" fittings at O'Reilly's.
The clear sight tube is included with the kit. There are no instructions included.

Looks like I can splice both sides together. The can I bought has a filter like a water separator in an air line for the intake side, which I reversed . The line would back up. I want free flow in can then on the exit side the mesh filter.

OP
OP
RobsFreeland

RobsFreeland

Reaction score
Did it have pcv? Or the egr?

I don't have either one. I didn't realize the valve cover can get clogged. My covers looked good didn't even think about blockage or oil consumption.

Dropped support for transfer case and got the y pipe back into place. Headers almost bolted up lost lock washer had to go get a couple. Support back up. I'm so ffffin close. Pictures of catch can and headers.

20210205_103650.jpg

OP
OP
RobsFreeland

RobsFreeland

Reaction score
Well finished header install , a lesson in manual dexterity. Hooked up magnaflow cat back.
Fired that puppy up and low oil pressure.
Day off Superbowl. Will prime oil pump through block. If that doesn't work then on to the new pressure sensor.

20210206_114902.jpg

OP
OP
RobsFreeland

RobsFreeland

Reaction score
I did install a new oil pressure sensor, but couldn’t get the screen out. So I left it in captain obvious. Pulled the front off again, water pump, alternator, bracket for power steering pump. Couldn’t get access without doing this. Finally got the plug out of the side of the block (8mm) and put in about 1/2 quart of oil. Got most of the parts back on. Tomorrow water pump, alternator, redo catch can and will wait till it fires with oil pressure before I put in shrouds etc. . It did sound bad ass when I fired it. Just couldn’t let it run for long. I figure if it doesn’t give me pressure like a delay with a normal oil change, then something up and will go after sending unit.

OP
OP
RobsFreeland

RobsFreeland

Reaction score
Put everything back together...

Started it up and oil gauge moved this time but no pressure. Looks like on to the sensor. Damn. Took recording of tailpipe sound but file is to large. Mp4. Well back at it tomorrow.

20210209_114009.jpg 20210209_133249.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076