My From Start to Finish 6.0L Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the rotating assembly is all stock specs, then the pistons should be out of the hole a few thou, like .004" - .008" at TDC. This always varies between builds (even from the factory) and even seems to always vary between cylinders. Typically, the corner cylinders (numbers 1, 2, 7 and 8) will be more out of the hole than the center ones (numbers 3, 4, 5 and 6). Always measure your assembled one. You'll need a head gasket at least about .037" more than the highest piston, just to give you rough figures.
Continue to learn something new everyday. Thanks for the information. I always say if you learn something new in the day then it is a good day. Today has already started off as a good day.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disappointed that I was not able to use the Vortec cover, but I haven't given up on that just yet.
Spent a good portion of the day watching football and sitting by the fire (it was chilly here today) but I may have a solution to installing my Vortec engine cover, I will post a picture if it works out. Still running great and no signs of my initial fuel leak.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was able to move a few wire bundles slightly and trim my back cable bracket (plastic piece) slightly so it fits better on the TBSS throttle body and now my Vortec engine cover fits in the two back slots and lays nicely on the throttle body. Looks nice. The next problem to overcome is to come up with a way to secure it from the top. The 10mm bolt that normally holds it down is right over the new MAP sensor location. Although the cover fits nicely, I want to find a way to secure it at the top. Back to the drawing board - but I'm closer.

Vortec.jpg

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was able to move a few wire bundles slightly and trim my back cable bracket (plastic piece) slightly so it fits better on the TBSS throttle body and now my Vortec engine cover fits in the two back slots and lays nicely on the throttle body. Looks nice. The next problem to overcome is to come up with a way to secure it from the top. The 10mm bolt that normally holds it down is right over the new MAP sensor location. Although the cover fits nicely, I want to find a way to secure it at the top. Back to the drawing board - but I'm closer.

View attachment 385706
I have faith in you that you’ll figure something out. :happy107:

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a solution. It might take a little bit of time to order and fabricate the parts I need, but I will be able to install the cover and finish the dress up of this upgrade. I will post pictures when completed. Have I stated how much I love this Upgrade?

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Friday, I received my update to the TBSS tune BBP provided for this project. Just minor tweaks. Received this update less than a week after I provided my run data to BBP. I also installed the belt tensioner which I also received on Friday.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Friday, I received my update to the TBSS tune BBP provided for this project. Just minor tweaks. Received this update less than a week after I provided my run data to BBP. I also installed the belt tensioner which I also received on Friday.
That’s great news, they must be getting caught up. Maybe they hired on additional staff. My last update took well over a month, that’s when I bought my own tuning software.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I called Texas Speed this morning for basically two reasons.

1. To check the status of my rotating assembly. All parts are in house and the kit is in the queue for balancing. They expect shipping in 5-10 days.

2. To discuss an issue I'm having with the Holley throttle body. I have what I would describe as a "whistle" when I first start up the Tahoe. When it warms up it goes away to the point I can't hear it from the driver's seat. However, open the hood and you can hear it. It gets more pronounced under slight throttle. But under mid to full throttle - nothing. My first thought was vacuum leak, but i confirmed it was not (plus BBP saw my data and there is no vacuum leak that the data shows. Plus I ran a scan and all is good). I took the cold air intake off - wow you can hear it. It is coming from the IAC ports. Put your finger slightly over the hole and it goes away. Did some research, wished I did it before I bought it, and this seems to be a known issue with this throttle body. So I talked to Jared from Texas Speed and he confirmed that this was an issue with this throttle body. I ended up going with his recommendation and buying a FAST throttle body.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I called Texas Speed this morning for basically two reasons.

1. To check the status of my rotating assembly. All parts are in house and the kit is in the queue for balancing. They expect shipping in 5-10 days.

2. To discuss an issue I'm having with the Holley throttle body. I have what I would describe as a "whistle" when I first start up the Tahoe. When it warms up it goes away to the point I can't hear it from the driver's seat. However, open the hood and you can hear it. It gets more pronounced under slight throttle. But under mid to full throttle - nothing. My first thought was vacuum leak, but i confirmed it was not (plus BBP saw my data and there is no vacuum leak that the data shows. Plus I ran a scan and all is good). I took the cold air intake off - wow you can hear it. It is coming from the IAC ports. Put your finger slightly over the hole and it goes away. Did some research, wished I did it before I bought it, and this seems to be a known issue with this throttle body. So I talked to Jared from Texas Speed and he confirmed that this was an issue with this throttle body. I ended up going with his recommendation and buying a FAST throttle body.
I’ve heard that about the Holleys too. Somebody else here I believe was experiencing the whistle and Holley wasn’t being much help to him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh