Tech 2 Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
the vxdiag comes with techII win and gds II software, it's a little tricky to get the software installed and working but once you have it setup it works fine just like a techII, I have both and a mdi

Does this mean that it comes with the diagnostic and programming software. All I would need is a subscription to download the programs from the ACDelco site?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does this mean that it comes with the diagnostic and programming software. All I would need is a subscription to download the programs from the ACDelco site?
yes, in any case you still have to pay the $40 for 2yrs of calibrations (per vin number) from TDS, generally it does the programming while actively connected to the internet, I haven't tried to download a calibration to install later I don't know if that is even possible, might be.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
yes, in any case you still have to pay the $40 for 2yrs of calibrations (per vin number) from TDS, generally it does the programming while actively connected to the internet, I haven't tried to download a calibration to install later I don't know if that is even possible, might be.

I believe it is only a pass through for the programming. I just want to make sure all the downloads needed are included. Other than the actual program file for the module. That I understand requires the fee and subscription.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe it is only a pass through for the programming. I just want to make sure all the downloads needed are included. Other than the actual program file for the module. That I understand requires the fee and subscription.
I think you (or I )might be confused
the software for the vxdiag will be a on disc in the box and will require updates that it will download online.
calibrations and files that may be required for modules on the vehicle will only be on the tds website and is all done via the vin number

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I think you (or I )might be confused
the software for the vxdiag will be a on disc in the box and will require updates that it will download online.
calibrations and files that may be required for modules on the vehicle will only be on the tds website and is all done via the vin number

I think we are actually on the same page.

If I understand correctly the software on the disc for the xvdiag includes tech2win which will allow troubleshooting and testing but calibrations and files that may be required for modules on the vehicle will only be on the tds website.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we are actually on the same page.

If I understand correctly the software on the disc for the xvdiag includes tech2win which will allow troubleshooting and testing but calibrations and files that may be required for modules on the vehicle will only be on the tds website.
yes it will do that plus all the regular diagnosis that a standard tech2 would do (offline), there was supposedly something tech2 win can't do that a tech2 would but it must be something obscure because I couldn't find the details anywhere.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chiming in here with a word of caution on the programming side and looking for ideas. I have a Tech 2 that's new to me, but I've gotten it set up and working with a Dell Latitude Windows 10 laptop for the pass-thru capability from the acdelcotds website subscription tied to my VIN.

I'm a former Windows software developer, so I'm pretty comfortable with tech in general, but I'm having mixed results with getting the programming process to complete reliably. I'm running the Tech 2 with Candi module and the laptop all with their AC power adapters, but it takes 2-3 attempts for each module I try to program for the process to complete without erroring out. I haven't bricked anything yet but the potential is there. Anyone experience this and have a reliable solution?

Cheers,
Dave

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have only programmed 3 modules, 2 HVAC controls and one BCM. I bricked the first HVAC module and was using Win7 (which is unsupported) against advice of GM’s Tech Line. I upgraded the laptop to Win10 and haven’t had any other issues. To be fair, I didn’t know what I was doing the first time and had support on the phone when I bricked that module. What errors are you encountering?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have only programmed 3 modules, 2 HVAC controls and one BCM. I bricked the first HVAC module and was using Win7 (which is unsupported) against advice of GM’s Tech Line. I upgraded the laptop to Win10 and haven’t had any other issues. To be fair, I didn’t know what I was doing the first time and had support on the phone when I bricked that module. What errors are you encountering?
Thanks for asking. I should’ve written them down but didn’t. It was a generic error of some kind that the programming process couldn’t be completed. But then the headlights would blink off and back on and the thing would reconnect automatically and try again until it completed. Maybe it was normal?

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
labans