What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hardly use the rear liftgate glass button above the license plate and just noticed last night that the rubber cover is dried out and breaking down leaving black Soot on your finger. Is the cover replaceable or do you have to replace the entire switch?
The entire switch is about $25.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright here goes…I’m in a bit of a dilemma. While I have the front end removed and the 40k unhooked, should I just bite the bullet and replace the radiator now?
While I’ve never had any heat issues, I am at 96k miles (6.2l) so time is ticking for the radiator. These are usually what a 150-200k replacement if they don’t get clogged or fail before that timeframe?
I replaced the water pump and all the hoses, fittings, clamps as well as the oil cooler lines, power steering lines and the pump. If I am replacing the radiator, do I need to replace anything else while I’m in there - mounts, clips, support frame…etc?

I know over in the tru-cool thread we all recently discussed which Rad is better versus which is easier to “plug and play” without extra dissection of the supports, but I can’t remember if we discussed any of the other replacement items. I’m sure someone (or many) has at one point or another in this thread.

So…whatcha got for me? Do it while it’s in pieces and before it’s too late?

Thanks…

At only 96K, I wouldn't worry about it. But, you're in Michigan so maybe corrosion is a factor. I replaced mine when the tank cracked a little past 200K. It's a really easy job and, IMO, not one you worry about unless there are signs of failure or if it's aged and you're embarking on a long trip. Having the front off doesn't mean anything as far as radiator replacement is concerned other than you're standing at the front of the vehicle with the hood up.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And the other question is where is the best place to buy a new one? Has anyone had any issues with damage during shipment or warranty issues with one distributor versus another?

These days- wherever the hell you can! I first ordered an ACDelco OE from Rock Auto and the one I received wasn't what I ordered. They made me pay shipping to send it back. I didn't wanna deal with them again but they were the only place that had a specific Denso in stock, so I ordered from them again. I love the Denso and would recommend it. It was thicker than my original (as I wanted) and had the engine oil cooler as well as the trans cooler. It was also considerably cheaper than the ACDelco. Cheap enough that it covered my shipping cost loss as well as the cost of an ACDelco line set to add the engine oil cooler to my rig. This was early '21 so YMMV.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need to replace the core supports and the new radiator should include them anyway in case yours are rotted out, but I doubt it. And if you buy a direct-fit OEM radiator, you won't have to mess with adding any restrictions to the bypass tube, etc. But I would replace the coolant tees at the firewall if you haven't already, along with the heater hoses and wye, since you didn't specifically mention those. The correct one for the Yukon Denali that will match the original in core thickness is this one: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dnp-221-9514 Note that Denso is the OEM manufacturer for GM also.

Nearly all of the others listed as fitting it on sites like RockAuto, Autozone, etc actually have a thinner than OEM 1" core. But I measured my core when I replaced the one in my '07 and it's 1.3" thick.

This is the Denso I went with as an upgrade for my Tahoe. Was only $123.79 back then. :(

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my original radiator cracked right after I bought the truck at about 84k, funny thing was I already shopping around for one because after 5 years a radiator is questionable in my book unless I know it has been maintained and flushed annually, even then they just end up cracking which mine did right on Q

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the Denso I went with as an upgrade for my Tahoe. Was only $123.79 back then. :(
Hell of a mark up! Seems like that whole inflation thing works for everyone except the end user/consumer.
my original radiator cracked right after I bought the truck at about 84k, funny thing was I already shopping around for one because after 5 years a radiator is questionable in my book unless I know it has been maintained and flushed annually, even then they just end up cracking which mine did right on Q
This was the reason I asked. I’ve heard you guy all talk about replacing yours and to be honest, I still have the original radiator in my 02’ w/ 361k. Never had an issue with temp while driving or towing; albeit as you mentioned, I kept up on the annual maintenance. It surprises me to consider that neither vehicle had ever dealt with a clogged up or cracked radiator (or hose/fitting issues for that matter). Although I’m not sure if the older body style had the same brittle fittings. It wouldn’t surprise me either way.

Thanks for the advice. Summit will have mine delivered today. And a “new” front driveshaft will arrive from Fort Wayne Clutch via American Axle in the next couple days. Strangest damn thing since I could walk to American Axle if I wanted to. They didn’t have any on hand though.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At only 96K, I wouldn't worry about it. But, you're in Michigan so maybe corrosion is a factor. I replaced mine when the tank cracked a little past 200K. It's a really easy job and, IMO, not one you worry about unless there are signs of failure or if it's aged and you're embarking on a long trip. Having the front off doesn't mean anything as far as radiator replacement is concerned other than you're standing at the front of the vehicle with the hood up.
I watched a couple videos and check my All-Data for some R&R tips. For some reason I was thinking more had to be removed to make the job easier. One top trim cowl, the hoses and a couple bolts. Easy peasy. I may just run with what I have for now and put the spare on the shelf with my hoard of other parts.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hardly use the rear liftgate glass button above the license plate and just noticed last night that the rubber cover is dried out and breaking down leaving black Soot on your finger. Is the cover replaceable or do you have to replace the entire switch?
This was a job I did about a week ago. Not bad at all. It might be worth checking the routing of your wiring while you’re in there. There was a TSB that came out regarding erratic Liftgate behavior and unexpected Liftgate closure due to a pinched wire running up through the headliner.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hell of a mark up! Seems like that whole inflation thing works for everyone except the end user/consumer.

This was the reason I asked. I’ve heard you guy all talk about replacing yours and to be honest, I still have the original radiator in my 02’ w/ 361k. Never had an issue with temp while driving or towing; albeit as you mentioned, I kept up on the annual maintenance. It surprises me to consider that neither vehicle had ever dealt with a clogged up or cracked radiator (or hose/fitting issues for that matter). Although I’m not sure if the older body style had the same brittle fittings. It wouldn’t surprise me either way.

Thanks for the advice. Summit will have mine delivered today. And a “new” front driveshaft will arrive from Fort Wayne Clutch via American Axle in the next couple days. Strangest damn thing since I could walk to American Axle if I wanted to. They didn’t have any on hand though.
for me I am sure it is the heat, it was a Nevada vehicle and it's gets just as hot or hotter there as it does here in the central valley, plus I drive it like I robbed a bank most of the time so I am sure that is a factor as well.
most resources say radiators have a 5-10 year life span, I tend to go by the lower end of that.
I do a lot of pre-emptive maintenance based on previous experience which may or may not save me any money I can order the part or catch it on sale and do a majority of it myself instead of breaking down and getting reamed somewhere or wonder why all of a sudden it needs $2000 in repairs..... learned my lesson years ago I guess.
plus I like to tinker a litte bit from time to time. I told my wife I used to have like 6 cars, lol she doesn't understand

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkavros

Latest posts