Replacing my control arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I have only had the Tahoe for a couple of months the drivers side wheel bearing was replaced a few thousand miles back with a MOOG. Check out this youtube video.
I am going to jack it up tomorrow remove the wheel and detach the tierod end and rotate by hand to make sure that it is JUST the upper ball joint. Previous owner says they replaced both upper and lower ball joints on drivers side about a year ago. The UCA has MS stamped into the arm so whatever brand that is it does not appear to be a quality part that will last.

Whoa.

OP
OP
JaysTahoe90

JaysTahoe90

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have only had the Tahoe for a couple of months the drivers side wheel bearing was replaced a few thousand miles back with a MOOG. Check out this youtube video.
I am going to jack it up tomorrow remove the wheel and detach the tierod end and rotate by hand to make sure that it is JUST the upper ball joint. Previous owner says they replaced both upper and lower ball joints on drivers side about a year ago. The UCA has MS stamped into the arm so whatever brand that is it does not appear to be a quality part that will last. I might be wrong on the body lift maybe it is a suspension lift I have never owned a lifted truck so really not familiar with the terms. I have a copy of the recipet where the previous owner had it lifted with wheels and tires and it simply states 3.5" lift?
View attachment 213856
I had the exact same noise going on before my front axles went out. Luckily I wasn’t driving. But anyways after my guy replaced my front axles, the noise went away

OP
OP
JaysTahoe90

JaysTahoe90

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the exact same noise going on before my front axles went out. Luckily I wasn’t driving. But anyways after my guy replaced my front axles, the noise went away
This what it looked like when my front passenger went out

30B2975B-63B8-4121-9762-32760E0D3815.jpeg

Beto_Z71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
To hop on the question, I recently did a Leveling kit on my 03 Tahoe z71, I know I need control arms because I got camber even after alignment . Suggesting on what parts to get ? I’m trying to keep suv for a while .

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided not to buy a special set of control arms for my high mileage 09 with the 3.5" leveling lift kit. On my +205k truck I could not justify the extra cost especially since the drivers side was recently done with stock type parts. I just ordered passenger side Moog UCA and LCA plus a new damper bushing for the steering rack from Rock Auto. Around 200 bones. All pieces are here now so I have a project for this weekend Haha.
Note: After jacking up the truck disconnecting the tierods to isolate each steering part I found to my complete surprise that it was my PASSENGER side ball joints that were making the noise. It is almost impossible to tell with everything all hooked together. Check out this youtube.
Not sure how the rack and pinion is set up on the earlier models but on my 09 with a 3.5" leveling kit lift it puts the tierod at a steep angle and tends to wear the rack damper bushing.
The toe changes as you drive destroying the front tires!!!!!!!!!!
All around I guess the 3.5" leveling lift kit is probably just not a good idea unless you go with a full blown kit that compensates the angles correctly. BIG $$$$$$$$ for an old used Beater ride IMHO. She does look cool though LOL
09 Tahoe zeke.jpg

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steering damper bushing for a NonHybrid Hydaulis steering rack Gm part #22960484 will not fit. The Hybrid electric steering uses a bushing that is approx 1/2" wider. I am bummed. I cut some .020 brasss shim and used it between the worn bushing and the support bracket to tighten it up. That works pretty good for now but I suspect that the bushing will loosen back up over time and mileage.
Existing steering damper bushing has a factory part number molded into it NR+BR-0-S4532-B7010-A Isearched the internet with no help on that part number. I have a email in to a place that re-manufactures the steering racks to see if they will sell me a bushing only.
IMG_7676.jpg IMG_7677.jpg IMG_7678.jpg IMG_7679.jpg IMG_7680.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157