07+ Brake upgrade on a 00-06 NBS, is it worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of you who upgraded your 00-06 Tahoe/Yukon front brakes to the larger 07+ style front brakes, is it worth it? I want farbetter braking than I have now on my 01, and I'm wondering the best way to go about it. Will the 07 brakes stop my truck faster? I'd like real reviews from those who have actually done it. Or should I save up my cash for a big brake kit (which I'll probly never be able to afford anyway)??
I currently have Power Stop drilled and slotted rotors with Wagner Thermoquiet Ceramic pads. They stop a tad bit better than stock, but I need to stop my truck faster. Especially if my wife is driving it, LOL.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scottyboy, I have all the parts to do this conversion......but I have to find the time to actually swap it out! When I get a chance to do them, I'll give you may opinion!

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Chris. Let us know how it turns out. Whether its a week or two from now, or 6-8 months from now please keep me posted.
I read about people doing this conversion all the time, but nobody ever states how much it actually improves the braking. Yeah, if your brakes are worn out and need to be replaced anyways, I'm sure there will be a HUGE difference in the way it stops. But if you already have good rotors and pads like I do, will this mod REALLY make much if any difference in stopping power and/or stopping distance ??

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure hope it doesn't take me "months" to get around to it......but I wouldn't be surprised if it did! lol

And to mention, I have an all OEM braking system so I would see way more benefit than you would but will still check back in when I get around to actually doing the swap!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sub'd. I also recently installed drilled and slotted rotors, so it's hard to justify the upgrade.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interested in a review with them on. Also put the Powerstop drilled and slotted rotors and new pads last year, so can't justify the upgrade unless it really is night and day.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read subjective reviews stating that there is a noticeable difference.

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=122524.0

I plan to do it when I wear through my fronts.

Might be worth going with the police package:

http://www.rockauto.com/info/Raybestos/PoliceBrochure.pdf

Finally got around to finding time for the Upgrade...........have to say the difference is night and day! Fantastic upgrade! Couple of pics; but due to time constraints, painting the calipers was not an option...... sad.gif

OEM GMT800 setup:

OldCal1.png

GMT900 update:

NewCal1.png

NewCal2.png

Many thanks to everyone that contributed to this post! Highly recommended!!

thumbsup.gif

1992rs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the upgrade. I used R1 premier slotted rotors, ac delco front calipers, hawks lts and goodridge ss lines. It is much better than what it is was before but I am also on stock 17's, I have no way to quantify it other than the seat of the pants/pedal travel feel and I now want bigger sway bars to control the nose dive when traffic just decides to randomly stop.

I wish I could tell ya what made the biggest difference, whether its the 1in extra mechanical leverage from the rotor and the beastly calipers, the pads or the ss lines.

I would try the ss lines first and if you aren't satisfied then do the nnbs upgrade. Theres always hydroboost as well

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i upgraded i went with R-1 E-line slotted and drilled rotors and SS lines too and i think it made a big difference. I never really had a reason to slam on the brakes with them installed until a few months ago when i was towing my 6x12 trailer with my yamaha rhino on it going about 75 when the traffic came to a sudden stop from an accident. I was behind a tractor trailer so i couldn`t see brake lights in front of him and i`m sure that with the stock brakes i would have slammed into him but i easily stopped with a few car lengths to spare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos