2007 Tahoe 5.3l AFM DOD delete thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check and see if yours already has the improved driver's side rocker cover. If not, get it. GM PN#: 12642655

The updated design greatly reduces oil consumption.

Are you replacing the VLOM with a blank valley cover? Either way, you'll want to make sure no oil leaks from the AFM towers anymore.

I would not go aftermarket with the oil or water pump unless you knew who the OE supplier is, such as Melling for the oil pump. Also, which oil pump? The latest design of the M355 is what I would use for the iron block LMG motor.

Google and download this file and read it a couple of times before you start: Rebuilding GMs Gen IV 5.3 Engine

Thanks, that is a very enlightening article.

OP
OP
Taheezy_88

Taheezy_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, that is a very enlightening article.
Thank you. I will definitely google search that link. I will look into capping the afm towers and the manifold. I looked into that manifold and says it doesn't fit 07 and the pcv valve is a different fitment idk how accurate I am since I only read a couple minutes of it.

Im in the process of taking the harmonic balancer bolt off gotta run to harbor freight to get a chain to hold the pulley. The pulley removal from Oriellys has three knuckles on it so idk how thats gonna go.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I will definitely google search that link. I will look into capping the afm towers and the manifold. I looked into that manifold and says it doesn't fit 07 and the pcv valve is a different fitment idk how accurate I am since I only read a couple minutes of it.

Im in the process of taking the harmonic balancer bolt off gotta run to harbor freight to get a chain to hold the pulley. The pulley removal from Oriellys has three knuckles on it so idk how thats gonna go.

I think you lost me.

The PCV is in the valve cover in the '07.

I think for the AFM Delete you are doing, you want the valley cover that doesn't have any provisions for AFM oil distribution (it is flat on top, versus having all those oil galleries on top and on bottom just has the round bosses and gaskets that cap the AFM oil galleries in the block, versus all the oil galleries, solenoids, etc., on the bottom side). Just in case, to reiterate what @iamdub was saying was to plug the block galleries and then the new valley cover will cap the top of those plugged galleries, if that made sense.

The valley cover you need will say it doesn't fit as it doesn't have any AFM provisions. You are using a valley cover that fits the block but was for an engine that didn't come with AFM, if that is what you were asking.

OP
OP
Taheezy_88

Taheezy_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you lost me.

The PCV is in the valve cover in the '07.

I think for the AFM Delete you are doing, you want the valley cover that doesn't have any provisions for AFM oil distribution (it is flat on top, versus having all those oil galleries on top and on bottom just has the round bosses and gaskets that cap the AFM oil galleries in the block, versus all the oil galleries, solenoids, etc., on the bottom side). Just in case, to reiterate what @iamdub was saying was to plug the block galleries and then the new valley cover will cap the top of those plugged galleries, if that made sense.

The valley cover you need will say it doesn't fit as it doesn't have any AFM provisions. You are using a valley cover that fits the block but was for an engine that didn't come with AFM, if that is what you were asking.

I understood what Iamdub was saying about capping off oil galleries. Sorry if my response was jibberish I was in the middle of stuff probably didn't have my head straight.

The rocker arm cover or valve cover I read only a bit about but read somewhere along the lines the pcv valve doesn't fit my stock tubing.

I didnt get the Harmonic balancer pulley off only about 3/4 of the way off because tool i had rented the pin was to short. Ill have to order one off amazon.

Last edited:

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understood what Iamdub was saying about capping off oil galleries. Sorry if my response was jibberish I was in the middle of stuff probably didn't have my head straight.

The rocker arm cover or valve cover I read only a bit about but read somewhere along the lines the pcv valve doesn't fit my stock tubing.

I didnt get the Harmonic balancer pulley off only about 3/4 of the way off because tool i had rented the pin was to short. Ill have to order one off amazon.
The tubing should fit the same. They just moved the port.

For the pulley, can’t you put a socket in there as a spacer?

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Like Wade said above, the tubing you have should fit on the new valve cover PCV. I think the PCV is the same, I believe they just moved the hole on the underside of the cover to keep oil from squirting directly into it. In any case, you will want a catch can (air oil separator) when all this is done, so you really won't "need" the stock tubing between the PCV and Intake anyway.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The PVC valve orifice sizes on the valve covers are supposed to be different from 07-09 and later years. This is stated on the GM tech bulletin not to mismatch or it could cause engine check lights. However under a circumstance I just had to deal with recently, I put a later year post 09 upgraded cover on my 07 and I have not any issues so far with that, for what it is worth. Just thought I would mention it.

OP
OP
Taheezy_88

Taheezy_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check and see if yours already has the improved driver's side rocker cover. If not, get it. GM PN#: 12642655

The updated design greatly reduces oil consumption.

Are you replacing the VLOM with a blank valley cover? Either way, you'll want to make sure no oil leaks from the AFM towers anymore.

I would not go aftermarket with the oil or water pump unless you knew who the OE supplier is, such as Melling for the oil pump. Also, which oil pump? The latest design of the M355 is what I would use for the iron block LMG motor.

Google and download this file and read it a couple of times before you start: Rebuilding GMs Gen IV 5.3 Engine

Going to order the m355 oil pump, oem water pump from Oriellys and the GM PN#: 12642655. Iamdub ill grab those bearings from oriellys on my next run Monday. Thanks for the parts info guys

Last edited:

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PVC valve orifice sizes on the valve covers are supposed to be different from 07-09 and later years. This is stated on the GM tech bulletin not to mismatch or it could cause engine check lights. However under a circumstance I just had to deal with recently, I put a later year post 09 upgraded cover on my 07 and I have not any issues so far with that, for what it is worth. Just thought I would mention it.

I have the updated valve cover on my ‘07 as well, no problems (other than essentially zero oil use). The 3/8 fuel line hose for the catch can slipped on fine.

OP
OP
Taheezy_88

Taheezy_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz