Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
But she rides smooth as a baby's bottom; most times. Boy, this morning I was in an old neighborhood and their roads were like washboards! Seemed like they hadn't been resurfaced or oiled in decades, feel sorry for those folks!
You oil a road? Never heard that before, and I used to work for the state highway dept.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You oil a road? Never heard that before, and I used to work for the state highway dept.

Sometimes, instead of laying new asphalt, they'll just lay down tar (oil). Apparently it has other meanings with regards to road construction as well, I just googled and saw a whole bunch of stuff.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes, instead of laying new asphalt, they'll just lay down tar (oil). Apparently it has other meanings with regards to road construction as well, I just googled and saw a whole bunch of stuff.

Here in Iowa, it is very common for cities to put down a layer of hot tar and then spread a layer of rock chips on it. Its a lot like when they seal an asphalt parking lot, but then they put crushed gravel on top.

Always hated when they did it in front of my our house as not only did you got to smell the hot tar, then you got to deal with the dust from the rock chips, then you also had to deal with the rocks getting kicked up and some tar coming with it and then I was the one out there with a rag and a can of paint thinner or gasoline getting the tar off the parents car.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re-Ordered some numbers to look at fuel economy not so much based on what kind of fuel we used, but rather, what the alcohol content was. The numbers in white at the bottom of each section are how many tanks of fuel were completed. Obviously, the E30 Special is an overlap but shows the best fuel economy in that percentage range of alcohol content. These numbers include the time when the cats were bad and all towing if they fell into these categories. Lower than 4 tanks were not presented here.

View attachment 225311

I'd also like to see the correlation between the average speed and average mpg per tank. We don't run straight gasoline much anymore due to its cost and poor economy. Apparently, when we did, we didn't drive that fast either! There was a 3 tank consecutive average of over 15 mpg right after the cats and y-pipe were replaced last year.
what is the Cost per mile not the GPH

the cost per mile matters more then the GPH.. as the cost per mile is what you are actually paying

0.15596¢/per mile @3.899gallon current price at chevron for 91 octane 22/25MPG
0.19237¢/per mile @3.559gallon Current price at the cheapest station Arco/BP 87 octane 16/18.5MPG ($4.80 equivalent to using 91 octane at chevron/mobil fuel station)

I much rather spend $3.89 up front then spend $4.80 on 87 octane for garbage gas

Gas would have to get to 3.099/Gallon for 87 for it to break even on the MPG using 87 octane

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm. I don't have remote start, yet my fuel used NEVER owns up to how much I have to pump in. I think it got more accurate with e85, but I'll need to look back to check that.

happened to my grandpa tell he got a cap lock he was only getting 5MPG in his 2006 5.3 GMT800 truck . :O We have just filled it up and it went to less then 1/4 tank in less then a week with only 100 miles on it they stole about 10 gallons or so

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
happened to my grandpa tell he got a cap lock he was only getting 5MPG in his 2006 5.3 GMT800 truck . :O We have just filled it up and it went to less then 1/4 tank in less then a week with only 100 miles on it they stole about 10 gallons or so

When I was a kid, I remember my uncle was bragging about how much better MPG he got than my dad with the same basic truck. He was always telling him about all the upgrades and adjustments he was making and how they were improving his mileage. Then one day he said he was going to have to do some major work on the motor because it went south on him and was using a lot more gas. Turns out my dad had been going over to his house after work every other night or so and put a gallon or two of gas in his tank. When he stopped doing that, is when my uncle said his motor was using too much gas.

He was one sort of pissed off when my dad told him what he was doing. When my mom asked my dad if that was worth all the time and money for gas, dad's response was "Absolutely!"

Reaction score
We all just need to get a magnetic fuel saver and get 15% better mileage

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was a kid, I remember my uncle was bragging about how much better MPG he got than my dad with the same basic truck. He was always telling him about all the upgrades and adjustments he was making and how they were improving his mileage. Then one day he said he was going to have to do some major work on the motor because it went south on him and was using a lot more gas. Turns out my dad had been going over to his house after work every other night or so and put a gallon or two of gas in his tank. When he stopped doing that, is when my uncle said his motor was using too much gas.

He was one sort of pissed off when my dad told him what he was doing. When my mom asked my dad if that was worth all the time and money for gas, dad's response was "Absolutely!"
My dad did the same thing to a new VW owner/coworker when they hit the market in the 60’s. After a week, they stopped adding gas and the guy flipped out when he ran out early...

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is the Cost per mile not the GPH

the cost per mile matters more then the GPH.. as the cost per mile is what you are actually paying

I usually comment more on CPM compared with GPH. In the instance you referenced, I did not focus on price because the alcohol content came from a variety of fuels with wildly differing prices.

Since the switch to ACDelco's engine oil and the drag reduction clips on the front brakes, the truck's fuel economy has been awesome for what she is, 93 octane gasoline costing between seventeen and eighteen cents per mile, getting over 16 mpg on a tank of fuel, usually Chevron 93 or Mobil 93 with an alcohol content of 5%.

Went to Sunoco and took on E30 the other night to try it again. Know what the alcohol content was? 4%!!!! Basically 87 octane! Yuck! The motor is tuned for 93 so I have to baby it until empty. Was going to drop it down six or seven gallons and put E85 in it but was too busy and figure I'll just run one or the other for a time, kinda miss straight E85 but I've needed the range between fills with 93 and several stations have had good prices on it too.

My previous average for running gasoline was twenty-three cents a mile and now we're spending .17-.18. Prices have come down a little but the truck has gotten more efficient with that oil and those drag reduction clips. I wonder where'd she be with highway tires and not these KO2s???