2013 Escalade ESV Next BIG adventure: Cooling system refresh, Big 3 Electrical upgrade, Reseal intake, and VLOM mod...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True enough.
This was a good repair and a good thread.
I am referring more to my penchant for making a plan/goal for something, and then going beyond it.
This is just how I do things.
I spend stupid money on my hobby. Not because it makes sense, but because it makes me happy. I have spent ridiculous money on old garden tractors because I can.
I like something to be as mechanically sound as I can reasonably(and sometimes unreasonably) get it.

Like you said, 'peace of mind.'

I write posts like this because I have been the newbie looking for information many times over. And often, the service manuals don't have the little tips and tricks that make a job doable.

I try to post what I learn.

Thanks!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am referring more to my penchant for making a plan/goal for something, and then going beyond it.
This is just how I do things.

-Shot-iPhone-Xs-Max-2020-04-01-at-07.05.16-900x600.png

I write posts like this because I have been the newbie looking for information many times over. And often, the service manuals don't have the little tips and tricks that make a job doable.

I try to post what I learn.

100%. I've joined forums for every vehicle and project I've owned/been involved with. Started at the bottom asking all the questions and learned my way up many times over. Being able to pay it forward is the main point of why I take the time to photo document and write the detailed snooze fests in my build thread and other threads.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 417294

100%. I've joined forums for every vehicle and project I've owned/been involved with. Started at the bottom asking all the questions and learned my way up many times over. Being able to pay it forward is the main point of why I take the time to photo document and write the detailed snooze fests in my build thread and other threads.
Yep. That is what makes forums worth it to me.
Also, I am pretty sure it was your thread(s) that gave me the info I needed to go the GM 220A alternator route. :cool:
Thanks!

Super-informative and entertaining thread! Thanks for documenting all of your work, and I appreciate the lessons you've shown. You've reached over-achiever status in my book. Keep it up!
Thank you for the kind words!

Don't worry, this is not the last you have seen of my Escalade...:gr_grin:

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@skpyle
verify that after installing new the cam and crank position sensors that the ecm etc does NOT need to be told to play nice with these new parts??

I bought new cam & crank position sensors yrs ago but haven't installed them because I was led to believe I would need a Tech2 or whatever it takes to make them play nice.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@skpyle
verify that after installing new the cam and crank position sensors that the ecm etc does NOT need to be told to play nice with these new parts??

I bought new cam & crank position sensors yrs ago but haven't installed them because I was led to believe I would need a Tech2 or whatever it takes to make them play nice.
That is the ‘crank-cam variation’ procedure.
Service manual requires this procedure be done when either is replaced.

I did the procedure after the initial test drive, because I forgot.
I didn’t do it initially because you have to accelerate to WOT, with the Tech 2 cutting fuel just past 4000RPM.
I didn’t want to do that on a cold engine.

However, the engine ran fine and the MIL never illuminated on the short test drive.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@skpyle

GM outlines a procedure for performing the CASE relearn without initiation from a Tech2 or other capable scan tool. I've found it before. But, generally, if there's no DTC set, then the PCM sees no error with what the CKP is saying in relation to the CMP. Especially with a VVT engine, things have to be very accurate. The PCM isn't gonna have a wide tolerance here.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM outlines a procedure for performing the CASE relearn without initiation from a Tech2 or other capable scan tool. I've found it before. But, generally, if there's no DTC set, then the PCM sees no error with what the CKP is saying in relation to the CMP. Especially with a VVT engine, things have to be very accurate. The PCM isn't gonna have a wide tolerance here.
So was that a Maybe or Maybe Not?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So was that a Maybe or Maybe Not?

Maybe or maybe not what? That you'd need to perform the CASE relearn? I'd say its a possibility, but a strong chance that it won't be needed. I'd replace one- either the CKP or CMP and drive it. If no issues, replace the other and drive again. If no issues, you should be good.

I have terrible memory, but I had to perform the relearn a few months ago. I was doing something with HPT- flashing a tune or resetting something... I don't remember. Anyway, something happened after that. I don't remember if the engine wouldn't start or it started but had multiple misfires and the accompanying DTCs. Since I had HPT connected, I read the codes and saw something like "no CKP signal" in the list. Doubting that what I had just done killed the CKP sensor, I initiated the CASE relearn and all was well. Maybe it was when I was switching it from the virtual to physical alcohol sensor?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts