2021 Tahoe PPV massive oem brakes, 16"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vipverbob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK I just did the PPV upgrade on a 2018 RST 2wd. Here is what worked, and what did not:

1) This is the Tahoe still with the old offset on the wheels that people say do not work. But it did with the RST wheels (22"). The spokes on the wheels have LOTS of clearance on the Calipers
2) The PPV is a Bridged Caliper. You do NOT need the guide pin that is referenced in some posts. I assume this is for the red 6 piston calipers. I returned the pins.
3) I used the backing plates and the caliper centered perfectly. This is a 2wd truck so removing the hub was only three bolts.
4) I purchased the Power Stop Z36-2407 pads. Any of the Zxx-2407 pads will work AND they come with the required hardware . Again here I had purchased the GM hardware that I was able to return
5) The Dynamic Friction 6xx-47079 rotors DO NOT have the correct face (annulus) for the pads to seat. They hang over on the inside about a half inch. They are working for now, but I am ordering some factory rotors (back ordered but supposed to be in stock in a few weeks)
6) The black color on the calipers is pretty bad. I sprayed with some VHT caliper flat black paint (also the inner bell of the rotor). They looked much better after painting.
7) Braking is great. Uses less pressure, and less pedal travel. With the Power Stop pads, there is no squeel, they feel good, and they were only $80 with the hardware.
8) I have a shop so total install time was only like 90 minutes on a lift start to finish. Simple and straight forward.

For reference, Caliper bracket torque is 170 ft/lb. Banjo bolt torque is 30 ft/lb. Hub torque is 133 ft/lb

Attachments

• facebook_1679146258928_7042849870407047819.jpg
    facebook_1679146258928_7042849870407047819.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 40

enginehead

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Please be aware that I purchased the Brembo Big brake package for my 2015 Yukon Denali , only to find out after that your spare tire Will Not fit over the new break package. Gm's responce when I asked about this( was never informed at time of purchase) To Take the spare tire replace the rear wheel with it and use the rear wheel to replace the front flat tire. In essence a 2 wheel tire change for 1 front flat!
that is common, GM has done that with passenger cars for years

enginehead

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The PPV RPO J55 brakes are the same as these: P/N 84766666

Only without the fancy paint and branding.

<
The Chevrolet Performance Front Brake System features Brembo 6-piston, fixed aluminum calipers and larger-than-stock Duralife™ rotors for an 84% increase in brake pad area and a 42% increase in rotor area to increase thermal capacity. The Duralife™ hardened rotor surface helps reduce corrosion and provides quieter braking with less vibration. During testing, the Performance Brake Package provided 31% reduction in pedal force at max deceleration, and 12% reduction in pedal travel, providing improved pedal feel. Brakes are compatible with 20-inch to 22-inch original equipment or Chevrolet Accessory Wheels
>

View attachment 263729 View attachment 263730
I was doing some research, these calipers are made of Ethylene Propylene, which is a plastic. they claim it will resist heat better

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was doing some research, these calipers are made of Ethylene Propylene, which is a plastic. they claim it will resist heat better
Hopefully, they do better than the phenolic pistons on the Mustang SVO brakes!! They worked great until they didn't. Common failure mode was a seized piston in the caliper, usually after you stopped. :mad:

RTLINGR2

Reaction score
I lnow this is an old thread. Just thought I would add some info. Not sure if it will help.

On our 2021+ ppv tahoes we replace the factory pads with Raybestos Police # SP2407PP for fronts and # SP2174APPH for rears. Available at O'Reillys. I dont recall cost of pads but I dont recall them being super expensive. Replacement rotors in the Raybestos Police are about $100 each.

Side note, I read through these posts and dont recall what was needed to mount the ppv caliper to the spindle on an 05 Tahoe. Maybe another thread that goes more into detail on the gmt800's. I haven't searched that section yet. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20240205_144029.jpg
    20240205_144029.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 5

1badjimmy

Reaction score
Side note, I read through these posts and dont recall what was needed to mount the ppv caliper to the spindle on an 05 Tahoe. Maybe another thread that goes more into detail on the gmt800's. I haven't searched that section yet. Thanks!
The factory 05 Tahoe caliper bolt and a stainless washer for centering the caliper over the rotor should be all that is needed.

I didn’t feel that there was enough thread engagement after adding the washer so I got a little longer socket head cap screw.

RTLINGR2

Reaction score
The factory 05 Tahoe caliper bolt and a stainless washer for centering the caliper over the rotor should be all that is needed.

I didn’t feel that there was enough thread engagement after adding the washer so I got a little longer socket head cap screw.
Really, its that simple. Thanks for the info.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
I lnow this is an old thread. Just thought I would add some info. Not sure if it will help.

On our 2021+ ppv tahoes we replace the factory pads with Raybestos Police # SP2407PP for fronts and # SP2174APPH for rears. Available at O'Reillys. I dont recall cost of pads but I dont recall them being super expensive. Replacement rotors in the Raybestos Police are about $100 each.

Doing the PPV brakes on my 2021 Yukon Denali XL. Got the Raybestos pads and rotors for the front and rear. Threw the rear brakes on and they're nice and quiet. The fronts w/ PPV Brembo calipers will go on in the next day or two, and I'm sure they'll be nice and quiet too. Thanks for the part numbers and info!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjvieira

Latest posts