Best budget upgrades on a 5.3L rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
If I go with the 6.0 from AutoZone, I'm assuming it won't be warrantied, since it's not matching OEM - we all know it's BS, but my VIN wasn't offered with a 6.0L. In fact, AutoZone's description says "Silverado SS only," I think.

Again... not a terrible thing.

As for boring my block to a 5.7, I'm not sure what that means, honestly, how do I tell the rebuilder that? And I would definitely need new pistons, new cam, too? Definitely a new tune, etc.? I don't know how to go about that. I mean I'm not even in touch with the guy who would be doing the rebuilding, he's 60 miles away, the guy doing my pull & replace would be the one talking to him about it.

I wanted to do the LQ9 6.0L anyways, I was looking at them on Ebay and from my understanding it's a direct drop-in, bolts right up, same external everything. So it's BS the warranty would be void, I think.

<edit> 243 are the same as 799 and are from the L33 engine, right?

Looking at Ebay, a good set of those would run like $500-700 probably, I think.

<edit2> In addition I just thought, part of the problem with doing a 6.0 swap was that I would need a new computer, I think, right? None of the Ebay motors I could find came WITH the computer, and I don't know that my computer can be reprogrammed for a 6.0L, can it? I mean I was thinking of sending it off to Black Bear for a reprogram anyways, but can they just upload a 6.0L profile to it?
This is the route I went with my 03 Tahoe-- Lq9, cammed with dual beehive springs, long tubes and a 3000 stall. I'm on my 2nd motor, but same exact specs as this.client_PART_1508895312562_IMAG1609.jpg
1st motor went because 0 oil pressure, but my oil pressure sensor was bad, so I didn't know til it was too late. Running on my stock pcm--original motor was 4.8. She runs like a beast. Btw I'm running the stock 317 heads.

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the route I went with my 03 Tahoe-- Lq9, cammed with dual beehive springs Btw I'm running the stock 317 heads.

Nice...Holiday Cam Kit Special....LOL

What were your power numbers after the tune? Do you have a PIC of the dyno run from the final tune?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Nice...Holiday Cam Kit Special....LOL

What were your power numbers after the tune? Do you have a PIC of the dyno run from the final tune?
Nope. Guy was an A1 a$$hole, so I didn't get what I was supposed to. No idea what the numbers are, but it's got some balls to it.
Smoking the 22's. Of course after the motor work I had to upgrade the trans. Listen to those shifts.

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I go with the 6.0 from AutoZone, I'm assuming it won't be warrantied, since it's not matching OEM - we all know it's BS, but my VIN wasn't offered with a 6.0L. In fact, AutoZone's description says "Silverado SS only," I think.

<edit2> In addition I just thought, part of the problem with doing a 6.0 swap was that I would need a new computer, I think, right? None of the Ebay motors I could find came WITH the computer, and I don't know that my computer can be reprogrammed for a 6.0L, can it? I mean I was thinking of sending it off to Black Bear for a reprogram anyways, but can they just upload a 6.0L profile to it?

I would just give them the VIN of any 2003-06 sub 2500 6.0, but that's just me. I don't think they send VIN police out to check.

On a 6.0 you don't need a new computer, runs the same computer. Same fuel system, same injectors, same intake. Plug and Play.
If you buy HP Tuners you can download a stock 6.0 tune from their library for FREE. Free is good.

BTW Where is the third alternator? down below somewhere? .....I think alternators suck 5-10hp per unit.

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. Guy was an A1 a$$hole, so I didn't get what I was supposed to. No idea what the numbers are, but it's got some balls to it..

Gee, Not a very nice holiday special, Bad Santa.
How do you know your tune is good?
Maybe you want to take it to a dyno day somewhere and check the numbers....especially the AFR. Do they have those in Jersey? Dyno Days?
Sounds healthy.

6.0L's rule!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Gee, Not a very nice holiday special, Bad Santa.
How do you know your tune is good?
Maybe you want to take it to a dyno day somewhere and check the numbers....especially the AFR. Do they have those in Jersey? Dyno Days?
Sounds healthy.

6.0L's rule!
As soon as I update my BB tuner(bought it used off tyf)I'm gonna send the tune to them and get it tweaked. I know there's room for improvement on it. Runs good but I know it can run better. I'm pretty sure places in Jersey have dyno days, but honestly I don't want to be around the morons that visit those places.16172118899191149631001867918675.jpg

OP
OP
tRidiot

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Third alt is down below, yes. Right now the third alt is a dummy, essentially - it's not hooked up, just there as a placeholder for the belt. My electrical system is totally stock with the 145A alt for the truck and batt, then the stereo system runs off the 300A Ohio Generator alt in the #2 position with an Odyssey AGM battery on the pass side of the engine compartment. If I delete my factory airbox and go with a downtube for air intake, I may put a 3rd battery in that spot.

I still LIKE the idea of a 6.0L - but I called AutoZone, they did confirm my warranty would likely not be valid if not installed by an ASE Certified mechanic. So that isn't going to be much of a factor, anyways (warranty). I'm not going to lie to them about things, that's just not my style. But if I get a 6.0L somewhere in good shape, or have mine bored out or whatever... that's not so bad.

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As soon as I update my BB tuner(bought it used off tyf)I'm gonna send the tune to them and get it tweaked. I know there's room for improvement on it. Runs good but I know it can run better. I'm pretty sure places in Jersey have dyno days, but honestly I don't want to be around the morons that visit those places.

I was just trying to give you cheap way of getting a printout and an AFR reading....
Out west here is usually 2 pulls for $25 bucks as opposed to individual schedule which is $200 for a few pulls.

You should get some of these
Then the Raptors will tremble...LOL
60 badge.jpg

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Third alt is down below, yes. Right now the third alt is a dummy, essentially - it's not hooked up, just there as a placeholder for the belt. My electrical system is totally stock with the 145A alt for the truck and batt, then the stereo system runs off the 300A Ohio Generator alt in the #2 position with an Odyssey AGM battery on the pass side of the engine compartment. If I delete my factory airbox and go with a downtube for air intake, I may put a 3rd battery in that spot.

I still LIKE the idea of a 6.0L - but I called AutoZone, they did confirm my warranty would likely not be valid if not installed by an ASE Certified mechanic. So that isn't going to be much of a factor, anyways (warranty). I'm not going to lie to them about things, that's just not my style. But if I get a 6.0L somewhere in good shape, or have mine bored out or whatever... that's not so bad.

OMG...I knew I was going to have the read this
Surefire Warranty.....There is NO condition of the warranty stipulating that install has to be performed by any skill type of mechanic.
There is a provision for claims in case of break down requiring repairs have to be done by a "licensed mechanic"
Max claim amount is $800.
Otherwise you bring it back and they replace.....
But there are many exclusions in the warranty...of course right?

I don't know how to attach a file but you can review in the description of the item on the web. Its the Surefire warranty. 4 pages long.

OP
OP
tRidiot

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, well that's good to know. I can look at it, but ultimately, I never 'count' on any warranty. I want a good product, then hopefully I never need the warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman