Is a Denali worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ilikemtb999

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coming from an 06 YXL Denali to an 08 and lastly an 09 Esky ESV, the 06 was the smoothest of them all with the 20” alum alloys and z55. Back in ‘14 we couldn’t find a decent 01-06 to replace it so we went to an 08.

The next Gen moves to rack & pinion steering and a much more refined 6 second AWD beast. The drivability and milage goes up with the 6SP trans. We moved to the 09 Esky to get the one year only L9H 6.2L without cylinder deactivation (AFM) and e85 capability. Since ‘20 the savings by using e85 vs 91 in CA have almost paid for the purchase price of the truck. It’s an $80 vs $160+ differential for the 30 gal tank.

Both Gen are predictable 300k+ milage platforms. The dual a/c - heating is unmatched along with 4 heated heats. In 09 Denali offers a/c front seats, 2WD and Esky also goes 2WD in 09 with a/c front seats from 07. After 10 all a/c seats went to fans only.

Happy Hunting for the jewel.
I owned a 2010 Tahoe and though the drivetrain and suspension are better, the interior is so much worse. Dash issues, door card issues, seat issues. The 6 speed leaves a lot to be desired, I’ve had 4 vehicles with it and it’s quirky even with a tune. I wish they weren’t so bad inside. My nnbs Sierra had the same seat issues but dash and door cards are different and fine.

I prefer the nbs suv to nnbs.

OP
OP
Ilikemtb999

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only GMT800 mode you will find with a LTZ will be in suburban and it will only be 2006. That was the first year it was offered and they’re hard to find since Chevy didn’t build a ton of those that year. Plus you won’t have a two speed transfer case with selectable 4x4 options. The LTZ package was only offered with the same AWD transfer case that came in the Denali trimmed Yukon and the Escalade.
Didn’t realize the ltz was 06 only, I knew it was awd. Thanks for the info
If you really love everything about the Denali but want part time 4WD vs AWD, see about getting one converted. HOWEVER, I put my youngest daughter in an AWD Sierra Denali after reading up on it.Aside from the ~1 MPG loss, it is a really good system.
I would really really prefer a 2wd vehicle to all of it but they’re rare.

OP
OP
Ilikemtb999

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members