New here!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJ93

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have been lurking on the forums for a few weeks in preparation of purchasing a Suburban from a family member. I just picked it up last night and decided to make an account!

It is a 2001 Suburban, with 110,000 miles, 4x4. I couldn't pass up the price. I purchased from the original owner (a family member) who used it mainly to transport the family on vacations and such. It has some rust but nothing I can't fix (properly of course). It was ordered with 4.10 gears (which were rebuilt a few years ago) which makes it a bit peppier than I would have thought (coming from a Ford Focus lol). Previous owner said it gets an average of 12 mpg but he did mainly city driving.

I have a few minor issues I need to sort out with the truck, but the first main issue is that I need to buy tires like now. It currently rides on 285/75/16's. I am unsure if I want to replace them with the same size or go down a size to 265/70/16's to save a bit of cash. I'm curious if going down a size would affect the fuel mileage at all considering the 4.10 gears. The truck originally came with 245's from the factory. I drive mainly rural highways and interstates where traffic cruises around 75-80mph, and I take road trips often. I also tow a 24 foot camper once in a while (somewhere around 4,000 pounds I believe) as well.

I know these trucks don't specialize in fuel economy, but an extra 1 or 2mpg adds up quick lol. If you were in my situation, would you get the 285's or the 265's? Also, would it be worth getting LT tires? I'm not used to all of the options available lol.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think 285s are all that necessary. I'd get the factory size. If you want something wider, get whatever would have the same overall diameter as the factory size or a hair taller if that's how it calculates out. I highly recommend LT tires. My brother just bought some LT all-terrains for his '05 Sierra crew cab 4WD. He doesn't do any really heavy hauling, just a 14' tandem axle for 2-3 four-wheelers and camping equipment. The insurance of stronger sidewalls when towing and going off road at the camp is well worth the extra expense. IIRC, the LT tires he got were only about $20 more per tire than the P-rated version of that same tire.

You may gain that 1-2 MPG just by having a more reasonable width tire on there.

OP
OP
JJ93

JJ93

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't think 285s are all that necessary. I'd get the factory size. If you want something wider, get whatever would have the same overall diameter as the factory size or a hair taller if that's how it calculates out. I highly recommend LT tires. My brother just bought some LT all-terrains for his '05 Sierra crew cab 4WD. He doesn't do any really heavy hauling, just a 14' tandem axle for 2-3 four-wheelers and camping equipment. The insurance of stronger sidewalls when towing and going off road at the camp is well worth the extra expense. IIRC, the LT tires he got were only about $20 more per tire than the P-rated version of that same tire.

You may gain that 1-2 MPG just by having a more reasonable width tire on there.

Great info, thank you! I'll probably look at some LT 265/70r16's then. I do feel like the 285's that are on there make it a little slower off the line than it should be, and I'd like to have the speedometer a little more accurate. You have convinced me on getting LT tires, I really don't want to worry about blowing a tire while towing on Michigan's infamous pothole-riddled roads lol

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach&NYC Jake!

OP
OP
JJ93

JJ93

TYF Newbie
Reaction score