Is this just an oil filter gasket leak or is there something else that would pool oil around the oil filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always used wix. but I'm sure the acdelco is a good filter. you might have just got one with a seal cut funny.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: The oil leak got pretty bad. I installed a corvette servo kit with a longer servo pin the other day and while I was under there I remembered to tighten the oil filter a 1/4-1/2 turn with a tool and I haven't had any oil drips since. I don't think I'll be using this oil filter again, thanks guys.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it looks that way from here. But carefully inspect the oil cooler blockoff plate gasket that's right above the filter; the point of the arrow I drew is right on it and it's a common leak.
AFM VLOM leak

opfor2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it looks that way from here. But carefully inspect the oil cooler blockoff plate gasket that's right above the filter; the point of the arrow I drew is right on it and it's a common leak.

View attachment 405481
I had the same issue with the "Oil cooler" block leaking on my 2011 4x4. So yesterday I went to tighten the bolts and I noticed that one was loose and it couldn't be tightened (stripped). There is not enough room to install a Helicoil so what other options do I have to tighten the bolt to stop the oil leak?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue with the "Oil cooler" block leaking on my 2011 4x4. So yesterday I went to tighten the bolts and I noticed that one was loose and it couldn't be tightened (stripped). There is not enough room to install a Helicoil so what other options do I have to tighten the bolt to stop the oil leak?
You can get a helicoil in there with a right angle drill and bit. It's a PITA but I did it on my 2012 without removing anything. I follow the torque specs on those bolts to the letter - in fact I stop a little shy of full torque and haven't had any more problems with leaking.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pull the bolt and check. these bolts are pretty soft, you might have gotta lucky and just pulled the threads on the bolt. they are tq in inch lbs. it's super easy to strip them.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You can message me for a different option. I don't want to post the option on a live forum because someone will give me crap about it. It is an emergency option. You may or may not do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900