2007 Tahoe 5.3l AFM DOD delete thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Taheezy_88

Taheezy_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are the same ones I have. They are great quality and fit well.
Cool cause I was worried about fitment issues.

I got the top end done all is left is the new headers, and differential. I've been milking this rebuild

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where on the oil pan did it crack? Can't tell from the close-up pic. There should be no reason for this to happen if everything is installed correctly. The alignment of the front and rear covers is very critical. If one point of a cover is below the block skirt, it'll interfere with the oil pan.

Double check everything and don't forget the RTV at the four points.

OP
OP
Taheezy_88

Taheezy_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where on the oil pan did it crack? Can't tell from the close-up pic. There should be no reason for this to happen if everything is installed correctly. The alignment of the front and rear covers is very critical. If one point of a cover is below the block skirt, it'll interfere with the oil pan.

Double check everything and don't forget the RTV at the four points.
RTV the engine block four points or gasket/oil pan?

Tomorrow I will triple check everything.

As far as cracking I'm not sure if it was my torque sequence?
20210325_194922.jpg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RTV the engine block four points or gasket/oil pan?

Tomorrow I will triple check everything.

As far as cracking I'm not sure if it was my torque sequence?
View attachment 274367

You put it at the four points where the covers meet the block. Two at the front and two at the rear:

090_2992bfce41e463822042b6f055027460b5262eb6.jpg

I wanted to mention the cover alignment cuz the tolerances are pretty tight. They all screw into each other. You didn't remove the rear cover so that's not a problem. IIRC, you used a tool to center the front cover. This centers it around the crankshaft so the seal is centered. But, the cover can rotate a degree or so in either direction around the crankshaft and tool cuz there's enough slack in the bolt holes. This would make the bottom points of the front cover either too low (protruding down where the oil pan flange would hit it) or too high (too large of a gap). Think of it like a see-saw where the seal around the crankshaft is the pivot and the bottom corners are the seats. When one is low, the other is high.

I saw the cracks in the pan. I was asking where on the pan are they, like the general location- front left or right side, rear left or right, etc.

OP
OP
Taheezy_88

Taheezy_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cracks came from the left drive side of the pan near the oil filter.

As for the RTV good thing I haven't torqued down the oil pan. Ill have to drop the pan a bit and apply the RTV in those areas. I rtv the gasket/oil pan.

Sent from my SM-S215DL using Tapatalk

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cracks came from the left drive side of the pan near the oil filter.

As for the RTV good thing I haven't torqued down the oil pan. Ill have to drop the pan a bit and apply the RTV in those areas. I rtv the gasket/oil pan.

Sent from my SM-S215DL using Tapatalk

Maybe you were tightening up that bolt too much ahead of the others? You can use a razor blade or some other straightedge on the rail of the block where the pan goes. Slide it along the rail towards where the front cover is. If the straightedge hits the front cover like a dam, then the cover is protruding too far. Chances are, the one on the opposite side will have a small (really small!) gap. You need to not have anything hanging too low nor do you want it too high. If one side is low, it'll need to go up. But, the opposite side will need to go down. Otherwise, your seal will no longer be centered.

OP
OP
Taheezy_88

Taheezy_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the chances of breaking an oil pan bolt while torqueing? I've just read it happens in other threads.

Checking pan alignment now Iamdub
Edit: Timing cover was a hair off with oil pan. I rtv the hell out of every corner and have it sitting now.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT