Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Since the recording of data began and the production of statistics I've always had a discrepancy between fuel pumped and fuel used. Now I'm pretty sure it's been figured out.

The truck has been running 3 separate fuels since October 2017. Each fuel has an almost exact 8% difference between pumped and used. After running the numbers, it has to be that the remote starts do not figure into the DIC numbers. 8% difference between all fuel types and 1.6 GPH which would make sense as the motor runs rich to get up to temp quickly. 99% of my starts are via the remote start feature and by the time we board the truck, it's either about to shut off, just shut off or has been restarted.

View attachment 224083

Well, GPH is not accurate, it's the result of dividing the difference into the number of tanks, it's the average amount of fuel "lost" per tank which would mean it's the average amount of fuel used during remote starts for each tank of gas. So that's $4.11, $3.61 and $5.31 per tank to do remote starts.

Hmm. I don't have remote start, yet my fuel used NEVER owns up to how much I have to pump in. I think it got more accurate with e85, but I'll need to look back to check that.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at numbers...

While digesting a delicious breakfast, I sat at my desk and let my brain wander and answer some questions from the forum here. Then I wondered, what is the fuel mileage averages per alcohol contents? So I pulled the data and split it into 3 categories; Gasoline with an alcohol content anywhere from 0-15% and then Ethanol with an alcohol content from 16-30% and Ethanol with an alcohol content anywhere from 51-80%.

So there are 14 tanks of fuel where the alcohol content was from 0% to 14%. All were 93 octane save for 2 that were E30 which is 87 mixed with E85.

Then we have 20 tanks of fuel where the alcohol content was from 16% to 26%. All were E30.

Finally, we have 26 tanks of fuel where the alcohol content was from 56% to 80%. All were E85.

Gasoline MPG average = 15.00
E30 MPG average = 15.29
E85 MPG average = 12.06

Oh, two disclaimers! I pulled the tank that my wife drove and all the tanks where the truck towed. This also does not account for remote start fuel usage.

I'm really excited about that new oil and looking forward to pulling some numbers this afternoon and posting about it.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tires...

Tires went 8200 miles before rotation, usually do them between 3K and 5K. Since new, they have about 27,500 miles on them now. Original tread depth was 15/32. Current tread depth is 10/32 on the outside of all and 9/32 on the inside of all. Slightly over-inflated. Will drop the air pressure from 49 psi to 47 psi. Two tires have been patched and now a third has a big old screw sticking out of the tread again! I know where that happened, had to drive out of the lane the other day and feared picking up debris. Darn it!

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Observations on that new oil.

It's been about 1000 miles now. Actual mpg numbers aren't great but we have been doing A LOT of idling, like hours and hours while my wife runs into the store for "just on thing" and comes out 10 songs and a nap later. Average speed is down 3 mph from the norm. GPH on last 3 tanks averaged 1.69 with a 1.58 low.

This last tank, we idled for about 5 hours and then ran over to Orlando and then Daytona Beach. There, we drove at least 40-50 miles up and down the beach with all 4 wheels engaged at 10 mph or less. On the first day, the sand was soft and ran 4LO a lot and on the second day we ran 4HI only for long stretches of time. In the afternoon when the tide was in, we were frequently running through surf with the truck because of all the knuckleheads sitting square in the driving lanes. Kids loved it though. Anyhow, I guess the point is, we did all that and traveled across the state and drove in 4WD on the beach for a total of 13 hours and 45 minutes and 325 miles while burning 23 gallons of E22.

Oil pressure is still a few pounds higher than before when running M1, so that is a definite plus! No more rattle on start up. I realized/remembered that my motor is not usually noisy anyways, and did not rattle after a fresh oil change with M1 until several thousand miles afterwards. Still no oil loss on either oil. Still quiet as a mouse on start up.

I would like to get some uninterrupted mileage numbers but we're too busy for that right now.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Catalytic Converter Temperature Observations:

After about an hour of idling at 650 rpms, the cat temps were 825 degrees.

About fifteen miles after running up to 1500 rpms and cruising at 60 mph the cats were still slowly cooling down when I pulled off the highway at 1268 degrees.

After about 5 minutes of cruising at 40 mph and turning 1175 rpms the temps were still slowly cooling when I turned down my drive at 1158 degrees.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re-Ordered some numbers to look at fuel economy not so much based on what kind of fuel we used, but rather, what the alcohol content was. The numbers in white at the bottom of each section are how many tanks of fuel were completed. Obviously, the E30 Special is an overlap but shows the best fuel economy in that percentage range of alcohol content. These numbers include the time when the cats were bad and all towing if they fell into these categories. Lower than 4 tanks were not presented here.

upload_2019-6-21_2-1-14.png

I'd also like to see the correlation between the average speed and average mpg per tank. We don't run straight gasoline much anymore due to its cost and poor economy. Apparently, when we did, we didn't drive that fast either! There was a 3 tank consecutive average of over 15 mpg right after the cats and y-pipe were replaced last year.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Refueled a few days ago and again today, idiot light on for about an hour each time. Filled up in West Palm at a Chevron that is selling 93 way less than anyone else, paid $2.979 per gallon with a 5% alcohol content.

Made three trips down to Palm Beach County on the highway and idled over an hour and she still delivered 17.33 MPG! That's even better than that one day trip to Marathon last year. In addition, the truck also surpassed its longest recorded distance traveled yet on a tank of fuel. The last record was 404 miles, this time it was 441.9 miles. Average speed for that entire tank was 41.31 MPH and cost wise it worked out to seventeen cents a mile.

I botched the refueling today and wound up with an alcohol content of just 15% instead of my target of 20% but did see the mileage at 70 mph a little higher than normal, 18.4 MPG.

Man o' man it was hot in Palm Beach County this morning, 99 on the highway but still 95 up here in Saint Lucie County.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a howling going on and I cannot tell if it is the front tires or the front differential. At slow speeds there is a rhythmic whomp whomp whomp that is imperceptable above 45-50 mph but there is noise being made at highway speeds. My wife and kids hear nothing out of the ordinary, and I'm the one going deaf!

My ACs clutch is making noise constant now, not the bearing, just when the clutch engages. Should be an easy fix when my repair money gets funded again. Right now its gone to bills and college, our next daughter is off to school soon away from home.

I hope that noise is the tires and not the axle, not in physical or monetary shape to tackle that one right now. One Timken hub has about 23K on it now and the other just over 8K.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
There's a howling going on and I cannot tell if it is the front tires or the front differential. At slow speeds there is a rhythmic whomp whomp whomp that is imperceptable above 45-50 mph but there is noise being made at highway speeds. My wife and kids hear nothing out of the ordinary, and I'm the one going deaf!

My ACs clutch is making noise constant now, not the bearing, just when the clutch engages. Should be an easy fix when my repair money gets funded again. Right now its gone to bills and college, our next daughter is off to school soon away from home.

I hope that noise is the tires and not the axle, not in physical or monetary shape to tackle that one right now. One Timken hub has about 23K on it now and the other just over 8K.
Sounds like it could be a tire out of round--goes away or lessens as you speed up.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it could be a tire out of round--goes away or lessens as you speed up.

But she rides smooth as a baby's bottom; most times. Boy, this morning I was in an old neighborhood and their roads were like washboards! Seemed like they hadn't been resurfaced or oiled in decades, feel sorry for those folks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Butterfly7