My From Start to Finish 6.0L Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was so easy to install too. My wife was not going to let me go with the earlier type and do it myself. I almost went with the long springs until I found this system. We'll see if it holds up.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was so easy to install too. My wife was not going to let me go with the earlier type and do it myself. I almost went with the long springs until I found this system. We'll see if it holds up.

Extension springs? Eew.

I like the traditional torsion styles since you can maintain the spring and know when it breaks. A girlfriend's garage door opened very slowly but closed much more quickly. She said it's been like that for as long as she can remember. I just told her that her operator was about to break and she'd never get that door open. The LH spring inside the TorqueMaster tube was broken, so it had only half of the counterbalance. I can't believe the top section wasn't tearing apart. I told her it was equivalent to someone lifting her by her hair. Had it been an external spring, she would've seen it.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Extension springs? Eew.

I like the traditional torsion styles since you can maintain the spring and know when it breaks. A girlfriend's garage door opened very slowly but closed much more quickly. She said it's been like that for as long as she can remember. I just told her that her operator was about to break and she'd never get that door open. The LH spring inside the TorqueMaster tube was broken, so it had only half of the counterbalance. I can't believe the top section wasn't tearing apart. I told her it was equivalent to someone lifting her by her hair. Had it been an external spring, she would've see
My thoughts exactly on the extension springs. About not being able to open the door when these springs fail. You ain't kidding. I have two stall garage luckily with two 9 ft doors. Opening the one without the springs was amazingly hard - but doable. Not sure how that would have compared to trying to open the one long door.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time to open the check book and get some more parts. I'm thinking about purchasing a Melling M295HV Oil Pump. Thoughts?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time to open the check book and get some more parts. I'm thinking about purchasing a Melling M295HV Oil Pump. Thoughts?

With it being a fresh build with all new and tight bearing clearances, the extra volume isn't necessary and is just more load on the engine, costing you a few horsies. On an engine with wear and wider clearances, I'm a fan of a strong supply of volume to better "fill in the gap".

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With it being a fresh build with all new and tight bearing clearances, the extra volume isn't necessary and is just more load on the engine, costing you a few horsies. On an engine with wear and wider clearances, I'm a fan of a strong supply of volume to better "fill in the gap".
Thank you for the input and insight. Makes sense to me.:)

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Melling has a video on their LS oil pumps with a lot of good info so you can make an informed decision on your own. I agree that a new engine without added aftermarket oil coolers or outboard filters doesnt require a HV pump and pretty much any engine builder or pump manufacturer will tell you that if you don’t need one, don’t use one for the reason @iamdub mentioned. Here’s a link to that video. Skip to about 4:30 if you don’t want to learn about Melling’s company history.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Melling has a video on their LS oil pumps with a lot of good info so you can make an informed decision on your own. I agree that a new engine without added aftermarket oil coolers or outboard filters doesnt require a HV pump and pretty much any engine builder or pump manufacturer will tell you that if you don’t need one, don’t use one for the reason @iamdub mentioned. Here’s a link to that video. Skip to about 4:30 if you don’t want to learn about Melling’s company history.

Thanks Mark. Good informative video. Looks I will be going with the Melling M295.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Waiting on parts, some will arrive on Tuesday. Spent the afternoon cleaning the rear crank/cam cover and various hardware. Removed the old oil seal and ensured seal and gasket surfaces were flat, cleaned and not damaged. Organized and planned out my next steps. Reviewed my build books and researched what color I would use for my covers and various other parts. I'm partial to blue so I'm going with GM blue.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Received a windage tray today - unfortunately they sent me the wrong part. It goes back and I went to another company to get the correct one. I should still get it on Tuesday with the rest of my parts. The GM blue paint also was delivered today.