Oil Consumption

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phileaglesfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually a Porsche is around 1 qt per 1k miles. I looked at a Cayman back in 08. I asked the dealer why they put cubbies on both sides of the engine (since it probably gets hot there). He said to "Store the extra quarts of oil." Needless to say I didn't buy it and bought my Corvette for about $20k less. I never added an extra quart of oil to any of my past or present GM cars.

SBCT

Reaction score
My '07 Yukon burns almost exactly 1 qt. every 5,000 miles. I am judging this by how often the message comes up that says I am 1 qt. low. Usually get it about 5,000 miles after an oil change. I park in the garage and there isn't a single drop on the floor so its definitly burning it and not leaking it.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
well ive gone over 2k since last oil change, Had to add about 1qt of oil. It dosent bother me as i believe i fall in the 1k/1q rule. I check my oil regularly, generally at 50% If i saw oil leaking then id be concerned. Ive seen Hondas do this too so im not convinced i have a problem

ChrisAU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well ive gone over 2k since last oil change, Had to add about 1qt of oil. It dosent bother me as i believe i fall in the 1k/1q rule. I check my oil regularly, generally at 50% If i saw oil leaking then id be concerned. Ive seen Hondas do this too so im not convinced i have a problem

So it doesn't concern you that my '92 Sierra would go 10k miles on the same 5 quarts of oil without burning a drop, but that our new Tahoes would burn more oil in 10k miles than that truck would require in two oil changes?

So, lets say you drive 20k a year. 5k oil change intervals. On our Tahoes, with 1 quart/k miles burn off, thats 44 quarts of oil in a year.

On my old truck with 5k intervals, thats 20 quarts.

Why would my new Tahoe use 6 gallons of oil per year more than my old beater truck?

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
found that bulletin that refers to Oil consumption. Cant seem to find anything dated after this. That being said. Maybe its not a matter of convincing, but a matter of location. The nearest dealer that can do any type of warranty work is over 30 minutes away. I cant make it out there and dont really have the option other to take a day off only to be told the same thing ive said. The best thing i can do is regulary check oil and add if needed. Then again, i get 5w 30 for next to nothing anyways.

PIP 4574

Subject: Excessive Oil Consumption and/or Blue Exhaust Smoke

Models:
2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2007 GMC Sierra, Yukon
with 5.3L Engine (RPO LC9 - VIN 3)

CONDITION/CONCERN:

Some customers may complain that their vehicle has been using approximately 1 quart of oil every 500-1,000 miles. In most cases, the customer will advise that this did not start until it accumulated approximately 30,000 miles or more.

If the spark plugs have been inspected, the technician would have found signs of oil consumption on one or more spark plugs. If they went on to perform a cylinder leakage test, static compression test, or the lifter and PCV baffle inspection from the latest version of PIP4492, they would find that none of these tests identified the cause of this concern.

In many cases, the engine may have had the rocker cover, cylinder heads, and/or oil control rings replaced only to come back with the same concern.

RECOMMENDATION/INSTRUCTIO NS:

If this concern is experienced, no repairs should be performed at this time because the cause of this concern is under investigation. This PI will be updated as soon as a procedure is available to help diagnose/repair this concern, which should be available by the end of this month (February 2009).

PIP 4574

Subject: Excessive Oil Consumption and/or Blue Exhaust Smoke

Models:
2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2007 GMC Sierra, Yukon
with 5.3L Engine (RPO LC9 - VIN 3)

CONDITION/CONCERN:

Some customers may complain that their vehicle has been using approximately 1 quart of oil every 500-1,000 miles. In most cases, the customer will advise that this did not start until it accumulated approximately 30,000 miles or more.

If the spark plugs have been inspected, the technician would have found signs of oil consumption on one or more spark plugs. If they went on to perform a cylinder leakage test, static compression test, or the lifter and PCV baffle inspection from the latest version of PIP4492, they would find that none of these tests identified the cause of this concern.

In many cases, the engine may have had the rocker cover, cylinder heads, and/or oil control rings replaced only to come back with the same concern.

RECOMMENDATION/INSTRUCTIO NS:

If this concern is experienced, no repairs should be performed at this time because the cause of this concern is under investigation. This PI will be updated as soon as a procedure is available to help diagnose/repair this concern, which should be available by the end of this month (February 2009).

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KCFLHTK

Reaction score
Got a call back from GM Customer Service. She basically said work with the dealer and do the oil consumption test and let her know if she can do anything. She said every case is different when I mentioned the PCV and Valve Cover. She said the oil consumption test will help determine what to do next. Not the answer I was hoping for but at least it was an answer. The issue is documented anyway so we will see what happens.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All you guys with oil consumption issues, are you using dino or synthetic?

Last edited:

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm using synthetic, Mobil 1 to be exact. Why do you ask?

Curious if there is a correlation between the type of oil used and the occurrance of the oil consumption issue.

I am using dino and no oil consumption issue (knock on wood).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hillstrubl

Latest posts