Tech 2 Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting - I'd like to try that. Does the Tech 2 power down when you carry it between the truck and the computer? Maybe it doesn't matter?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent advice, thank you. I was powering both the Tech 2 and the laptop from their respective 120v power supplies, plugged into the garage wall outlets, so no issue there. I did not have a tender on the battery though, but it's a good, 3 month old AGM battery. All the same, I will put a smart charger on it next time I try. I'll also clean and re-seat the cables firmly as you suggest. On the ethernet cable, I do have some good Cat6 ones. Will standard Cat5e or Cat6 ethernet cables work in place of the cheesy flat gray one that comes with the unit?
yes

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting - I'd like to try that. Does the Tech 2 power down when you carry it between the truck and the computer? Maybe it doesn't matter?

Yes it does but the information is saved. I once got the information from the truck, went to the PC and downloaded the information and then got side tracked. The next time we used the Tech-2 it was for something else and then when ready to program had to start all over again.

Had to select the highest year (mine is not listed) when downloading vehicle information under SPS before disconnecting from the truck and going inside to the PC.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it does but the information is saved. I once got the information from the truck, went to the PC and downloaded the information and then got side tracked. The next time we used the Tech-2 it was for something else and then when ready to program had to start all over again.

Had to select the highest year (mine is not listed) when downloading vehicle information under SPS before disconnecting from the truck and going inside to the PC.
Excellent. And you already predicted and answered the next question I was going to ask, so thank you for that, too!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So you have to hook up to the truck and select the vehicle you’re programming before hooking up to the pc and downloading the software?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you have to hook up to the truck and select the vehicle you’re programming before hooking up to the pc and downloading the software?
I have done it that way to check for updated calibrations but I think I had it connected to power still, you can go into the 1st menu and read the calibrations on the vehicle and then connect to tds and it will tell you if there are any updates available

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have done it that way to check for updated calibrations but I think I had it connected to power still, you can go into the 1st menu and read the calibrations on the vehicle and then connect to tds and it will tell you if there are any updates available
You mean read calibrations, remove it from the vehicle and take it to the pc and connect to tds?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean read calibrations, remove it from the vehicle and take it to the pc and connect to tds?
sounds like James did it that way, I had mine connected via a 100' cable to the pc in the house, that was before I had a tablet and had not made it work on my old laptop

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like James did it that way, I had mine connected via a 100' cable to the pc in the house, that was before I had a tablet and had not made it work on my old laptop
I’m trying to figure out how to not have it connected to the pc and do programming. Your way is the same as I’ve done with the exception of the length of the cable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues