Replace 5.3 l59 with this....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RobsFreeland

RobsFreeland

Old wild land firefighter
Reaction score
Stay ahead of trouble? Yours has 220k on it. Its no spring chicken, but theres no upcoming trouble. Why would you waste money and time on this? If you really wanna stay ahead, go ahead and replace the ************* transmission and rear end these turds came with.

What?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Snowed here about 6 inches . hung around for three days, then rain melted everything. Weird.
Had local scan guy come over look at oil pressure sensor to see if it was working. Figured oil pickup tube was faulty. Dropped front axle and pan, it was faster this time, and you can see the o ring not sealed. Ordered part from azon should be here sat. Still waiting for order from the 6th.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L9VR3M6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_SYHWCEY4BEQYPA03J2DG

Hope this helps somebody else to avoid this problem. Cheers

View attachment 271113
Why is there only one bolt in that pickup tube? Is it the wrong one or is the oil pump different or what exactly is going on to cause that o-ring to not seat?
Edit: nvm, I looked at the part you ordered. That’s weird because my LQ4 had 2 bolts.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why is there only one bolt in that pickup tube? Is it the wrong one or is the oil pump different or what exactly is going on to cause that o-ring to not seat?
Edit: nvm, I looked at the part you ordered. That’s weird because my LQ4 had 2 bolts.
The L33 of mine only has 1 bolt. Crap design in my opinion.

OP
OP
RobsFreeland

RobsFreeland

Reaction score
On post 31 you can see the end of the tube. The flange is only one bolt and doesn’t spin around. The l59 motor was leaking at the intake manifold, I had oil leak around Timing cover and was pretty thick under the motor. My overalls are most to the point I can stand em up. I’m glad I’m doing this. New cam, etc is going to be well worth it. The timing chain was sloppy at least 5/8 of play. Just need to shove the tube a little harder into the recep. The tranny will be next. One thing at a time. I started this odyssey in dec of last year, wrong parts, delay in shipping etc. I’m fine.
I really think I dodged one here by one, doing the work myself, now I own it and am more familiar with the hoe. I would rather pay myself than be broken down on the side of the road muttering if I only did this or that and have to pay somebody else.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are solutions out there to add another bolt clamping in the tube. Here's on example (note, i can't see well in the pic to determine if your's has the flange that they say *isn't* compatible with this product. There are other ones you should be able to find should you want to.) https://www.amazon.com/Billet-Pickup-Girdle-Support-551910/dp/B0784JPH59

OP
OP
RobsFreeland

RobsFreeland

Reaction score
Ordered parts. One I ordered on the 6th, shipped on the 9th. Still not here. Gm parts. Another ( the clamp) was to be here last Saturday. Amazon. FedEx held up in Chicago and Memphis.
Ordered another clamp through summit, should be here Monday. Ships from sparks nev. need to move on.
Saw swathdiver had a turn with COVID my prayers are with him and his family.
Makes my problems seem petty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo