Rear-end swap: 8.6" 10 bolt w/3.08 >> 9.5" 14 bolt w/3.42 + 3.42 swap in 8.25" front (or else)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
5StarCustmSolutns
Reaction score
This is the GM RPO description sent to us for both pickups:

AXN = IDENTIFICATION 9.5" LIGHT DUTY BEAM

10-4 that's a copy!

The info I got came from a Parts Dept perspective. I shouldn't have used the "=" symbol. Let my excitement get the better of me. What I got wasn't a description of the RPO. It was what that RPO indicates to the Parts Dept's now, in '23. Dude said it was the only thing that came up for AXN

Yesterday my better half reminded me about the guy. We met at some event she drug me to a couple years ago, works for GM Parts in some capacity.

Sent him a picture of RPO sticker from the '11 Yukon in Savannah, Ga on LKQ. Was in process of sending him another text explaining that it wasn't my VIN, but rather one w/
RPO: AXN.....and he replied: "fluid recommendation, 2.75qts, Rear Axle"

Then at virtually the same time we text each other something along the lines of: the 8.6" takes much less, so 2.75qt would lead one to think it's a bigger housing? i.e. 14 bolt SF?

The only reason I'm even digging into this is because ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO GET THESE SALVAGE YARDS TO SEND A PHOTO OF THE AXLE ASSEMBLY......and Im trying to find a way I can verify it is what they say it is before I drive another 3hrs -or worse wait 3 days for one to be shipped here and have a 10 bolt 342 show up

Does anyone know if there's a specific option or combination of options that can be revealed in a VIN decode that indicate vehicle has a 14 bolt? I've printed VIN decode for about 10 diff vehicles and compared and haven't yet recognized one(mostly because I don't know what is physically under the vehicle that belongs to each VIN) Something like 4x2, 6.2L, 3.42 ratio??

20230222_151049.jpg

OP
OP
5StarCustmSolutns
Reaction score
Not sure why I didn't just ask this from the start? Being stubbornly independent is good and terrible at same time. But it occured to me today that I'm on a timeclock, Ive got a commitment to house three volunteer Gold Star Families for a Wounded Warrior Ski/Snowboard event coming up weekend after next at our cabin.....and being my first time, it's going to take a day or three+ to re-gear/rebuild my axle and put front/rear-ends back together

**Would anyone be willing to share the knowledge of:

How to tell if a vehicle has a 14 bolt rear assembly w/ 9.5" ring gear by VIN decode? By RPO combination? by GVWR? or any way other than having someone be physically at the vehicle to count the bolts?

I simply don't trust the online salvage listings after dealing with them for the last 10-12 days... ex: There are four listings on LKQ that have a photo of an RPO code sticker showing AXN that is, allegedly, from the donor vehicle. Three of them have clearly been tampered with in some form or another. The other is 2300 miles away

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check our PM from Monday night, I listed the trucks closest to you with 9.5" axles by their VIN. Yes, you can tell by the VIN which axle the truck originally came with.

"No Avalanche or 2012 Tahoe is going to have that axle. The Slippery Rock Denali is an AWD truck so it will have an 8.6 too.

Savannah, GA and Montgomery, AL are legit. So are the Trafford, Alabama ones. The 4 in Florida are legit too. The one in Philadelphia is correct also."

It would take me a couple hours to put to paper the VIN sequences to scan for. Will see if I can do it later when everyone's asleep.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check our PM from Monday night, I listed the trucks closest to you with 9.5" axles by their VIN. Yes, you can tell by the VIN which axle the truck originally came with.

"No Avalanche or 2012 Tahoe is going to have that axle. The Slippery Rock Denali is an AWD truck so it will have an 8.6 too.

Savannah, GA and Montgomery, AL are legit. So are the Trafford, Alabama ones. The 4 in Florida are legit too. The one in Philadelphia is correct also."

It would take me a couple hours to put to paper the VIN sequences to scan for. Will see if I can do it later when everyone's asleep.
Last I looked there were a few in the Richmond area too.

OP
OP
5StarCustmSolutns
Reaction score
Last I looked there were a few in the Richmond area too.

Thanks guys for the responses.. I really will be up against it here before I blink.. But, God willing, I'll survive and be better from it

James, Instead of just asking how you came about those LKQ's being 14 bolts, I was trying to play Sherlock Holmes and examine the listed info & pictures for patterns so I might be able to expedite going through listings on other sites...

There were a few things I caught that didn't make sense to me, which again, I should've just asked about instead of trying to find out on my own... The one in Philly- is one with a tampered RPO sticker & has AWD under source vehicle tab [which could be misprint] ; noticed that the (only) 1 (left) in Trafford & both Lake City's- have lower GVWR than my truck [which to me seemed wrong for a supposed stronger axle] ; Savannah- one of the tampered RPO sticker photos [which could mean nothing also] ; Montgomery- pics covered in dust and couldn't read [ ? ] ; 1 Crystal River- no pics at all & the other Crystal River has no RPO or GVWR sticker pics [ ? ]... But all of those (except Philly) are listed 4x2 or RWD and 6.2 or 6.0. However, none are really in driveable range.....and the concern of 3 day wait to possibly receive a 10 bolt along with the fight over who pays for the return shipping, finding another candidate, starting 3 day clock again, etc... is something I really didn't want to get into.

So please forgive me, I wasn't doubting you just trying to figure out as much as possible on my own the last few days w/o annoying you. This is as confusing as all get out anyway, combine that with getting burned twice last week and playing twister to navigate my kitchen contents in my house right now and Feb has been a blurrr lol.

You don't need to take hours to put all that down for my sake. I had no idea it was that intricate! Thought I may be able decoder VIN's and look for certain option combos to eliminate 10 bolts, instead of having to talk to junkyard dogs and shady salesman.

This is my issue and I'll get out of it. Like we talked about, it's in His hands and He'll guide me through it in a manner that teaches me something He needs me to learn in the process!

@Geotrash, VA has a BUNCH of listings on car-part.com -and- partshotlines.com. There's literally dozens, but I'm 3hrs from Blacksburg, just under 4hr from Roanoke, and 5:30 from Richmond(cousin played ball at VCU). We've always referred to our travels to the metro's around us in circular/clock terminology lol, as in if we're at the center of the ciock, Knoxville is to our to our 7 o'clock > Pittsburgh our 12 high > Charlotte our 5. DC and Philly are the longest day trips at 6hrs bc of winding routes around the most isolated part of the Appalachians. We can get to Myrtle quicker than VA Beach, which makes no sense.

Ever since the first couple days of my search, when I mentioned to you the couple of listings in Roanoke area (which turned out to be Rustburg and Bedford, even further), I decided to focus on on the closer stuff from 9 o'clock-12 (<3hrs) Lexington-2hr, Cincy/Dayton-3hr, Columbus-2.5hr, Akron/Canton-3hr, Pittsburgh-3hr and all in between; mainly because it's a difficult ask of someone to drive much further than that, spend 30min-60min onsite, then home. If it were just me -or- if these places were open on weekends it would be a non-issue. But most of my friends all had kids in the same 4yr stretch 5-9yrs ago and my step father has to stop at every rest area :D(funny but not funny)....plus I've taken him on two wild goose chases already.
I'm down to a handful of listings left in this quadrant and then it'll be the Roanoke area stuff --or- delivery and rent a 4x4 for Wounded Warrior event.

Thanks again guys, sorry for being long winded. Sat up at 3:30am wide awake, goin back down now for about 2 more hrs...

If you have a couple minutes check out the story my better half did on the WW event from Jan. She's a pro, a true ethical journalist, pushes everyday for stories like this -vs- the sensationalized drama and click bait garbage....(and yes, I know, I out-kicked my coverage) It's a good watch to check the ego and remind of what's important

vid will be at top right, give it a second to load & commercial

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one in Philly- is one with a tampered RPO sticker & has AWD under source vehicle tab [which could be misprint] ; noticed that the (only) 1 (left) in Trafford & both Lake City's- have lower GVWR than my truck [which to me seemed wrong for a supposed stronger axle] ; Savannah- one of the tampered RPO sticker photos [which could mean nothing also] ; Montgomery- pics covered in dust and couldn't read [ ? ] ; 1 Crystal River- no pics at all & the other Crystal River has no RPO or GVWR sticker pics [ ? ]... But all of those (except Philly) are listed 4x2 or RWD and 6.2 or 6.0. However, none are really in driveable range.....
Great article first of all, short and to the point!

GVWR will be less for RWD and less again for short wheelbase models compared with your Avy.

I took a look at that Philadelphia one again and that should not be. It should not be an AXN with AWD but I profess to not know everything. Unless the people sent me photos of it, I would cross it off the list. You think they photo shopped it? Took another look at the Savannah photos, looks legit to me?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the responses.. I really will be up against it here before I blink.. But, God willing, I'll survive and be better from it

James, Instead of just asking how you came about those LKQ's being 14 bolts, I was trying to play Sherlock Holmes and examine the listed info & pictures for patterns so I might be able to expedite going through listings on other sites...

There were a few things I caught that didn't make sense to me, which again, I should've just asked about instead of trying to find out on my own... The one in Philly- is one with a tampered RPO sticker & has AWD under source vehicle tab [which could be misprint] ; noticed that the (only) 1 (left) in Trafford & both Lake City's- have lower GVWR than my truck [which to me seemed wrong for a supposed stronger axle] ; Savannah- one of the tampered RPO sticker photos [which could mean nothing also] ; Montgomery- pics covered in dust and couldn't read [ ? ] ; 1 Crystal River- no pics at all & the other Crystal River has no RPO or GVWR sticker pics [ ? ]... But all of those (except Philly) are listed 4x2 or RWD and 6.2 or 6.0. However, none are really in driveable range.....and the concern of 3 day wait to possibly receive a 10 bolt along with the fight over who pays for the return shipping, finding another candidate, starting 3 day clock again, etc... is something I really didn't want to get into.

