Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the last scan with the new tune, while cruising at 71 mph, the timing was 37-40 degrees and variable. IAT averaged 82 degrees.

Several weeks prior on the old tune, while cruising at 70 mph, the timing was 31-35 degrees and variable. IAT averaged 82 degrees.

I put the old tune back in but have only driven it a short distance. Should put at least an hour on it tomorrow though it will be city driving.

Any update?
I checked my last log run and at about 88 degrees and cruising at 70 I was about 39-43 degrees timing. Only have little KR on shifts or a blip here and there above 5000 rmps (may be noisy engine cause). I dont have my wideband setup on it yet to check the AFR at WOT.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully not for to long. Will be praying for you James.

Just seeing this now for some reason. Praying for you and your family. We'll be watching for ya.

Any update?

Thanks for the prayers fellas. The Lord's been good to us and we're finally back into a new house, home. No more sleeping on couches, roach motels and greasy spoons with three rowdy dogs!

Marc, after putting the old tune back in, I switched over to E85 and haven't used the Tech2 to look at that stuff. One day, while the air compressor was powered by the cigar lighter, the Tech2's screen would go white until turning it off and unplugging the compressor. Thought it was a goner. Couple days later I had time to plug it back in and it worked fine. Hope it was some interferance or anomaly!

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alrighty now, I'm back on the air, err internet. Had to leave the old house and get a new one. Have a new appreciation for my truck. She did everything she was asked to do again and did so flawlessly.

For the moves, we had to put our stuff into storage. So I borrowed a friend's new 14 foot dual axle ( https://www.snappertrailers.com/product/af-7x14ta2l-wh-r-rvbl-plus3-height-catalog/ ) , extra tall trailer (6'6" clear inside) which weighed about 2,300 pounds empty with a GVWR or 7,500. I asked him if it needed a 2" or 1-7/8" ball and he said, "Yeah". I asked him if the coupler height was 16" or 18" and he answered in the affirmative again! So we took a trip to Wally World late one night and bought a Reese 5-1/4" drop hitch ball mount and a 2" ball. Put the ball on the mount in the parking lot and went over and hooked up the trailer. No lights. Towed it anyway to his shop where we determined the problem was my truck and not the trailer. With help from Pete and another trip to Wally World, replaced a fuse and cleaned all the sand out of the electrical connector so the plug would go all the way in this time, lights!

Truck was on a mix of E85 and gasoline and the mileage from all the idling while unloading went all the way down to the sevens. Truck towed just fine, trip to storage lot was not far and speed was 45 at most. Empty, it bounced around a bit, as it did when improperly loaded! We paid better attention to loading it and the ride was great. It wasn't until the 3rd pull when the trailer was mostly empty with just my giant cast iron table saw at the ramp and a couple of guys walking into the rear did we learn that the 2" ball was too small, the trailer lifted right off the ball! I slowed down to 40 on the return trip for the last load and loaded the front a little heavy and we got through it.

Doing a little research from my phone's small screen, Reese has an adjustable hitch with a clevis for towing. 5-1/4" drop was still a little high (and only rated for 5,000 pounds!), the coupler height was 16" and the truck's receiver sits at 24". The rear of my truck with the dumb suspension (ZW7 only) sits high, so under load it should settle nice with a 6" drop. I picked up the Reese Tactical Adjustable Ball Mount (7089400) on sale at Tractor Supply but it only comes with a 2" ball. By the time I got around to ordering it from Amazon in preparation for the next move from storage to new place, they were sold out. So I had to drive down to Dania Beach's Bass Pro Shops and pick up the special 2-5/16" ball with long 1" shank. Goodness, I'm so glad I don't live in Broward County anymore, the traffic and nuts on the road were the same as Miami-Dade! Wasn't even rush hour either! Except for you Gary! LOL

As an aside, at 65 mph the truck got 15.8 mpg going south and 15.3 mpg @ 66 mph on the return leg north without resetting the DIC for the city driving to the store and parking. All E85 @ 72%. This was consistent with earlier testing.

With more help and expert packing, one of the guys also has good taste in trucks, drives a 2013 Sierra, we emptied the storage lockers and repaired to our new home in just three runs. The first was heaviest but she was perfectly loaded and level. The nose maybe a hair high. This tow was the smoothest, about 12 miles and 35 minutes. On the second, the tongue was loaded a little light and the ride was a little bumpier, the third was evenly loaded and a little heavier than the second.

There was no highway driving and I never got past 50 mph and only because I wasn't paying attention for a moment. On all trips save for this morning, the truck was in M4 and when loaded was also in Tow/Haul mode. You could feel it working. When I engaged Tow/Haul when loaded too light, you could feel the difference in the transmission, with more weight, the shifting was perfect.

