Low Oil Pressure when hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

suzique146

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2014 Tahoe took it to get the oil changed and the guy told me I had an oil leak at the rear seal. I called my husband who checked the drive way small oil spot. Next day I drove to an appointment about 29 miles away. I kept my eye on oil pressure, it was normal. Leaving my appointment I drove about 3 miles and got a warning low oil pressure. I stopped and checked it and the oil level was fine. Started back home and the red light warning came on and I pulled over and had it towed to a garage. Told him what happened. He changed the oil pressure sensor, oring and oil pump.calked my husband yesterday and told us we need new motor., but we can drive it home. My husband drove about 10 miles the red shut your engine off light came on, he put it in neutral to cost off the road then shut car off and restarted it and warning was gone and continued home. We are at a loss as what to do. No one said they found metal in the oil and it has been changed 3 times in a month and the engine has no knock. Please any info will help!

Last edited:

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What @B-train said above. The VLOM or valley cover has O-rings that can get old and cause oil pressure loss. I'm changing mine (193k miles) soon as preventative mx.

OP
OP
S

suzique146

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did they replace the screen under the oil pressure sender?
View attachment 418195
It is on the parts list new screen. Call dealership today to see what they thought. Their assumption is something was missed. Wednesday they are going to put on a scope and see if there are any codes. Yes I've had old changed twice since the 1st oil change 3 total in a month. The parts list says all GM parts but like the dealer said unless we take a look at them we can't be sure.

Rono

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It is on the parts list new screen. Call dealership today to see what they thought. Their assumption is something was missed. Wednesday they are going to put on a scope and see if there are any codes. Yes I've had old changed twice since the 1st oil change 3 total in a month. The parts list says all GM parts but like the dealer said unless we take a look at them we can't be sure.
Had same problem on 2012 Tahoe. Changed sensor and screen and oil and filter, still had ck eng light and code. Common sense kicked in and made dealer do another oil change with motor at operating temperature, so all gunk would come out in old/new 500 mile oil. Fixed and has never happened again. Do regular oil and filter changes with the correct oil and filter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts