Well i found the source of my coolant leak (big crack)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you guys have a coolant leak that you can’t find but is leaking fast remove the plastic cover with the belt diagram and pull back the fabric and inspect the radiator mine was on the drivers side im gonna try and putty it but if that doesn’t fix it I’m gonna need a new radiator
E28E684A-13A4-48CA-8493-7D265D61CB77.jpeg

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep that’s where these radiators crack. I’m afraid it’s time for a new radiator, I’ve never seen one hold pressure after the plastic side tank cracks.
I actually repair very similar high pressure tanks at work I’m gonna give it a shot with some plastic welding and with the calcium buildup you can tell it’s been happening for months so at worst I go a little more time with a cracked radiator, image : high pressure tank that holds enough pressure to shoot it’s contents like a volcano if released all at once somewhere in the neighborhood upon reverse vacuum 200 psi . It’s sealed with water weld by jb weld by the seal the seal is sealed to the lid by that stuff and silicone from GE.

Attachments

• 360535B4-541B-460A-8A6E-803EF4769050.jpeg
    360535B4-541B-460A-8A6E-803EF4769050.jpeg
    237.8 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to use JB Weld to patch one long enough to drive home 500 miles from Big Bend. I left the pressure cap off the resevior the whole time. Summit had a Cold Case at my door 2 days after I ordered it.
Did you do any form of plastic welding beneath the JB weld? If not I may have some life in this radiator.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me it’s not worth fixing it considering the possibility of leaving you stranded. If one side failed, the other probably isn’t far behind. Plus it’s probably restricted on the interior. But of course it’s your decision and your money in the end. Good luck sir.

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me it’s not worth fixing it considering the possibility of leaving you stranded. If one side failed, the other probably isn’t far behind. Plus it’s probably restricted on the interior. But of course it’s your decision and your money in the end. Good luck sir.
I don’t travel out of the area so I am lucky, it’s more to get me through to buy a new radiator so I can use coolant that won’t rust my cooling components its like $40 a day worth of coolant I leak I also have AAA towing unlimited distance so I can gamble on a janky fix lmaoooooo it’s just gotta last like 2 tanks of gas I was starting to think I had a blown head gasket at least I know the source of the leak now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh