Oil Consumption

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KCFLHTK

Reaction score
I know this has been talked about before but what's normal? I took my 07 LTZ in yesterday for a few little things and when I pulled in the service bay the check oil light came on. I'm thinking this thing has used 2 quarts in less than 2k miles. Never noticed this before and yes I know it takes 6 quarts. The service writer said they would run an oil consumption test on it. Wonder how they do that? Thought's ?????

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this has been talked about before but what's normal? I took my 07 LTZ in yesterday for a few little things and when I pulled in the service bay the check oil light came on. I'm thinking this thing has used 2 quarts in less than 2k miles. Never noticed this before and yes I know it takes 6 quarts. The service writer said they would run an oil consumption test on it. Wonder how they do that? Thought's ?????

KCFLHTK,

I suggest asking the service adviser what the process is check the consumption of oil. The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles referenced is 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi).

Breanne
GM Customer Service

OP
OP
K

KCFLHTK

Reaction score
KCFLHTK,

I suggest asking the service adviser what the process is check the consumption of oil. The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles referenced is 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi).

Breanne
GM Customer Service

I will ask him when I go pick it up. Seems like a quart in 2k miles is excessive but I will see what he says. Thanks for the info.

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
KCFLHTK,

Breanne
GM Customer Service

BS. I just had this problem fixed on my Tahoe yesterday. There are approximately a dozen service bulletins on this. The most recent one was released at the end of September this year. The fix is dependant upon whether you have a cast iron block or an aluminum block.

To anybody experiencing this problem, go talk to your dealer even if you are out of warranty. They may be able to help you. Mine helped me at no cost out of my pocket.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
KCFLHTK,

Breanne
GM Customer Service

yes this is true. Working in the auto field this is a common concern among people, even with Brand new cars. Best thing you can do is check your oil regulary and top off when needed. Im about 50% oil life so im most likely due for a top off myself

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

BS. I just had this problem fixed on my Tahoe yesterday. There are approximately a dozen service bulletins on this. The most recent one was released at the end of September this year. The fix is dependant upon whether you have a cast iron block or an aluminum block.

To anybody experiencing this problem, go talk to your dealer even if you are out of warranty. They may be able to help you. Mine helped me at no cost out of my pocket.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Well, if you just had this problem fix yesterday, how do you know it works? Can you keep us updated after a few thousands miles? No matter what brand/model the general rule is 1k/1quart

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think 1qt at 2k is more like what they can get away with without fixing it. I’d like to see a poll on how much oil everyone uses. My guess is most will not be near that rate.

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned many chevy trucks of all sizes including 4.3, 5.3, 6.0, 7.4, 8.1 and the 6.6 Dmax and have never had one lose that much. I have lost as much as a quart over 7-8k miles on the dmax before, but not on any of the gassers.

05Yukon23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know mine is older being an 05 but I don't use enough oil to even notice between oil changes with almost 115k...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo