What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for me I am sure it is the heat, it was a Nevada vehicle and it's gets just as hot or hotter there as it does here in the central valley, plus I drive it like I robbed a bank most of the time so I am sure that is a factor as well.
most resources say radiators have a 5-10 year life span, I tend to go by the lower end of that.
I do a lot of pre-emptive maintenance based on previous experience which may or may not save me any money I can order the part or catch it on sale and do a majority of it myself instead of breaking down and getting reamed somewhere or wonder why all of a sudden it needs $2000 in repairs..... learned my lesson years ago I guess.
plus I like to tinker a litte bit from time to time. I told my wife I used to have like 6 cars, lol she doesn't understand
This describes me in a nutshell as well. I also like knowing exactly what I have, and where every major component is along its lifecycle. Extrapolating from that info tells me approximately how much I can rely on a vehicle to complete whatever mission we have for it, be it driving to the store or taking it on an Alaska highway odyssey. I maintain both of our Yukon XL's to a level such that I wouldn't hesitate to leave on a 7500 mile trip tomorrow morning with either one of them.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for me I am sure it is the heat, it was a Nevada vehicle and it's gets just as hot or hotter there as it does here in the central valley, plus I drive it like I robbed a bank most of the time so I am sure that is a factor as well.
most resources say radiators have a 5-10 year life span, I tend to go by the lower end of that.
I do a lot of pre-emptive maintenance based on previous experience which may or may not save me any money I can order the part or catch it on sale and do a majority of it myself instead of breaking down and getting reamed somewhere or wonder why all of a sudden it needs $2000 in repairs..... learned my lesson years ago I guess.
plus I like to tinker a litte bit from time to time. I told my wife I used to have like 6 cars, lol she doesn't understand

This describes me in a nutshell as well. I also like knowing exactly what I have, and where every major component is along its lifecycle. Extrapolating from that info tells me approximately how much I can rely on a vehicle to complete whatever mission we have for it, be it driving to the store or taking it on an Alaska highway odyssey. I maintain both of our Yukon XL's to a level such that I wouldn't hesitate to leave on a 7500 mile trip tomorrow morning with either one of them.

"Maintenance pays, breakdowns cost"

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I totally get that. I have to agree that when possible, being proactive is much better than being reactive with regards to vehicle repairs.
In Michigan it’s the other items that need replaced more often in addition to some kind of preventive undercoating or fluid-film/tranny fluid type spray to help with the rust. Granted we don’t have the heat issues, but you’ll be hard pressed to find an older vehicle up here with a decent body - unless the vehicle spent most of its life down south or out west.
You guys saw what my sway bars looked like under the brackets, and this vehicle had only been driven in the snow three-ish years.

On a crazy note, I ordered that radiator yesterday late afternoon and it arrived at 9:45am this morning. Same goes for that front driveshaft. Those guys down at Fort Wayne Clutch do a hell of a job and after talking with them about my order this morning they have it scheduled for delivery NLT tomorrow afternoon.

Last edited:

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of radiators, I have smelled coolant when getting in the truck past few days.. Have a feeling it maybe the heater core.. wish it was the radiator :(

Changed my charging voltages for AGM batteries. I noticed while driving the voltage was at 12.7V.
I raised the minimum to 13.5V and lowered the maximum to 15V.
That is based on what I can find about maximum and minimum voltages for AGM's.. but that doesn't mean the charging cycles are optimized.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of radiators, I have smelled coolant when getting in the truck past few days.. Have a feeling it maybe the heater core.. wish it was the radiator :(

Changed my charging voltages for AGM batteries. I noticed while driving the voltage was at 12.7V.
That is based on what I can find about maximum and minimum voltages for AGM's.. but that doesn't mean the charging cycles are optimized.
Tee fitting maybe?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

changed the voltage with what?
and heater core leaks are pretty rare, I would exhaust all other possibilities before digging into that monster

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts