Newbie to site 06 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZEUS1

Reaction score
Greetings,

I have lurked on this site for several years, finding a vast wealth info about everything GM SUV related. So i have decided to join, as i will need some help with my current 06 Tahoe Z71 project. The story behind the Tahoe is, i bought it a couple of years ago for my wife. She drove it about 1 year, then it started developing issues with the throttle control, many time leaving her stuck in limp mode. I have replaced, TB connectors (i did find a broken wire at First), throttle body, TCC module, Gas pedal assembly, i have also added additional grounding, and repaired a broken wire on the ground reference side of the harness.

Nothing yet has fixed this issue permanently, so now that this thing is paid off, instead of buying a newer, vehicle, or selling this one to just get rid of my problems, i decided to turn it into my newsest project.

Plans are to pull the motor, i purchased a complete 2006 Yukon engine set up with ECU, TCC and a complete harness. My plans are a Cam upgrade with new springs, and to do all the gaskets , of course i will use the new'ish harness when i go back together with it. Hopefully this will take care of that throttle issue.

There are also a couple of issue with some blend actuators i need to address, and the driver seat heater switch, has a mind of it's own, so it will need to be replaced.

Once i can get the truck back to daily driver status, i want to go Overlanding style with the rest of the build. I am not set on what finished product will be, right now my thoughts are a small lift, Bumpers, various lights mounted around, ect. In the end i want to keep the daily driver reliability, it will be used for hunting and fishing trips, so it will need to be comfortable on road trips.

Thanks for your time, i will post a build thread once i get into it. Below is a picture of the beast.

1690897197708.png

OP
OP
ZEUS1

ZEUS1

Reaction score
Welcome to TYF from NY! Wow, the lengths you are going through to remedy your issue. Replacing the motor? No, but seriously good luck on your project!
Well, the price of Vehicles today, and the fact this one is paid off, i figured time for another project, something i know is done right. i would have just re-built the motor thats in it, but this motor i found has 50k fewer miles and came with all of the spare parts, so now i can take my time rebuilding. The motor swap will be easy after that. Then i will have an Extra 5.3 for future shenanigans

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the price of Vehicles today, and the fact this one is paid off, i figured time for another project, something i know is done right. i would have just re-built the motor thats in it, but this motor i found has 50k fewer miles and came with all of the spare parts, so now i can take my time rebuilding. The motor swap will be easy after that. Then i will have an Extra 5.3 for future shenanigans
I like the way you think. I see your list of rides. Mine goes deep too. They stopped making cars in '71 I say lol.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Welcome from NJ. Can't wait for your build thread. FYI--your other harness might have the same issue giving you the limp home mode. It's a very common issue with the NBS. I also have had this issue. I replaced the tb connector along with cleaning the ground on the driver's side below the running board. Doing this stopped the issue for over a year--til it started again. Have you checked that specific ground?

OP
OP
ZEUS1

ZEUS1

Reaction score
Welcome from NJ. Can't wait for your build thread. FYI--your other harness might have the same issue giving you the limp home mode. It's a very common issue with the NBS. I also have had this issue. I replaced the tb connector along with cleaning the ground on the driver's side below the running board. Doing this stopped the issue for over a year--til it started again. Have you checked that specific ground?
Thank you and Yes, i polished it up then sealed it, I know these issues can be a pain, i just plan to keep my figures crossed my current plan works

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Thank you and Yes, i polished it up then sealed it, I know these issues can be a pain, i just plan to keep my figures crossed my current plan works
Have you read this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019