Is a Denali worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not new to full size SUV’s and always seem to end up back to looking at them but I’ve never driven or been in a Denali, specifically looking at an 05 Denali xl.

My last nbs was an 03 Yukon SLT with full time 4wd and can’t say I loved it over just a selectable 2wd/4wd t case. All the extra bells and whistles are enticing with the Denali though like dvd player and this one appears to even have heated middle row seats.

I’m really just curious if it’s worth pursuing over a suburban lt or ltz (I know 06 was awd for those too).

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are nice. The 6.0L has a lot of grunt and sounds healthy. The ride is superb. I have owned 6 Denali suvs over the years and won't go back to a regular one now.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the vehicle has been maintained and the suspension system hasn’t been gutted, the Denali package does make a nice vehicle to drive and ride.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is not quite apples to apples, but my daughter has an '03 Sierra Denali, and that thing is FUN to drive. And it is all stock. My wife has an '05 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer, and we pretty much take it everywhere. That said, it is overdue for a suspension refresh. We've got well over 200k on the original suspension.

If the one you are looking at was well maintained, get it. If it was not, determine how deep a money pit you can fund. These things are really hardy, and they can drive for years in not 100% perfect condition. But the ride, among other things, can really suffer.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove all the variants of the long bodies when I was shopping for one in 2015. I knew I’d enjoy a Denali but didn’t want to come off as too flashy being that I was only a few months shy of turning 23. But the more I drove the other variants the more I wanted a Denali. I found a 2005 Z71 4x4 suburban for sale that wa sun good shape. Drove it and I had the options I knew were non negotiable, like leather interior, front heated seats, and 4x4 drove train. But I felt the 5.3 in the longer heavier burb was a bit under powered. Found a 2006 XL SLT package and same thing, had what I wanted but still a 5.3. Almost bought a beautifully well maintained 2006 Escalade ESV I found through a private seller, and the Escalade is my dream car. Always wanted a GMT800 Escalade. But I just couldn’t get over the fact that I wasn’t 23 yet and would be daily-ing a caddy….. i live in a small mountain town and people talk enough BS as it is. Lol. Found my 2006 XL Denali, and that was all she wrote. Lol.

I definitely enjoy having an LQ4 6.0 over any 5.3. It’s just so fun to drive with a 6.0. I would like to turn off the all wheel drive for summer when I don’t need it but honestly it makes driving up and down the mountains I live In So much more fun with all wheel drive. It’s never met a situation where the all wheel drive couldn’t handle, and this passed winter we had 10 feet of snow in 10 days, a record shattering storm. It handled all the snow just fine. Everything about is more comfortable. My snowbaord buddies, most of whom are coworkers from my home ski resort always love to take my truck on trips to mammoth mountain, which is our sister resort for training because it’s big and comfortable. Everyone loves the mid row heated seats. You’ll only get that feature in a Denali trim Yukon or an Escalade as that’s exclusive to the Y91 “lux option” package for the GMT800s.
The suspension package in the Denali is awesome. I replaced all the Z55 autoride suspension parts with direct replacements from arnott industries. It all functions just like it did out of the factory and rides just as good. Plus the auto leavening rear shocks are awesome for towing which I do a lot of. Plus having the HD tow package option which I believe is standard on the Denali, gave me engine oil cooler and a transmission oil cooler, plus that trans cooler is easily upgradable which I did. The trans temp gauge in the cluster is a nice addition too.

The only GMT800 SUV I’d get rid of my Denali for, would be a platinum trimmed Escalade. Lol. I wouldn’t trade my Denali for even the lowest mileage LTZ 2006 burb or SLT Yukon.

Last edited:

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife has a 2005 Suburban 2500 with the 6.0 and 3.73 gears. My daughter has a 2005 Suburban 1500 with the 5.3 and 3.42. My daughter needed the MPG over the oomph of the 6.0, butI have found her Suburban to be peppy enough. I also suspect that 3.73 gearing on a 5.3 would give you the experience you like so much. The 5.3 is a really good engine, in and of itself. That said, the only thing I have "against" the 6.0 is its MPG (or lack thereof). It pretty much defines the statement that you can pass everything except the gas station. :)

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife has a 2005 Suburban 2500 with the 6.0 and 3.73 gears. My daughter has a 2005 Suburban 1500 with the 5.3 and 3.42. My daughter needed the MPG over the oomph of the 6.0, butI have found her Suburban to be peppy enough. I also suspect that 3.73 gearing on a 5.3 would give you the experience you like so much. The 5.3 is a really good engine, in and of itself. That said, the only thing I have "against" the 6.0 is its MPG (or lack thereof). It pretty much defines the statement that you can pass everything except the gas station. :)
I did forget about the gearing. 3.73s definitely help and my Denali has that out of the factory. Another reason to go Denali. Lol.

Oh I agree that the 5.3 is a great motor. Tried and true tech and proven reliable. I just knew it wouldn’t have the umph I wanted. And in real life testing when I was driving them, the 5.3 fuel mileage was only minimally better than the 6.0, not enough difference to make me want to buy a 5.3 powered long body over a 6.0 powered long body. The real difference in fuel expense comes in the octane of fuel used. I ran 87 the first year I owned mine, not knowing I needed to anything different. But the minute I switched over to 91, I noticed much better engine operation. For me at least, it was noticeable how crappy the engine was running on 87, and my fuel economy was in the crapper. Started running 91 and it almost immediately got better. And then when I had blackbear performance tune it in November of 2017 he adjusted the tune to accommodate running 91. Yeah 91 is more expensive to buy, but so much more worth it given the truck performs better and sees better fuel economy even around town running it.

jeremiahm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The suspension refresh and running 91 are the key elements. I missed the 91 need the first few months I had mine and as soon as I switched it was a whole new beast. I know its not apples to apples as I have the 6.2. I thought about gutting the suspension for simplicity, but reading through the forum I will keep it! The Arnotts have treated me well.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did forget about the gearing. 3.73s definitely help and my Denali has that out of the factory. Another reason to go Denali. Lol.

Oh I agree that the 5.3 is a great motor. Tried and true tech and proven reliable. I just knew it wouldn’t have the umph I wanted. And in real life testing when I was driving them, the 5.3 fuel mileage was only minimally better than the 6.0, not enough difference to make me want to buy a 5.3 powered long body over a 6.0 powered long body. The real difference in fuel expense comes in the octane of fuel used. I ran 87 the first year I owned mine, not knowing I needed to anything different. But the minute I switched over to 91, I noticed much better engine operation. For me at least, it was noticeable how crappy the engine was running on 87, and my fuel economy was in the crapper. Started running 91 and it almost immediately got better. And then when I had blackbear performance tune it in November of 2017 he adjusted the tune to accommodate running 91. Yeah 91 is more expensive to buy, but so much more worth it given the truck performs better and sees better fuel economy even around town running it.
Sometimes it isn't the cost of the gas, it's the number of gas stations you can pass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts