Tech 2 Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for asking. I should’ve written them down but didn’t. It was a generic error of some kind that the programming process couldn’t be completed. But then the headlights would blink off and back on and the thing would reconnect automatically and try again until it completed. Maybe it was normal?

Dave
I don’t think it’s normal. Next time take a pic with your phone. I’m curious if it was during the download process. If it was during the actual flash process I’m pretty sure it would brick it. If it was during the download then it’s most likely your internet speed or their server. Are you using Wi-Fi and if so, make sure your signal is strong. I also plug the laptop and Tech2 into AC power, don’t trust the power in your OBD port to power the Tech2 because it’s possible that during the flash process that might momentarily lose power and that causes the Tech2 to restart.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chiming in here with a word of caution on the programming side and looking for ideas. I have a Tech 2 that's new to me, but I've gotten it set up and working with a Dell Latitude Windows 10 laptop for the pass-thru capability from the acdelcotds website subscription tied to my VIN.

I'm a former Windows software developer, so I'm pretty comfortable with tech in general, but I'm having mixed results with getting the programming process to complete reliably. I'm running the Tech 2 with Candi module and the laptop all with their AC power adapters, but it takes 2-3 attempts for each module I try to program for the process to complete without erroring out. I haven't bricked anything yet but the potential is there. Anyone experience this and have a reliable solution?

Cheers,
Dave

It's absolutely crucial that the car battery be fully charged when programming. The error codes on my last attempt alluded to this. Tech support said to leave the battery tender on while programming next time. I have not done pass-thru programming with a laptop yet. I download the VIN and stuff to Tech-2, disconnect, go to my PC, connect Tech-2 to PC and download file and then go back out to the truck. Has worked fine several times so far save for that one.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's absolutely crucial that the car battery be fully charged when programming. The error codes on my last attempt alluded to this. Tech support said to leave the battery tender on while programming next time. I have not done pass-thru programming with a laptop yet. I download the VIN and stuff to Tech-2, disconnect, go to my PC, connect Tech-2 to PC and download file and then go back out to the truck. Has worked fine several times so far save for that one.
I never even thought of trying it that way. Sure would be less cables in the vehicle.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just put a towel on the console and set the laptop on it, put the Tech2 on the passenger seat and use a mouse. I suck at the track pad. That way I don’t even need to touch anything except the mousey except to enter data.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chiming in here with a word of caution on the programming side and looking for ideas. I have a Tech 2 that's new to me, but I've gotten it set up and working with a Dell Latitude Windows 10 laptop for the pass-thru capability from the acdelcotds website subscription tied to my VIN.

I'm a former Windows software developer, so I'm pretty comfortable with tech in general, but I'm having mixed results with getting the programming process to complete reliably. I'm running the Tech 2 with Candi module and the laptop all with their AC power adapters, but it takes 2-3 attempts for each module I try to program for the process to complete without erroring out. I haven't bricked anything yet but the potential is there. Anyone experience this and have a reliable solution?

Cheers,
Dave
Next time you go to use the tech2 take the candi module out and disconnect the cable and adapter and be sure everything is clean (blow it out like a n64 cartridge) and re-seat everything and make it tight and use a different Ethernet cable, also while programming just set it down and let it do it's thing don't be handling it and moving it around, I haven't had any errors like that but I have had some connection problems and it was a broken clip on a cable so it wasn't staying inserted properly. Like others said power the tech2 from a 12vdc source connected to ac power and if you can have the battery on a charger also, most of the programming is only 10 minutes but even that is enough to cause a problem if the battery is not 100%. I was never a developer but I am certified technician I spend most of my time troubleshooting and doing what I noted above will eliminate possible problems.
*also be sure you have the ac/radio and things like that turned off, some programming may require the drivers door to be shut or the parking brake set just depends usually it will prompt you as needed.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also I found out from tech support- if you have an aftermarket stereo head unit, remove the fuse so it can’t power on period. The Tech2 starts off by waking up all the modules in the vehicle and does a handshake with them so it can read it’s programming. If it’s aftermarket it can get hung up trying to communicate with the stereo. If you notice when you look at DTC’s in a vehicle with an aftermarket HU it will have a code for no communication with the radio.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next time you go to use the tech2 take the candi module out and disconnect the cable and adapter and be sure everything is clean (blow it out like a n64 cartridge) and re-seat everything and make it tight and use a different Ethernet cable, also while programming just set it down and let it do it's thing don't be handling it and moving it around, I haven't had any errors like that but I have had some connection problems and it was a broken clip on a cable so it wasn't staying inserted properly. Like others said power the tech2 from a 12vdc source connected to ac power and if you can have the battery on a charger also, most of the programming is only 10 minutes but even that is enough to cause a problem if the battery is not 100%. I was never a developer but I am certified technician I spend most of my time troubleshooting and doing what I noted above will eliminate possible problems.
*also be sure you have the ac/radio and things like that turned off, some programming may require the drivers door to be shut or the parking brake set just depends usually it will prompt you as needed.
Excellent advice, thank you. I was powering both the Tech 2 and the laptop from their respective 120v power supplies, plugged into the garage wall outlets, so no issue there. I did not have a tender on the battery though, but it's a good, 3 month old AGM battery. All the same, I will put a smart charger on it next time I try. I'll also clean and re-seat the cables firmly as you suggest. On the ethernet cable, I do have some good Cat6 ones. Will standard Cat5e or Cat6 ethernet cables work in place of the cheesy flat gray one that comes with the unit?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also I found out from tech support- if you have an aftermarket stereo head unit, remove the fuse so it can’t power on period. The Tech2 starts off by waking up all the modules in the vehicle and does a handshake with them so it can read it’s programming. If it’s aftermarket it can get hung up trying to communicate with the stereo. If you notice when you look at DTC’s in a vehicle with an aftermarket HU it will have a code for no communication with the radio.
Good catch. My '12 Denali has its factory HU, but my '07 does not, which is what I'll be working on this weekend. Excellent timing on this advice, thanks!

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting - I'd like to try that. Does the Tech 2 power down when you carry it between the truck and the computer? Maybe it doesn't matter?