So please forgive me, I wasn't doubting you just trying to figure out as much as possible on my own the last few days w/o annoying you. This is as confusing as all get out anyway, combine that with getting burned twice last week and playing twister to navigate my kitchen contents in my house right now and Feb has been a blurrr lol.

You don't need to take hours to put all that down for my sake. I had no idea it was that intricate! Thought I may be able decoder VIN's and look for certain option combos to eliminate 10 bolts, instead of having to talk to junkyard dogs and shady salesman.

This is my issue and I'll get out of it. Like we talked about, it's in His hands and He'll guide me through it in a manner that teaches me something He needs me to learn in the process!

@Geotrash, VA has a BUNCH of listings on car-part.com -and- partshotlines.com. There's literally dozens, but I'm 3hrs from Blacksburg, just under 4hr from Roanoke, and 5:30 from Richmond(cousin played ball at VCU). We've always referred to our travels to the metro's around us in circular/clock terminology lol, as in if we're at the center of the ciock, Knoxville is to our to our 7 o'clock > Pittsburgh our 12 high > Charlotte our 5. DC and Philly are the longest day trips at 6hrs bc of winding routes around the most isolated part of the Appalachians. We can get to Myrtle quicker than VA Beach, which makes no sense.

Ever since the first couple days of my search, when I mentioned to you the couple of listings in Roanoke area (which turned out to be Rustburg and Bedford, even further), I decided to focus on on the closer stuff from 9 o'clock-12 (<3hrs) Lexington-2hr, Cincy/Dayton-3hr, Columbus-2.5hr, Akron/Canton-3hr, Pittsburgh-3hr and all in between; mainly because it's a difficult ask of someone to drive much further than that, spend 30min-60min onsite, then home. If it were just me -or- if these places were open on weekends it would be a non-issue. But most of my friends all had kids in the same 4yr stretch 5-9yrs ago and my step father has to stop at every rest area :D(funny but not funny)....plus I've taken him on two wild goose chases already.
I'm down to a handful of listings left in this quadrant and then it'll be the Roanoke area stuff --or- delivery and rent a 4x4 for Wounded Warrior event.

Thanks again guys, sorry for being long winded. Sat up at 3:30am wide awake, goin back down now for about 2 more hrs...

If you have a couple minutes check out the story my better half did on the WW event from Jan. She's a pro, a true ethical journalist, pushes everyday for stories like this -vs- the sensationalized drama and click bait garbage....(and yes, I know, I out-kicked my coverage) It's a good watch to check the ego and remind of what's important

vid will be at top right, give it a second to load & commercial

Not sure what the weekend holds yet but I can maybe get my on eyes on one close by for you if they're open Saturday. Bruce Auto Parts is close by and they list a bunch but don't say whether it's coming from a RWD or not. But, some of the pics clearly show that the vehicle doesn't have a front diff and they all have the RPO codes that show AXN. For example:

1677163265874.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
5StarCustmSolutns
Reaction score
Great article first of all, short and to the point!

GVWR will be less for RWD and less again for short wheelbase models compared with your Avy.

I took a look at that Philadelphia one again and that should not be. It should not be an AXN with AWD but I profess to not know everything. Unless the people sent me photos of it, I would cross it off the list. You think they photo shopped it? Took another look at the Savannah photos, looks legit to me?

LOL...by "short and to the point" are you making fun of my mid-nightime small novel? -or- What's written in the link to Amanda's story on the WW event? Did you watch the video?

I honestly had no idea if GVWR was one of the factors or not? Associative logic made me think it could be? I was thinking that a Light Duty 3/4 ton axle may raise the

GVWR? And I'm trying to come up with whatever I can to help me sort through these listings faster.

Me jotting down those things that caught my eye in the LKQ listings was in no way to challenge the validity of what you said. I was just looking at the listings and zooming in on the RPO's and GVWR's to see them better. I also have my guard up about the integrity of the online salvage listing world in general... that's all

No sir not photo shopped, possibly removed and replaced? not authentic to the original is what I was thinking.. See if you see what I'm seeing??

One of them is Arizona- looks to be fine, Rpo sticker looks to be in glove box and untounched

One of them is Philly - air bubbles throughout and bottom right corner looks to have creases where it has been loose

One of them is Savnnah - picked at on bottom right corner and air bubbles throughout

Also the two Yukons show RPO stickers in different locations. One is over paint, and the other in glove box or some other black background on a white vehicle

Idk what these mean but none of it does anything to instill confidence

20230223_013026.jpg
20230223_104156.jpg

#2 Philly
20230223_104330.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felixmontiel