2011 Tahoe/Bad engine ticking, 153k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Also might want to make sure the spark plugs are still tight/torqued.

Many years ago on another vehicle I had a ticking noise and thought it was valvetrain. I was changing the plugs and found one loose and it didn't dawn on me that it could have been causing the ticking noise until I started it after changing the plugs and the noise was gone.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

NotQuiteanSS

Reaction score
Is there a way to upload a quick video? I just tried a 10 sec video and it was denied (too large) Definitely sounds like a mechanical tic, with a mechanical popping a few times. It sounds the same on both sides of the engine.

If a lifter or two broke, How bad ($$) of a repair do you folks think it is? Just lifters, or the whole enchilada? IE cam, lifters, push rods, and so on....

I am at 153k miles

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ummm.....Yeah. That sounds like a likely collapsed lifter.

When you had the valve covers off, did you happen to try and turn the motor over by hand by putting a socket and breaker bar on the harmonic bolt?? If so, did all the rockers move?

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t run it anymore until it gets repaired. I agree it sounds like a collapsed lifter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ridnclean18