Transmission temperatures only hit 180 when I took the long way to the new house with more stop and go on the last run loaded. Every other time before that it barely broke 170 and was usually in the 160s. While idling during loading, the temp would drop into the 140s.

A final observation, the truck got better mileage towing and idling on E85 compared with 93 octane gasoline. She dropped into the sevens with that mix of gas and E85 and on solid E85 did not drop below 10. DIC showed 10.4 mpg this morning after dropping off the trailer.

Love this truck!

P.S. MPGs would have been better had I the skills to back up in one try instead of ten or more! LOL What a show I put on for the neighbors!

Last edited:

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alrighty now, I'm back on the air, err internet. Had to leave the old house and get a new one. Have a new appreciation for my truck. She did everything she was asked to do again and did so flawlessly.

For the moves, we had to put our stuff into storage. So I borrowed a friend's new 14 foot dual axle ( https://www.snappertrailers.com/product/af-7x14ta2l-wh-r-rvbl-plus3-height-catalog/ ) , extra tall trailer (6'6" clear inside) which weighed about 2,300 pounds empty with a GVWR or 7,500. I asked him if it needed a 2" or 1-7/8" ball and he said, "Yeah". I asked him if the coupler height was 16" or 18" and he answered in the affirmative again! So we took a trip to Wally World late one night and bought a Reese 5-1/4" drop hitch ball mount and a 2" ball. Put the ball on the mount in the parking lot and went over and hooked up the trailer. No lights. Towed it anyway to his shop where we determined the problem was my truck and not the trailer. With help from Pete and another trip to Wally World, replaced a fuse and cleaned all the sand out of the electrical connector so the plug would go all the way in this time, lights!

Truck was on a mix of E85 and gasoline and the mileage from all the idling while unloading went all the way down to the sevens. Truck towed just fine, trip to storage lot was not far and speed was 45 at most. Empty, it bounced around a bit, as it did when improperly loaded! We paid better attention to loading it and the ride was great. It wasn't until the 3rd pull when the trailer was mostly empty with just my giant cast iron table saw at the ramp and a couple of guys walking into the rear did we learn that the 2" ball was too small, the trailer lifted right off the ball! I slowed down to 40 on the return trip for the last load and loaded the front a little heavy and we got through it.

Doing a little research from my phone's small screen, Reese has an adjustable hitch with a clevis for towing. 5-1/4" drop was still a little high (and only rated for 5,000 pounds!), the coupler height was 16" and the truck's receiver sits at 24". The rear of my truck with the dumb suspension (ZW7 only) sits high, so under load it should settle nice with a 6" drop. I picked up the Reese Tactical Adjustable Ball Mount (7089400) on sale at Tractor Supply but it only comes with a 2" ball. By the time I got around to ordering it from Amazon in preparation for the next move from storage to new place, they were sold out. So I had to drive down to Dania Beach's Bass Pro Shops and pick up the special 2-5/16" ball with long 1" shank. Goodness, I'm so glad I don't live in Broward County anymore, the traffic and nuts on the road were the same as Miami-Dade! Wasn't even rush hour either! Except for you Gary! LOL

As an aside, at 65 mph the truck got 15.8 mpg going south and 15.3 mpg @ 66 mph on the return leg north without resetting the DIC for the city driving to the store and parking. All E85 @ 72%. This was consistent with earlier testing.

With more help and expert packing, one of the guys also has good taste in trucks, drives a 2013 Sierra, we emptied the storage lockers and repaired to our new home in just three runs. The first was heaviest but she was perfectly loaded and level. The nose maybe a hair high. This tow was the smoothest, about 12 miles and 35 minutes. On the second, the tongue was loaded a little light and the ride was a little bumpier, the third was evenly loaded and a little heavier than the second.

There was no highway driving and I never got past 50 mph and only because I wasn't paying attention for a moment. On all trips save for this morning, the truck was in M4 and when loaded was also in Tow/Haul mode. You could feel it working. When I engaged Tow/Haul when loaded too light, you could feel the difference in the transmission, with more weight, the shifting was perfect.

Transmission temperatures only hit 180 when I took the long way to the new house with more stop and go on the last run loaded. Every other time before that it barely broke 170 and was usually in the 160s. While idling during loading, the temp would drop into the 140s.

A final observation, the truck got better mileage towing and idling on E85 compared with 93 octane gasoline. She dropped into the sevens with that mix of gas and E85 and on solid E85 did not drop below 10. DIC showed 10.4 mpg this morning after dropping off the trailer.

Love this truck!

P.S. MPGs would have been better had I the skills the back up in one try instead of ten or more! LOL What a show I put on for the neighbors!
Glad you’re back james..;)

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome back!

All this time I thought you were away on a missionary trip or something. I'm nosy and can't help but to pry, but you made it sound like it was an unplanned and sudden uprooting. I hope it wasn't due to unfortunate circumstances, but am glad you're back in a home and present.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645