What did you do to your OBS GMT400 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My99Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a summer of some wheeling in Colorado, I am starting the process of:
Engine Oil & Filter
Bleed Brakes & Fluid Exchange
Brake Pads & rotors
New Transmission Pan with Drain Plug
Transmission Exchange and Filter
Differential Fluid Exchange - Front & Rear
Steering Gear Fluid Exchange
Transfer Case Fluid Exchange
Shock replacement

I will put some separate comments in my thread. For example tonight, the process of purging the transmission system of the old garbage fluid rather than just dropping the pan and doing a transmission fluid and transmission filter change required a bit more thought and research. Fluid exchange. Transmission Fluid Exchange.

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Until you double check the gauge there is no way to know

Just checked my ECT with a bluetooth OBDII reader. New thermostat hangs around 195 and shows 160 ish on my gauge. SO that means I was running around 220 and engine was hitting 250 before the stat was opening. No wonder my oil has been looking like crap after 1500 miles.

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flushed the power steering. Thought I'd try that before I change the pump. Fluid hasn't been in long but wasn't looking so hot.
IMG_1012.JPG

I used a short piece/ 6" of 3/8 tubing folded to block the hard line, and 3-4' of 5/8 pushed over the other side to send the fluid to a catch can.
IMG_1014.JPG

If you don't have a syringe a 'flavor injector' works great for sucking PS and brake fluid out of the reservoirs. I think I bought mine at the grocery store.

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed the oil again. Didn't bother with filter as it was only changed a couple weeks ago. I was going to do transfer case also but the Wally World container doesn't fit my fluid pump. Washed out an empty coolant container so I can use that and will do it later in the week.

I've had a noisy lifter for years, back end of the passenger side. It got so noisy sometimes I was worried it was damaging the engine. I did a few quick oil changes with Wally World cheap synthetic and 1/3 can Seafoam last year and it has been much better. Oil was coming out black after a couple hundred miles. For too many years I was changing the oil every 3k, but that was taking me 1.5 - 2 years to hit. Realized my mistake and now try to change it every 6 months or so.
Recently the oil had been in for a year /1500 miles and I heard an awful racket a couple times from the top front / mid passenger side of the engine. I stuck 1/3 can seafoam in and changed the oil a few days later and I haven't heard that again. Lifter is still showing up quietly once in a while.
I had cooling issues a few years back and the engine got a bit hot a few times before I took care of it. Probably didn't help. That's been part of my reasoning for excessive oil changes.

Now I'm wondering if the high engine temp from the dodgy thermostat i swapped has been making the oil deteriorate faster. That's the main reason I changed the oil so quick, it was in for a couple weeks with the bad stat. I guess I'll find out from how it looks on the next oil change.

Happy wrenching.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changed the oil again. Didn't bother with filter as it was only changed a couple weeks ago. I was going to do transfer case also but the Wally World container doesn't fit my fluid pump. Washed out an empty coolant container so I can use that and will do it later in the week.

I've had a noisy lifter for years, back end of the passenger side. It got so noisy sometimes I was worried it was damaging the engine. I did a few quick oil changes with Wally World cheap synthetic and 1/3 can Seafoam last year and it has been much better. Oil was coming out black after a couple hundred miles. For too many years I was changing the oil every 3k, but that was taking me 1.5 - 2 years to hit. Realized my mistake and now try to change it every 6 months or so.
Recently the oil had been in for a year /1500 miles and I heard an awful racket a couple times from the top front / mid passenger side of the engine. I stuck 1/3 can seafoam in and changed the oil a few days later and I haven't heard that again. Lifter is still showing up quietly once in a while.
I had cooling issues a few years back and the engine got a bit hot a few times before I took care of it. Probably didn't help. That's been part of my reasoning for excessive oil changes.

Now I'm wondering if the high engine temp from the dodgy thermostat i swapped has been making the oil deteriorate faster. That's the main reason I changed the oil so quick, it was in for a couple weeks with the bad stat. I guess I'll find out from how it looks on the next oil change.

Happy wrenching.
Have you ever considered an engine oil analysis from Blackstone? It’s a great way to tell you what is really up with the engine. And definitely worth the small cost.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/?se...abs.net/Bstone/(S(ypq2mcjdiivdlsbxd53oqv45))/

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you ever considered an engine oil analysis from Blackstone?

I haven't. Engine only just hit 107k. I think/hope it's mostly related to what I already mentioned. The tick only happens at idle and a stronger idle has helped. I know a lot of the engine is aluminum etc but I have an aftermarket drain plug with a strong magnet and it's surprisingly picking up very little / basically nothing. At worst a coat of sludge.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep it in mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar