Best budget upgrades on a 5.3L rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I met with a friend who is going to do the pull and replace. He talked to his rebuilder who actually said he's used 4 or 5 of the crate motors from AutoZone with excellent results. He recommends this over a rebuild, which will run probably $1500 parts and labor or more.

Went and checked them out today at the Zone - $2088 + tax, reuse oil pan, front cover (timing chain cover) and valve covers. $2299 + tax drop in ready. 4 year warranty.

Not bad for essentially hassle free.

Same guy rebuild the 4l60e trans for $1k.

AutoZone - $1446 + tax. 3 year warranty.

I'd figure around $5k tax, install and such out the door. Plus I guess a tune from Black Bear or something?

Interesting idea... complete practically as-factory-new motor and trans... Cost me some more, but a lot quicker than a rebuild and a lot less hassle, I guess.

Thoughts?

Good Research
Smoking Deal!
5.3 $2088 + core
4 year warranty, prorated. Cant beat that! Big company warranty! Autozone.....Love that stock! Thats almost GMPP.
Totally stock though, no upgrades

6.0 $2529 + core
317 heads (those arent bad if you shave em)
That's a smoking deal too!
Warranty is void with improper installation, which probably means NO 6.0s in place of 5.3s (if they find out)
But they don't know because you pick up and drop off if failure occurs. Gray area....I'd go 6.0L, sell your short block, eat the core and live dangerously LOL!

No LBZs..... :-( Booooooo

Why do you need a tune?
You thinking 6.0L?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Good Research
Smoking Deal!
5.3 $2088 + core
4 year warranty, prorated. Cant beat that! Big company warranty! Autozone.....Love that stock! Thats almost GMPP.

6.0 $2529 + core
317 heads (those arent bad if you shave em)
That's a smoking deal too!
Warranty is void with improper installation, which probably means NO 6.0s in place of 5.3s (if they find out)
But they don't know because you pick up and drop off if failure occurs. Gray area....I'd go 6.0L, sell your short block, eat the core and live dangerously LOL!

No LBZs..... :-( Booooooo

Why do you need a tune?
You thinking 6.0L?
What's wrong with the 317's?

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with the 317's?

Nothing....if you want low compression and less power
You can shave them though to increase compression, but they'll never match the compression of the

That was a very popular recipe though in early,mid 2000s
Stock 6.0 + shaved 317s + cam = almost 500hp

So AutoZone 6.0
Pull the heads and shave and springs
Stuff in cam
Tbss manifold
Headers
Install and tune and got yourself a new 480-500hp motor
About 4k in cost
Good deal

This thread is from 2005 lol
Milling 6.0L 317 Heads (ls2.com)

Last edited:
OP
OP
tRidiot

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Research
Smoking Deal!
5.3 $2088 + core

So you think this is a good idea? I'm just asking, sometimes it's hard to read sarcasm online and with some of the incredulity I've seen I am just checking. Again, this is all new to me, I've never done a motor or had a motor replaced in any vehicle, so I'm checking around.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok... so flat out, why do you think you need to rebuild or replace the entire engine? You had a head problem right? Just replace the heads.

275k isnt high for a 5.3 in my book. My Silverado has 400k on it and when i was at the dealership i saw delivery vans with 500k on them.

You are looking at spending money you dont need too.
If the engine has oil pressure and is not knocking, get some 862 or 706 heads and put it back together and go man.
If you want to do a cam, do that and a set of springs and go. No need for fancy stuff.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can help from a power perspective...

Stock 5.3 was painful, I'd floor it and it wouldn't move. 0-60 was 8.6 seconds. I hated driving it.

I decided to upgrade..

Did PRC LS6 heads, a BTR truck cam, headers, and tuning. This made a nice difference in cruising power and it wasn't painful to drive anymore. 0-60 was 7.2 seconds.

Of course that still wasn't enough, so I went ahead and did the 6.2 swap. Mods in my signature. That dropped the 0-60 down to 5.3 seconds, consistently.

Hindsight being 20/20, I would have done the DOD delete on the 5.3 still but would have just went right to a Magnuson or something and been done with it.

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can help from a power perspective...

Stock 5.3 was painful, I'd floor it and it wouldn't move. 0-60 was 8.6 seconds. I hated driving it.

I decided to upgrade..

Did PRC LS6 heads, a BTR truck cam, headers, and tuning. This made a nice difference in cruising power and it wasn't painful to drive anymore. 0-60 was 7.2 seconds.

Of course that still wasn't enough, so I went ahead and did the 6.2 swap. Mods in my signature. That dropped the 0-60 down to 5.3 seconds, consistently.

Hindsight being 20/20, I would have done the DOD delete on the 5.3 still but would have just went right to a Magnuson or something and been done with it.

Yeah Baby! LS3!
I wish.....I wish I could go LT1/10L90
You have to remember that this is the Vintage Tahoe section where we live on 24X reluctor wheels and can't just buy an LS3/L92 crate and slam it in. If I could I'd just go LS3/525 or the new 6.6. I wish it were that easy.
But we are the forgotten Generation of Gen III and relegated to crates of 5.3 and 6.0 unless you build from scratch. Then you may as well go 6.6 cuz it's the same work.

But I agree with you. My 5.3 in a 5000lb vehicle feels anemic and my braking zone is way too long.

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you think this is a good idea? I'm just asking, sometimes it's hard to read sarcasm online and with some of the incredulity I've seen I am just checking. Again, this is all new to me, I've never done a motor or had a motor replaced in any vehicle, so I'm checking around.

No sarcasm.
That's a good find.
Its a good deal....I swear. Especially if you've never done an engine before.
I've had lots of anxiety with vehicles at shops getting engines, heads, tunes, exhaust, bodywork, paint etc.
My cars have NEVER sustained as much damage as they have in shops.....(body shops are the worst with all that dust)
All shops seek to maximize their profit and minimize the work and maybe you get a startup warranty which sucks
Can't beat the AutoZone warranty....If they did installs I would say do it there too.

Depends on your application.
If its just a daily driver or you want to dump it afterwards and you want to move on to the Scout? then isolate the problem,
tear down to the problem and fix only that. Completely acceptable approach. I rarely do that. When I tear stuff down I have to optimize the rebuild, its just me.

But if you want a little ZIP with reliability do the 6.0. You can feel the difference immediately.

OP
OP
tRidiot

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not overly worried about more power. I don't EVER put my foot to the floor, and it's rare I put my foot IN it. Seriously, it's not a hotrod machine to me, it'll drink gas like an alcoholic and I've got a 370Z for my "I wanna have fun driving" days.

Do I NEED to get a whole rebuild or replacement? No, I don't, but I really don't feel comfortable with a top-half rebuild and a 275k lower end and transmission. Not in a vehicle I'm going to be doing family vacations 1000 miles or more from home. Maybe it's silly, I don't know, but it's just a comfort level thing for me. For this vehicle, reliability and comfort is much more important than performance.

Guy just trailered it off... he's gonna talk to his rebuilder and get a 'ballpark' for the rebuild. My main concern with the LM7 swapout (this is an L59) is a tiny bit of loss in power. Not much, but ~20HP might very well make it feel a bit anemic - especially since I have 3 alternators which already will sap a bit of power. I think the transmission rebuild for a grand is probably fine, don't need to spend $1600 on a factory reman - the warranty is one thing, but honestly, if something like the motor or trans is gonna crater, I'd expect it in the first few thousand miles or month or three.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne