Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's finally done!

The GM 2-Way Advanced Remote Start is working! Whew! Glad it's over.

Spent about 45 minutes on the phone with ACDelco today and finally the engineers discovered that I had to use pass-thru programming to get it to work. Not the pass-thru option under the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver. I put a little table and chair next to the truck, had the battery on the tender and hooked up the laptop to shore power and had the Tech-2 hooked up to the truck and laptop, both sitting on the table. Of course I misunderstood what the lady told me and programmed every which way but right, but finally in the waning light with mosquitos so large they had tail numbers flying around us, I got it right. The menu options on the DIC changed some, have to use the Tech-2 to program the remotes now, which was easy peasy. Of course someone used our last two 9 volt batteries which necessitated a run to pick up another so we could relearn the tires again.

My daughter did a function test, the standard remote worked up to four houses away, the 2-Way remote was still working at the end of the block, about 1000 feet away. I went to start the truck but even on the tender I managed to kill the battery. It has been up to 100% but has been hanging around 70% with a low just now of 66%. I think it's time for a new one; works fine when charged up but seems to have no reserve capacity anymore.

I told my daughter that she is probably the only non-GM employee and the first and only woman, to install any of these GM accessories that previously necessitated a trip to the dealer for programming. She's done all three now, with Dad! Good practice for when the GMC 6.2 Sierra arrives soon.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just came back from a test run, tire pressures are reporting on the DIC and Remote now. Using the Tech-2 in Charging Info in the BCM, it said that the start of charge for the battery was low, first time I've ever seen that. It was at 70%, kinda normal, spent three years at 76%.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just came back from a test run, tire pressures are reporting on the DIC and Remote now. Using the Tech-2 in Charging Info in the BCM, it said that the start of charge for the battery was low, first time I've ever seen that. It was at 70%, kinda normal, spent three years at 76%.

What do you have in mind for a replacement?

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you have in mind for a replacement?

Another AC Delco battery, this time a 48HPG. It has slightly more cranking amps and has a higher reserve capacity of 135 minutes over 110 and a higher discharge capacity, 80 Amps versus 70. It weighs 8.4 pounds more, going to reduce our cargo and towing capacity! LOL

So, you're just gonna sneak this little bombshell in with no further details or have I missed something? o_O;)

I've been saving to buy a Denali for my wife and my daughter has her sights on getting the 6.2 Sierra and has been saving up for it for some time now. They are rare as hens teeth, so we'll have to strike fast once one turns up. There are lots of 6.2s with 3.42 gears but very few with the NHT package which use the 14-bolt axle, disc brakes out back and 3.73 gears. They tow over 10,000 pounds. Like her Dad, she's very specific on the options and features she wants it to have too! And it must be under 100K miles! LOL

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Merry Christmas!

Well, I finally quit kicking the can down the road, didn't want the wife and kids to get stuck on my account so the battery was replaced today.

The ACDelco Professional Silver series battery, a 48PS, was manufactured in August of 2016 and installed in December of that year. It is listed as a 30 month battery by ACDelco; meaning free replacement if it fails inside of 30 months.

It endured several discharges including one that drained it to less than 6 volts. All of that is on these pages. In the end, the battery served for 48 months, 48,658 miles and 1,697 engine hours. It cost $129.46.

The new battery is an AC Delco Professional Gold, a 48HPG and is a 42 month battery. It was manufactured this month and cost $173.99.

20201225_121120.jpg 20201225_121123.jpg 20201225_121137.jpg

upload_2020-12-25_20-50-17.png

These are the three that GM recommends for our trucks, they are the most compatible with our charging system. I chose this one for it's higher reserve capacity, something the 48PS was always light on. I do not need the higher cranking amps that the 48PG affords. When I was a kid and well into adulthood, we always put 900+ CCA batteries in our cars, even the little V6s!

During installation, there was a light build up of crud on the bracket that goes down the side of the battery at its base where the bolt goes through. It was wet here as well. We wiped out the battery tray with a cloth and cleaned the bracket and oiled it some. Then put anti-seize compound on all seven bolts and one of the two nuts for the battery studs. No corrosion on the ends or wires. O'Reilly Auto Parts had recently received it and I put it on the tender for the day as it was around 12.7 volts at 50 degrees.

So for those who know how batteries are made and operate, what accounts for the weight differences between these three and how does the 48PG have more cranking amps and less reserve capacity than the 48HPG? Is it the thickness or number of plates?

So, will this one make it to 60 months?

FrankU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Wuhan Flu has made its appearance at our home. All of us are experiencing its symptoms, two have been officially confirmed as having it, the rest will get their results in the next day or two. It's a real doozy fellas.

Oh boy it's a very rough ride for some. And easy on others.Take care.

Thank China

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh