Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Voice Navigation Commands. Onstar Generation 8 Module has a limited capability of calling up a stored destination (if a voice tag has been saved) and setting it as a destination or adding it as a waypoint. Onstar Generation 9 introduced in 2010 and refined further for the 2011s introduced the connectivity with the phone app and allows one to verbally select a destination that was not already saved unlike the earlier version and it was not as finicky with the exact wording used either.

I added voice tags today to our saved destinations so that they can be set on the fly while moving. Had to keep busy and feel productive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, earlier in the year we went to install the 2-Way Advanced Remote Start GM accessory and it was a bust, kept getting a failed to program message. Thought it was because I was using a hodge podge of part numbers.

A few weeks ago someone was selling the exact part number for my truck so I grabbed it up. My daughter and I did the installation of the antenna and swapped out the modules, and all the rest, and got the same programming errors.

So is it my VCI module or does GM need to tweak the program to accept my truck? We took pictures of the error messages this time, I'll post them for posterity when my daughter emails them to me. I'll call GM on my next day off.

Also did the semi-annual spare tire drop, it was at 20 psi and a hose to the purge or vent valve is about rotted away, causing those pesky CELs for the P0442 or whatever. I'm thinking hard about throwing that stuff in the trash like we used to do in the old days and having BB turn it off in the tune. Any reason I should pay a couple or three hundred bucks to keep it?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...a hose to the purge or vent valve is about rotted away, causing those pesky CELs for the P0442 or whatever. I'm thinking hard about throwing that stuff in the trash like we used to do in the old days and having BB turn it off in the tune. Any reason I should pay a couple or three hundred bucks to keep it?

If I didn't park in a shop or garage, I would've trashed all that crap in favor of some sort of breather filter on the tank and had the functions tuned out. Parking in an enclosed space is the ONLY reason I keep mine.

Although, you may be able to compromise: Could you have the codes for it turned off but keep it as functional as it currently is? Like, keep the charcoal canister and purge valve on the intake manifold functioning so it still captures and burns off the fumes, but won't throw codes if there's a leak?

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I didn't park in a shop or garage, I would've trashed all that crap in favor of some sort of breather filter on the tank and had the functions tuned out. Parking in an enclosed space is the ONLY reason I keep mine.

Although, you may be able to compromise: Could you have the codes for it turned off but keep it as functional as it currently is? Like, keep the charcoal canister and purge valve on the intake manifold functioning so it still captures and burns off the fumes, but won't throw codes if there's a leak?

Yes, BB will do that too. I did not find out if it kills the remote start still. Is it just turning the light off and the code is still there or removing those lines of computer code from the computer or turning it off?

Reaction score
My street rod doesn't have a charcoal canister or tank purge crap on it and I don't get any fumes in the garage. It does have a vent hose with an in-line carb style fuel filter lying on the top front edge of the tank going to some more hose looped on the side of the tank with an aluminum vent valve on the end of it.

It's carbed, no fuel injection so not sure if that makes a difference, but if I remember correctly, I had some late 70s and early 80s carbed cars that had charcoal cannisters

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
James, not sure if this is apples to apples with remote start but I had to replace my memory control module and the only place I can get it programmed to my rig is the dealer.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, BB will do that too. I did not find out if it kills the remote start still. Is it just turning the light off and the code is still there or removing those lines of computer code from the computer or turning it off?

I know either can be done on a vehicle, depending on the system, but I don't know if it can be done to the EVAP system in particular. Definitely a BB question.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20201220 - U-Haul at Cracker Barrel.jpeg 207 mile round trip with 6 x 12 U-Haul trailer. Approximate weight going up was 9,300 pounds GCW, burning Mobil 93 octane at 0% alcohol content. Speed was 71 mph both ways. No Tow/Haul mode. 14.5 MPG going up, 14.0 MPG coming back loaded at about 10,200 pounds GCW.

Transmission temp going up got down to 156 and saw a high of 183 in city driving for about seven miles including crossing over the Hubert Humphrey Bridge. On the return run the temperature was the same for most of the way, the temp of the trans stayed in the low 160s.

20201220_102824.jpg 20201220_102836.jpg

We killed the battery yet again the day before and the Battery Minder brought it back to life again! As you can see, the alternator didn't have a lot of work to do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone want to guess which of these is the source of the P0442?

20201213_164456.jpg

As luck would have it, we forgot some important things and had to run back up to Merritt Island last night and repeat the trip without the trailer this time. Truck was at about 6300 pounds and average speed was 75 mph:

20201221_213704.jpg

The truck has only done better, one time. Haven't had a chance to see what the alky content was.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157