Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://musclecarcity.net/

Took the family to Muscle Car City then to watch the sunset on Bonita Beach then BBQ dinner and then back across the state to home. Earlier they watched the sunrise from the east coast. Oh and what trip would be complete without a trip to Krispy Kreme Donuts and a run through the ghetto?

Many of the same cars Treworgy had in 2008 when we visited last were still there along with many new ones. I did not know that Chevrolet made only 74 Carryall Suburbans in 1935 and this museum had two of them! The girls loved it back then but even more today as now one of them is driving and the other about to. They are muscle car fans through and through like their Dad.

Topped off with E30 and tried to join the 600+ club and failed. For some reason the range would not update after resetting the mpg and trip meter and only went up to 469 miles when we were capable of over 600 miles at 40-45 mph. I didn't hang around to figure it out, but got up to speed and made tracks for the west coast of Florida. Started out getting 21 mpg, then 20 mpg and after passing through Okeechobee City she went down into the nineteens.

A little ways after Arcadia and to Punta Gorda and through Fort Myers to Bonita Springs, back to Fort Myers was all stop and go traffic for about 125 miles. Mileage after this dropped into the low 17s and alcohol content was 22%. For some reason I could not get it back. Took a different route home, 80 to 78 then 98, then 714 and I-95 back into Port Saint Lucie. Pulled into the driveway at 17.5 MPG for 300+ miles with over a hundred left.

Should have been getting 20 MPG or thereabouts on the way home as the speeds were slower and it was cooler out. Was windier during the day. LTFTs on the return at 60 or 66 mph were -4% on both sides.

Still need to replace the lazy O2 sensor, got one done but have to remove the front propeller as GM calls it to gain enough room to swing a wrench. Old can of PB Blaster hit the deck and busted so we bought another and this week plan to soak them bolts and get it done Lord willing!

Noticed a rhythmic hum coming from the front, slow and long, almost oval shaped I'd say. Stuck the transfer case into Auto and there was not much difference. Put it into 4WD and it went away but you could hear the front differential engaged and tires sounded a little different. This was all done around 60 mph.

Last edited:
OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Refueled today from the trip on Friday. Pulled into the driveway at 17.5 MPG but then my daughter borrowed the truck and I drove it for over an hour for testing at low speed. She averaged 16.81 mpg for 395 miles with fuel to spare; idiot light never came on. Average speed was 36.57 MPH, which includes the tests below. That trip cost us sixteen cents a mile.

On the way to the filling station I took some 2-way averages which were about 5 miles each direction.

E30 @ 22% Alcohol Content

35 MPH = 22.4 MPG = 1.6 GPH = 582 Mile Range
40 MPH = 22.5 MPG = 1.8 GPH = 585
45 MPH = 21.2 MPG = 2.1 GPH = 551
50 MPH = 22.3 MPG = 2.2 GPH = 580
60 MPH = 21.4 MPG = 2.8 GPH = 556

LTFTs would often be near 10% and after a few minutes settle to about 0% on each bank.

I got a scare right after refueling, the trims were 25% at idle but no codes were thrown. They settled down after about ten minutes on the highway. The alcohol content did its usual bouncing around from 18-24% and sits at 20% right now but one can count on it to change at least once more on the next ignition cycle.

Saw a lady in a Chrysler Aspen at the Sunoco pumping some kind of FlexFuel. Didn't know they burned ethanol.

Of note, this compares with the trip we took to Key Largo last April where the truck averaged 17.01 MPG on Chevron's 93 octane gasoline. That trip burned 2.6 GPH while this one was just under 2.2 GPH. Average speeds were 44.32 MPH and 36.57 MPH respectively.

Well, that should be enough fun with numbers to give you a headache for the day!

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another tank of E30 completed.

This one delivered 15.69 MPG @ 26.82 MPH.

I had another tank of E30 that gave 14.25 @ 25.8 MPH. 3 tanks of 93 octane gasoline delivered 13.8 @ 25.7 MPH.

I have noticed that the truck coasts further so I have to give some of the credit, I think, to the new hub and brakes with the Drag Reduction Clips. Can't wait to put them on the rear pads now and see if she'll do even better.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Several days ago I opened the driver's door to adjust my seat and when closing it, the striker hit the lock. Thought it was my seatbelt, did it again. Cycled the locks and the door shut. A few minutes later I was rolling through the parking lot and again needed to open the door to adjust the seat, same thing. An hour later I went to get out of the truck and the the latch moved with little resistance. Cycled the locks, same thing. Dropped the window and tried the outside handle, no good! Fat man trapped! Drove home 40 miles, pulled into the driveway and my wife walks up and opens the door! Called my helper as I was quite tired and frustrated but she was a no show all day. Was afraid to even lock the door lest it get stuck and have to destroy panel to fix everything.

