Well i found the source of my coolant leak (big crack)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would scare me to death. Reheated plastic and thin spots. Maybe JB weld with a back up metal patch would work for me on that. But most radiator shops can replace the plastic tank for reasonable money, and the aluminum cores seem to hold up real well with good coolant maintenance.
1. California so any labor to remove and repair is far more expensive than just replacing.
I don’t do any long distance trips and I have unlimited distance AAA also if I don’t overfill the tank it doesn’t leak. however I still need to fix the pinhole just for piece of mind and I’m gonna add more filler plastic this is just to fill a time gap between a full cooling system minus water pump. also my fan clutch nut is frozen I have one that runs off the serpentine belt which needs to be taken off by a skilled mechanic I tried to replace the radiator in the first place but the thing stopping it from coming out is stuck because I don’t have a air hammer. NO MORE LOW COOLANT LIGHT/OVERHEATING FOR NOWimage.jpg

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
I haven’t used coolant in this truck since I last saw Nicole in like june when my heater hose was still leaking it’s what caused it to crack, i was running a leaking heater hose for about a week while waiting for a new one and i overheated once really badly No head gasket blown just a cracked radiator tank
Be ready to cough up some big bucks, running just water in the radiator Is going to corrode the internal transmission cooler and get coolant in the transmission.

Some of theses suvs have two internal coolers. One for the transmission and one for the motor oil.

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be clear, the nut on the fan clutch is right-hand thread. There are air chisel marks on mine where some uneducated person tried to remove it in the wrong direction.
Yep righty loosey mines just frozen on

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be ready to cough up some big bucks, running just water in the radiator Is going to corrode the internal transmission cooler and get coolant in the transmission.

Some of theses suvs have two internal coolers. One for the transmission and one for the motor oil.
Oh I know only one I’m not able to change myself is the trans cooler if I have one

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. California so any labor to remove and repair is far more expensive than just replacing.
I don’t do any long distance trips and I have unlimited distance AAA also if I don’t overfill the tank it doesn’t leak. however I still need to fix the pinhole just for piece of mind and I’m gonna add more filler plastic this is just to fill a time gap between a full cooling system minus water pump. also my fan clutch nut is frozen I have one that runs off the serpentine belt which needs to be taken off by a skilled mechanic I tried to replace the radiator in the first place but the thing stopping it from coming out is stuck because I don’t have a air hammer. NO MORE LOW COOLANT LIGHT/OVERHEATING FOR NOWView attachment 388342
For the fan nut, put a large c clamp or c clamp vise grips on the pulley, clamping it to the engine. There’s one spot where you can do that. Then use a big breaker bar or breaker bar with a pipe over the end. That nut will come off as long as you turn in clockwise, reverse threads. Or an air hammer is $20 at Harbor Freight, just need a compressor or friend with one. Don’t let that stop you from replacing the radiator. Like was mentioned, if the internal trans cooler starts leaking, the fluids will mix and your trans will be destroyed almost immediately. There’s a few pics of using the clamp in this thread I linked.

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the fan nut, put a large c clamp or c clamp vise grips on the pulley, clamping it to the engine. There’s one spot where you can do that. Then use a big breaker bar or breaker bar with a pipe over the end. That nut will come off as long as you turn in clockwise, reverse threads. Or an air hammer is $20 at Harbor Freight, just need a compressor or friend with one. Don’t let that stop you from replacing the radiator. Like was mentioned, if the internal trans cooler starts leaking, the fluids will mix and your trans will be destroyed almost immediately. There’s a few pics of using the clamp in this thread I linked.
I don’t know what radiator to get I don’t want a Chinese pile of junk one but i don’t wanna swap in a used one I finally budgeted out the money for a new radiator just need to find which one to get Any idea which one to get?

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can spend like 300 bucks and worst case scenario credit card at the only mechanic I trust to touch my precious

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Hmmm. Pretty sure my AC Delco water pump had right-hand threads for the fan clutch. Right-tighty, lefty-loosey. Or am I wrong?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE