Potential abnormal oil pressure 2014 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slug0150

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2014 Yukon 5.3l around 75K miles. AFM disabled about 10k miles ago.
Typically oil pressure runs "per factory gauge" 20psi at idle and around 40psi normal at temp driving.
Noticed over the last couple of days that presure has been dropping. Yesterday it was 20 at idle and running around 30 driving. Today it was running 18 at idle and around 22 at around 1500 rpm. runs fine with no dash lights. Checked oil and it was a little low. Added couple of quarts and pressures went up to around 24-26 psi at 1500-1700rpm. Pressure still climbs under load however only gets to 40 psi at about 3500rpm.
Has anyone expirianced this before? Wondering if the oil I used this go around has broken down way too soon (60% life left) or if there may be some sort of mechanical issue.

JKeller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How old is the oil and what is the oil weight? My 2007 tahoe would consume some oil I think due to the cylinder deactivation feature. That got better when I used a quality synthetic oil and I may have gone up to a 10w-40 weight once I was over 100k miles. I've always heard that 10lbs of oil pressure per 1k rpms is plenty, so I don't think you're in the danger zone. If it were me, I'd put in a quality oil and monitor it. You could also try some Lucas oil stabilizer.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Slug0150 Moved you here from 2021+section
Welcome from Miami&Queens NY!

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you change it at a set intervals, or the oil life monitor ? It's not uncommon to see those motors use oil as they age because of the AFM, even though yours is off now. My personal opinion is that the rings get glazed on the AFM cylinders with oil that has been cooked into them preventing proper movement. Once that happens, oil can migrate past at a constant rate - hence consumption.

You could try an oil change with some marvel mystery oil in it to wash things clean. It will take a couple changes in short succession - 2500 to 3k intervals back to back for best results. If it doesn't clear up, then it's big money motor work, or just put more oil in until you're sick of it, or something else fails.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are my three initial suggestions:

1- Change the oil/filter and see what happens to the oil pressure.

2- I would see if you can get a oil pressure gauge on there and see where the pressure is actually sitting to make see if you are dealing with a true low pressure situation or a lazy pressure sensor.

3- The screen under the oil pressure sensor may be getting clogged up and needs to be cleaned out. This will require the oil pressure sensor to be removed to get to it.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a similar situation this past Spring, and it had me quite worried. I changed the oil, and the situation disappeared and has not come back. Why? I have no idea.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds fine to me, the hotter the engine the lower the oil pressure will be. Your numbers are well within good standing of good oil pressure

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as noted already
1. change the oil and filter, monitor the situation afterwards
one bird at a time......

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just about crapped myself when I read "added a couple of quarts"
Holy **** ! How long are you going between changes, etc ???
Change the oil and filter more often...
You still have the dod lifters (even if electronically they don't turn on) and VVT
All that stuff is oil pressure/viscosity driven !!!
Guess I just don't understand why some people wait til there's a problem
to do CHEAP regular maintenance

OP
OP
S

Slug0150

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How old is the oil and what is the oil weight? My 2007 tahoe would consume some oil I think due to the cylinder deactivation feature. That got better when I used a quality synthetic oil and I may have gone up to a 10w-40 weight once I was over 100k miles. I've always heard that 10lbs of oil pressure per 1k rpms is plenty, so I don't think you're in the danger zone. If it were me, I'd put in a quality oil and monitor it. You could also try some Lucas oil stabilizer.
oil is about 4-5k miles old however I think I used a bargin brand 5w-30 this go around due to positive reviews and dudnt put lucas in like I usially do. It is running a Mobile 1 filter. I don't belive I'm in any danger also however this is the first of this generation of vortec that I have owned, so I am used to way higher oil pressures so it bugs the hell out of me. I bought some higher quality 10w-30 today and a new filter. Gonna do a flush and oil change this weekend with some lucas and see if it changes the pressure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019