Was supposed to meet Pete and blew that, sorry man!

Needless to say the rest of the day and next morning I was not a happy camper. In the AM I went out to take the door apart to verify the part number, took some WD-40 and worked the latch and locks and could not get it to fail again. Ran down south for Easter dinner with my folks and sister and all was fine but missed church, sorry Lord.

The truck runs awesome on 18-22% Ethanol. Meaning, no full throttle knocks or pings and she's getting great gas mileage. Last 11 tanks have averaged 15.20 mpg and GPH has dropped to 1.78 on average. Incredible, especially since the MPH has gone down too. Sixteen cents a mile, versus $.20 for E85 and nearly a quarter for 93 octane gasoline.

Water stains above sun visors on both sides showed up yesterday, have to check that shark fin gasket and moonroof. Time to put new 3M sticky tape on window visors as well.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Refueled today from the trip on Friday. Pulled into the driveway at 17.5 MPG but then my daughter borrowed the truck and I drove it for over an hour for testing at low speed. She averaged 16.81 mpg for 395 miles with fuel to spare; idiot light never came on. Average speed was 36.57 MPH, which includes the tests below. That trip cost us sixteen cents a mile.

On the way to the filling station I took some 2-way averages which were about 5 miles each direction.

E30 @ 22% Alcohol Content

35 MPH = 22.4 MPG = 1.6 GPH = 582 Mile Range
40 MPH = 22.5 MPG = 1.8 GPH = 585
45 MPH = 21.2 MPG = 2.1 GPH = 551
50 MPH = 22.3 MPG = 2.2 GPH = 580
60 MPH = 21.4 MPG = 2.8 GPH = 556

LTFTs would often be near 10% and after a few minutes settle to about 0% on each bank.

I got a scare right after refueling, the trims were 25% at idle but no codes were thrown. They settled down after about ten minutes on the highway. The alcohol content did its usual bouncing around from 18-24% and sits at 20% right now but one can count on it to change at least once more on the next ignition cycle.

Saw a lady in a Chrysler Aspen at the Sunoco pumping some kind of FlexFuel. Didn't know they burned ethanol.

Of note, this compares with the trip we took to Key Largo last April where the truck averaged 17.01 MPG on Chevron's 93 octane gasoline. That trip burned 2.6 GPH while this one was just under 2.2 GPH. Average speeds were 44.32 MPH and 36.57 MPH respectively.

Well, that should be enough fun with numbers to give you a headache for the day!

so, the tech2 is connected for your road trips?

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm an engineer, so I had to do the theoretical calculation on this once out of curiosity. Turns out for our trucks about 30 mph should get you the maximum mileage. I compared mpg for three different speeds that I obtained with the DIC while driving and got very close to theoretical (black dots theoretical / red dots observed). Now this is for gasoline not E85, E85 has significantly lower energy density. Coefficient of drag and frontal cross-sectional area have a lot to do with the peak in the curve. As a comparison my '89 Trans Am could get about 30 mpg at 70 mph (much lower Cd and frontal area), and the curve is broader and flatter, but the best speed was still only about 50 mph.

upload_2019-4-25_11-11-32.png

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm an engineer, so I had to do the theoretical calculation on this once out of curiosity. Turns out for our trucks about 30 mph should get you the maximum mileage. I compared mpg for three different speeds that I obtained with the DIC while driving and got very close to theoretical (black dots theoretical / red dots observed). Now this is for gasoline not E85, E85 has significantly lower energy density. Coefficient of drag and frontal cross-sectional area have a lot to do with the peak in the curve. As a comparison my '89 Trans Am could get about 30 mpg at 70 mph (much lower Cd and frontal area), and the curve is broader and flatter, but the best speed was still only about 50 mph.

View attachment 221721

Love this kind of stuff Doug! But the math is all greek to me. I have run 2-way averages from 35 mph on up to 80. 35 mph sees the truck in 5th gear and for the most part the mileage is the same as at 40 when in 6th. There was one test where this was different, running E85 @ 71% alcohol content, the truck got 15 mpg @ 35 mph and 18 mpg @ 40 mph.

Have yet to complete my E30 tests.

What's the c/d of the Trans Am? I think our trucks is .363 which is even better than my daughter's little Kia which is .38!

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
upload_2019-4-25_14-19-25.png

These are the results from testing with my truck as configured. Also have data for 2 different E85 alcohol contents and working on E30.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sowegatahoe87