07+ Brake upgrade on a 00-06 NBS, is it worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When i went to 20 inch wheels i got a spare from an escalade in the junkyard that had 20`s from the factory, I can`t remember the exact size but it is very close to the same diameter as a 275/55/20 and fits perfectly in the spare tire location.
My AWD 2013 Denali XL came from the factory with 4 20” wheels and a 17” spare.

Key is circumference of tire, not diameter of rim. That being said, the spare is there to get you to a place to fix or replace the good tire.

AWD is much more sensitive to circumference differences as the t-case and front diff are always engaged. On a 4WD vehicle, they are not engaged while in 2WD.

I have done double tire changes on 2WD cars with the economy donut so my drive axle has same size tires on it.

iddqd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All GMT900+ have 17" spare. You just need to play with the tire size to match the height of ur other 4 tires. Try to choose the most narrow, otherwise it will stick out too low under the back.

I am running 275/65R18 now, so my spare is 255/75R17.

In the future I am going to run 275/60R20 for summer and 275/70R18 or 285/65R18 for winter, so I will replace a spare tire accordingly.

This site shows u all the measurements:
https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator

PS. I think it's a bad idea to change flat tire in 2 steps (if you have 16" spare). It is already dangerous to do it once, why subject yourself to double risk?

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to get a picture but there was no way i could get the whole wheel and tire in the shot. The tire size was a 265/70/17. It does fit up there with room to spare though, I think i have heard guys here say that a 33 will fit under there.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somehow, I didn't notice this thread....... I am planning to get PowerStop rotors/calipers - GMT900 size for the fronts and their '05 pads for the rear. of my '05 Yukon........
I just had my brake fluid flushed...... I WISH I thought of changing my brake lines to SS when I had the fluid flushed..

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just went through all 40 pages of this thread. Great info!! Page 5 seemed to have all the part numbers you need.
I need to change my rotors / pads. Figured I'd change the calipers too so might as well go for this upgrade. Along with the SS lines. Planning for next week, will post an update after.

I am happy with my PowerStop rotors/calipers & SS lines on my '05 Yukon.....
( I was born in Victoria,,,, Moving to Palm Beach ...tomorrow ! )

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just went through all 40 pages of this thread. Great info!! Page 5 seemed to have all the part numbers you need.
I need to change my rotors / pads. Figured I'd change the calipers too so might as well go for this upgrade. Along with the SS lines. Planning for next week, will post an update after.
That is the best time to do it! Really does not cost anymore than simply replacing with the same original setup so why not go for a "free" OEM big brake kit?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmiller727

Latest posts