Tech 2 Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
This!! ^^^ I think I may have had the power cord plugged into the cable and not the VCI module.

The instruction manual for the Tech 2 says to supply power at the DLC cable while programming so that the ground is provided to the vehicles OBD2 port as well... or something to that effect.

I wonder what would happen if you supply power to the VCI port from the AC adapter AND hooked the cigarette lighter adapter to the DLC cables power port?

I can't imagine it would hurt anything.

Maybe I will try that the next time I have mine hooked up.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when I was trying to do the evap test I had mine plugged into ac power at the bottom of the tech2 worked just fine, the test requires you shut off and restart while the tech2 is attached and in the procedure, when it wasn't plugged into ac power it would shut off and reboot when you restarted the truck

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Here is a question for those of you with a Tech 2 clone.

I noticed that sometimes I can't make a selection with the "soft keys" but not all the time. 99% of the time the soft keys work fine, it is only on certain screens that it won't work.

I first noticed this when I hooked mine up for the first time to run the self tests. I went into the menus to set the time on the Tech 2 and when I had finished it had a soft key pop up at the bottom of the screen to save the info or something to that effect. When I pressed it to save it didn't do anything. I ended up hitting the exit button and then went back into that menu and the time was still set where I had set it so it didn't seem to matter that I wasn't able to save it with the soft key.

The second time I noticed it was when I turned on the "Afterblow" feature on the blower motor the other night. Again after navigating the menus and selecting Afterblow, which puts an asterisks next to it so you know you have selected it, the soft key showed a save button that I was unable to select. But when I exited the menu and returned into it the asterisks was still there next to the Afterblow feature so the soft key not working doesn't seem to be a problem, I was just curious if anyone else's does the same thing?

Seems like maybe a minor glitch.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a question for those of you with a Tech 2 clone.

I noticed that sometimes I can't make a selection with the "soft keys" but not all the time. 99% of the time the soft keys work fine, it is only on certain screens that it won't work.

I first noticed this when I hooked mine up for the first time to run the self tests. I went into the menus to set the time on the Tech 2 and when I had finished it had a soft key pop up at the bottom of the screen to save the info or something to that effect. When I pressed it to save it didn't do anything. I ended up hitting the exit button and then went back into that menu and the time was still set where I had set it so it didn't seem to matter that I wasn't able to save it with the soft key.

The second time I noticed it was when I turned on the "Afterblow" feature on the blower motor the other night. Again after navigating the menus and selecting Afterblow, which puts an asterisks next to it so you know you have selected it, the soft key showed a save button that I was unable to select. But when I exited the menu and returned into it the asterisks was still there next to the Afterblow feature so the soft key not working doesn't seem to be a problem, I was just curious if anyone else's does the same thing?

Seems like maybe a minor glitch.
I think that is just the way the tech2 are it will show options that are not really available, when you press the button it does nothing I think that is normal operation. why I don't know

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Another Tech2 clone question. Or quirk??

When connecting to our 2002 Envoy I do the following operations and get the following results:

1. Connect tech2 to OBD port.
  2. Key on engine off.
  3. Power on tech2
  4. Notice DIC says “UNKNOWN DRIVER”
  5. Continue to connect to truck with tech2: Diagnostics/year/model/body.
  6. Receive the following message:
F5D7FB85-E195-4078-82ED-6B46D0B7386A.jpeg
7.Continue/HVAC/Special Functions/Output Controls/Motor/Actuator Tests

8. receive the following message:74FCC37D-8A54-4345-A0A0-89821F16ACC6.jpeg

At this point I turn the tech 2 off and back on then follow the same path. I don’t get the warning about the VCIM and it connects normally.

Any ideas

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

When connecting to our 2002 Envoy I do the following operations and get the following results:

2. Key on engine off.
  3. Power on tech2
  5. Continue to connect to truck with tech2: Diagnostics/year/model/body.
  6. Receive the following message:
View attachment 263550
7.Continue/HVAC/Special Functions/Output Controls/Motor/Actuator Tests

8. receive the following message:View attachment 263551

At this point I turn the tech 2 off and back on then follow the same path. I don’t get the warning about the VCIM and it connects normally.

Any ideas
hard to say on a 02 but onstar function if it has it would be on it's last leg due to the battery going dead, even if you get a message like that just ignore it. do other hvac test's work?

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
hard to say on a 02 but onstar function if it has it would be on it's last leg due to the battery going dead, even if you get a message like that just ignore it. do other hvac test's work?
Yeah, everything works the second time I try to connect. All the tests work and I was able to fix the mode door issue this morning. I just thought it was strange. I may try tomorrow after waiting a bit after turning the key on. Maybe a module is slow to wake up.

TJ Baker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can check the same on my 02 TrailBlazer. I have the same VCIM module and it seems to communicate on the serual data line just fine. I don't remember ever seeing that particular message.

TJ Baker

Full Access Member
Reaction score

2. Key on engine off.
  3. Power on tech2

I see this Unknown Driver when there are communications issues with the BCM.

Does this happen each time you follow this procedure?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts