Head gasket question/advice (05 Tahoe 4.8)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I need advice for the specific situation I’m in. This might be a bit long so I apologize for that.

I have a 2005 Tahoe with a 4.8 and 162k. I’ve had the truck for about 3 years but it was my mom’s before that since about 08. Anyway, before I owned it (around 2017 and about 120k) there was a problem with coolant in the oil and combustion chamber that my dad (a Honda mechanic) attributed to the Castech head issue. He was planning to sell the truck at that time so he used some sort of stop leak, which has held to this day.

I’m planning on pulling the motor to replace a RMS (don’t have access to a lift) and do a few other odds and ends and wanted to put a permanent fix on this issue. After looking I see my heads are 862s, and I pulled a valve cover and couldn’t find the Castech logo anywhere on the head. Upper valve train was pretty clean too. Based on the fact that I can’t see the Castech logo, I’m thinking these are non Castech heads. I’ve read about a lot of Castech head issues and have also never heard of that leading to coolant in the combustion chamber, just the oil. Both of these lead me to think it was likely a head gasket failure instead of a head, but I’m not sure.

While the engine is out I’d like to replace the head gaskets & intake gasket, as well as the RMS. My dad suggests though that at this point if I’m putting on head gaskets I should get the motor rebuilt. The truck runs great and doesn’t use much oil at all. I’m unsure.

Appreciate if you read all that. Any advice is appreciated. Does this sound like the Castech issue? What would you all do in this situation?

Thanks,

Cody

The Castech logo can't be seen unless you remove the rocker pedestal rail. Regardless, if the oil didn't have the telltale yellow/cream/milkshake stuff or black and sludgy (from the moisture being steamed out of it but other coolant chemicals remaining), then your coolant and oil aren't mixing. You have to be sure of what you're looking at, though. Ask your dad to clarify if coolant was, in fact, in the oil.

Castech or not, it could be a head or block with a defect and crack. Or a failed head gasket. Maybe the owner prior to your mom somehow ran it hot and warped the head slightly or the head gasket failed and it was such a small enough breach that the stop leak was able to patch it. GM has their own "stop leak" tablets for the cooling system that they've designated as a viable repair. As far as rebuilding at only 162K, I don't see why it'd need that if the oil didn't have water in it and if the oil pressure is good/stable. I've replaced Castech heads on a 182K-mile 5.3 that was so sludged up from coolant mixing that it clogged the pickup tube and lost oil pressure. It was brother's truck and it came to me with collapsed and clacking lifters. Surely had bearing wear, but no scoring. Thoroughly cleaned it out, slapped some used 799s on it as I received them from a FB Marketplace find, replaced the usuals with the only upgrade being a high volume oil pump (with stock pressure relief spring) and sent it. Almost 5 years and 50K miles later, it's still towing a trailer with 4-door RZR, dirt bikes and 4-wheelers to his camp three hours away and back.

If yours is or was just slowly burning off the coolant through a combustion chamber, then the engine's bearings and rings should be in great shape with another 160K+ miles left in it if it hasn't been beat on. I'd have the heads checked for cracks and cleaned (including a cleaning pass to resurface them) with new valve seals and lap in the valves. While they're off, closely inspect the block for cracks. Pay extra close attention to the head gasket when you disassemble it for evidence of failure and patching from the stop leak.

Or, as @rockola1971 and @wjburken suggested, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The RMS job doesn't really have any connection with a head job. You can R/R the heads with the engine in the truck if you need to dive into that down the road. It's kind of a "do everything or just do what it needs" thing that you'd have to determine based on your resources and other goals (all new gaskets, if you're dead-set on cracking it open for the coolant thing along with the RMS job, etc.).

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
OP
OP
cjmcglaughlin

cjmcglaughlin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It is a daily but I can borrow another vehicle if I needed to. Thinking for now I’m going to look into pulling the transmission instead. The cooling system seems happy for now and I really don’t want to mess with it, until a possible rebuild hopefully farther in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts