Tech 2 Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
There should be like a telephone type cable and 9-pin serial adapter that came with it. The cable plugs into the adapter and becomes a 9-pin serial plug. Most newer PCs don't have the 9-pin serial port so you have to get a USB to Serial adapter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

sorry, I don’t understand what you mean.

I don’t have a tech2. I want to use a laptop and software instead of a tech2.

Reaction score
sorry, I don’t understand what you mean.

I don’t have a tech2. I want to use a laptop and software instead of a tech2.
Oh, I thought you were asking how to hook the Tech2 up to the laptop to download updates and stuff or review live data logs

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the vxdiag comes with techII win and gds II software, it's a little tricky to get the software installed and working but once you have it setup it works fine just like a techII, I have both and a mdi

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you get the vxdiag when you go to install the software turn off any virus or security software and disable windows security functions or it will just flag or delete files during the install and it will be a pain in the dick

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
if you get the vxdiag when you go to install the software turn off any virus or security software and disable windows security functions or it will just flag or delete files during the install and it will be a pain in the dick
I found a pretty good write up on installing the software. They didn’t sat anything about the security software but I imagine it applies.

Did you research for any other cables or is this about the best option?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found a pretty good write up on installing the software. They didn’t sat anything about the security software but I imagine it applies.

well the best option seems to be a hard drive that has the software pre-installed, they run about $100 the only catch is you have to put it in a lenovo laptop, like a t22 or t23 something like that it says on the website which laptops it will work in, a used lenovo of that model runs about $100-150 (on ebay) depending on the condition, cheaper if you just buy one without a hard drive. another catch is you still have to have the usb adapter, but the software installed on the hard drive seems to be a good bang for the buck.

I only bought the vxdiag because I have all gm vehicles, I have a couple other scanners that will do run of the mill stuff for all makes/models, the vxdiag I think does other makes and models but you have to buy the software separate to unlock it.

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Care to share the write-up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65