Tech 2 Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TJ Baker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gotta say I am a little shy to try updating calibrations in the envoy yet. Maybe I will try tomorrow.

I am of the mindset of if there is not a specific reason or need to update a module I will not do so.

I did update a junkyard 2003 TrailBlazer PCM ($15) on the benchtop just to become familiar with the process as well as snoop the class 2 data bus during the event for curiosity.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am of the mindset of if there is not a specific reason or need to update a module I will not do so.

I did update a junkyard 2003 TrailBlazer PCM ($15) on the benchtop just to become familiar with the process as well as snoop the class 2 data bus during the event for curiosity.
There’s always the chance you’ll brick the module, and then you get to buy another one which THEN creates the need to at least program it to your vehicle and while you’re at it, it’s good to check for updates! Don’t ask me how I know. :gathering:

TJ Baker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the Envoy I still will get the gauge drop and UNKNOWN DRIVER but only when I request info from it for SPS but I don't have any stored communication DTCs after the event. I am unsure if this is normal or not.

Well I have as you know a 2002 GMT360 and have literally used my Tech 2 hundreds of times including requesting SPS data with it and have never experienced any gauge drop or unknown driver events or anything like that.

I am still of the notion there is some hidden issue with your Envoy.

TJ Baker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s always the chance you’ll brick the module, and then you get to buy another one which THEN creates the need to at least program it to your vehicle and while you’re at it, it’s good to check for updates! Don’t ask me how I know. :gathering:

I HAVE swapped in a junkyard PCM with my TrailBlazer, ran the security relearn and it ran fine. Did it just for the experiment and recorded the class 2 data stream while doing it for later analysis. Also then swapped back my original PCM. I can get used PCMs here for under $20 at the Upull.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

Well I have as you know a 2002 GMT360 and have literally used my Tech 2 hundreds of times including requesting SPS data with it and have never experienced any gauge drop or unknown driver events or anything like that.

I am still of the notion there is some hidden issue with your Envoy.
There very well could be an issue with the Envoy. I have several calibrations with updates available but the last time I tried to update it it failed and I had to pull the battery cable to get it to start again. All was good after that. I wish I could find out for sure if its the truck or the tool.

TJ Baker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still think it might be the tool. Here is what it does to my 13 Burb when I request info. I don’t think this is normal.

So before seeing this video I had thought you only had this type of error on the Envoy.

That sure looks like something is bad with the tool.

For comparisons sake tomorrow I will make and post a short video of my Tech 2 and TrailBlazer requesting SPS data. For the 2002 TrailBlazer/Envoy I can even show and explain each instruction the Tech 2 sends and the data it receives!!

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
So before seeing this video I had thought you only had this type of error on the Envoy.

That sure looks like something is bad with the tool.

For comparisons sake tomorrow I will make and post a short video of my Tech 2 and TrailBlazer requesting SPS data. For the 2002 TrailBlazer/Envoy I can even show and explain each instruction the Tech 2 sends and the data it receives!!
I decided to try pulling the info to see if it acted weird. Sure enough.

3JFamily

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying this Vident scanner for my 2006 Suburban:

Am I going to be able to read live feed ac functions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n