2007 Tahoe 5.3l AFM DOD delete thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Taheezy_88

Taheezy_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:

Got rained out most of the day but managed to pressure wash(low pressure)my passenger rocker cover, timing cover, and oil pan. The oil pan was gunked up inside. I managed to get at the bottom real good cleaned up inside out and looks almost new.

Got the timing cover on with new crank seal and installed the valley plate.
Torqueing the valley plate was a lil bit shady. Towards the final turns of torqueing it felt like only the bolt head was spinning and it was about to snap but luckily they were okay.

My lifters came in today but the box was damaged and oil everywhere. When I opened the box the lifters were scattered everywhere. Sent them back for refund and now have to order new lifters and wait. This puts me back.

Waiting on the new lifters I will get the differential back in and the oil pan.

Good news I sent my ECM out to Brendan.

Thanks guys

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:

Got rained out most of the day but managed to pressure wash(low pressure)my passenger rocker cover, timing cover, and oil pan. The oil pan was gunked up inside. I managed to get at the bottom real good cleaned up inside out and looks almost new.

Got the timing cover on with new crank seal and installed the valley plate.
Torqueing the valley plate was a lil bit shady. Towards the final turns of torqueing it felt like only the bolt head was spinning and it was about to snap but luckily they were okay.

My lifters came in today but the box was damaged and oil everywhere. When I opened the box the lifters were scattered everywhere. Sent them back for refund and now have to order new lifters and wait. This puts me back.

Waiting on the new lifters I will get the differential back in and the oil pan.

Good news I sent my ECM out to Brendan.

Thanks guys

I'd bet money that gunk is the cause for the AFM failure. With the tiny passages and the reliance on solenoids/valves, etc., the AFM system is sensitive to buildup.

That sucks about the lifters. Besides delaying you, they're too rare and precious to be wasted like that.

OP
OP
Taheezy_88

Taheezy_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed the lock today the teeth didn't line up with the flywheel when tightening down I will have to adjust it tomorrow. I got the timing cover, Water Pump, radiator and fans in. I have the Oil pan and gasket ready in place just need to put the screws in(have it resting on the rack and pinion). I changed the differential fluid today also.

Staring at the exhaust Headers I am tempted to take them off and replace with something else I cant decide.

Ordered lifters from Summit last night and will be replacing rocker arms and push rods also.

Here's a pic of the lifters I got. They were shaking around in the box pretty good before I opened (I placed a couple back in the tray before pic).

20210314_100223.jpg

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Installed the lock today the teeth didn't line up with the flywheel when tightening down I will have to adjust it tomorrow. I got the timing cover, Water Pump, radiator and fans in. I have the Oil pan and gasket ready in place just need to put the screws in(have it resting on the rack and pinion). I changed the differential fluid today also.

Staring at the exhaust Headers I am tempted to take them off and replace with something else I cant decide.

Ordered lifters from Summit last night and will be replacing rocker arms and push rods also.

Here's a pic of the lifters I got. They were shaking around in the box pretty good before I opened (I placed a couple back in the tray before pic).

View attachment 273586
Ugh... heartbreak. They probably would've been fine, but I wouldn't chance it either. What kind did you order?

OP
OP
Taheezy_88

Taheezy_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugh... heartbreak. They probably would've been fine, but I wouldn't chance it either. What kind did you order?
I went with Summit GM performance lifters just got them today and thankfully they were packaged right.

I was going to chance that and keep the other lifters I ordered but with my luck I decided to play it safe.

What is the performance route of the LM7 5.3l?
Cam I figured and I kinda wish I went with a bigger cam but oh well the L33 is a small upgrade over my stock.

Found this article the other night about cam comparisons for the LM7. Pretty good read for anyone with the LM7 5.3l
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ls-cam-test-comparison/

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with Summit GM performance lifters just got them today and thankfully they were packaged right.

I was going to chance that and keep the other lifters I ordered but with my luck I decided to play it safe.

What is the performance route of the LM7 5.3l?
Cam I figured and I kinda wish I went with a bigger cam but oh well the L33 is a small upgrade over my stock.

Found this article the other night about cam comparisons for the LM7. Pretty good read for anyone with the LM7 5.3l
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ls-cam-test-comparison/

The L33 is identical to your stock cam, just without the AFM lobes. The point of putting it in an LMG is to have a cam that works 100% like stock on the stock tune. There are mild performance cams that will work fine on the stock tune, but they leave a little room for optimization. IMO, any cam worth spending the cash on will require a custom tune, and that's another ~$500 or more in expenses. This is why you settle on your plans for your project and stick to it. Switching up mid-game is expensive! I scored a mild cam for $100 from a friend after I had already bought all the stuff for a 100% stock AFM delete (including an L33 cam). Yeah, the cam was a no-brainer at $100, but all the supporting mods (push rods, head work, converter, custom tune, etc.) that cam entailed more than doubled what I had planned to invest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alejo2160